Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 3:14:12 PM EDT
Hi all.

I inherited my Dad's Norinco 1911A1 .45

It shoots great, but has seen better days.

The finish is really worn, and I'd like to get the whole thing refinished, polished, and maybe put some Novak sights on it.

Does anyone here have any reccomendations on gunsmiths who have done this type of work on your own gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Virtually every state has at least one good 1911 gunsmith in it. The finish needs to be done by those who specialize in it, IMO. Robar, out in AZ, has more options for finishes than you can imagine.

Since you're in VA, I'd check around Quantico (sp?) for a 1911 'smith. Should be some retired Marine armorers around there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
There are dozens of great finishes that canbe applied to the pistol. Just remember that if you insist on having the entire gun polished it will be incredibly expensive compared to a matte finish.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
www.wilsoncombat.com

They work on Norincos.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I realize the sentimental value for you but also you should realize you are talking spending more on customizing this gun that it would sell for or sold for new.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are dozens of great finishes that canbe applied to the pistol. Just remember that if you insist on having the entire gun polished it will be incredibly expensive compared to a matte finish.

Yes, a matte finish was what I was looking for..thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I can parkerize it for $60, and install the Novak sights for $30 plus the cost of the sights.  The parkerizing I use will bring it back to the original shade of parkerizing it came with.

Balming
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top