Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2015 8:31:33 PM EDT
I've been wanting to buy a 9mm pistol and a suppressor for a while and finally got the money for the pistol. I think I found a couple of options but unsure which one I should get / which is better for a can.

1.FN FNS 9 or maybe the 9C (would need to order a new barrel for both)

2.S&W M&P 9 (comes with a threaded and non threaded barrel)

Also not entirely sure which can I want to go with either. Since this will be my first can I would like to keep it cheap and somewhat simple........So any advice or suggestions for pistols or cans would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you held them both? I find that unlike rifles, handguns are very personal. I always thought I wanted an H&K or an FN to go with my Glocks, then I held them and decided otherwise. I think that should be your determining factor.

Personally I'd go with the M&P.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
My VP9 works well. I hear the SIG P226 suppresses really well. I have a threaded barrel on the way for mine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You should buy the handgun that fits your purpose best. That being said, not all handguns will cycle reliably with a suppressor.
My favorite setup now is the M&P 9 with Silencerco Osprey.  That being said, I carry a Glock 19 Gen4 and a Glock 26. The M&P is too big to conceal carry IMO. I have a few 1911s and HK handguns with Cans but they are more for fun and I wouldn't say to buy them as your only setup. I have no experience with suppressed FN 9mms. The VP9 is good but gets expensive considering an M&P with both barrels is around $499. I like the Osprey 9 on my M&P but not the Glock because on a glock it won't allow for some lights to be mounted. The M&P 9 allows the osprey to be used with a TRL1 mounted on it too.

Personally the best all around set up is probably the Glock 19 gen 4 with a can. If I were to buy a 9mm can tomorrow it would be the AAC illusion 9. I think you'll be happy with almost any of the big brand 9mm cans though so find a good deal and buy it. You can probably find a Tirant or Tundra for under $400 delivered.

if this is your first silencer, get ready to buy many more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I know the fnx series fits me (fns series doesnt look much different) quite well but to pricy for me. And I would never buy a glock for a couple reasons1 being they don't fit me well and 2. My stepdads  police department had to send back all of their glock because the frames were splitting in half.

And I haven't found anywhere that has the SW in stock. I could swap out the barrel in my 1911 but I figured a 9mm wouldn be quieter than a .45

Also I got a Walther for my carry gun. I basically just want another one for fun
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
For my money it would be a Sig or a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
For my money it would be a Sig or a Glock.  SilencerCo has threaded bartels for several Glocks and the Sig P226.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For my money it would be a Sig or a Glock.  SilencerCo has threaded bartels for several Glocks and the Sig P226.
View Quote

Sigs are a bit out of my price range and glocks have never felt right in my hands unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sigs are a bit out of my price range and glocks have never felt right in my hands unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of the two choices you mentioned I'd go with the M&P. As far as a can, I have a AAC Ti-Rant .45 that I really like.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the M&P.  Do you have a 45 or ever plan on getting a 45?  If so, you might want to get a 45 can so it can pull double-duty.  Look at the Silencerco Octanes, the Griffin Revolutions, or the AAC Ti-Rants.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2 cents - Save more money and get a HK P30/VP9. If they don't fit your hand nothing will.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another vote for the M&P.  Do you have a 45 or ever plan on getting a 45?  If so, you might want to get a 45 can so it can pull double-duty.  Look at the Silencerco Octanes, the Griffin Revolutions, or the AAC Ti-Rants.
View Quote

Yes I do have a .45 it's a 1911 but needs a threaded barrel, not sure how much a barrel would cost. Might have to look at midway quick.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take a strong look at a 226.  As far as a 9mm host, it's my personal favorite.  I know I'm not alone in that statement either.

As everyone has said, handguns are pretty personal... so a lot is just what you like the best
View Quote

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the 226 I used to have one. I sold it when I was hurting for money. But I just wanna keep everything cheap-ish
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes I do have a .45 it's a 1911 but needs a threaded barrel, not sure how much a barrel would cost. Might have to look at midway quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know if you find a budget barrel
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found one for $70 may need a new bushing for it depending on the fit. They also have sigand storm lake barrels for a much higher price

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/983794/swenson-semi-drop-in-barrel-1911-government-45-acp-1-in-16-twist-575-government-threaded-578-28-thread-steel-matte-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Out of the two choices you mentioned I'd go with the M&P. As far as a can, I have a AAC Ti-Rant .45 that I really like.
View Quote

How quiet does she get with .45 subsonic ammo?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you looked at the CZ-P09/P07? They made both with threaded barrels
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just took a quick look at the online and they don't appear to be too expensive. They actually look quite nice for that price.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just took a quick look at the online and they don't appear to be too expensive. They actually look quite nice for that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both (without the threaded barrels), great shooters.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My P09 is my favorite pistol and host. Just amazing for $500 or so. Plenty of upgrades for later too if you get the itch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my Ti-Rant on my HK USP .45 Tactical, and it sounds about like a nail gun. It's very quiet and I have dispatched a few critters in my yard at night with it. Every time I let someone shoot it that's never fired a suppressed gun before are amazed at how quiet it is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another great low cost option.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Hmm the cz sound like it may be the way to go. My coworker said to buy a S&W model 59 and get a threaded barrel for it. Apparently it used to be a duty pistol that was match quality. $360 on gun broker
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmm the cz sound like it may be the way to go. My coworker said to buy a S&W model 59 and get a threaded barrel for it. Apparently it used to be a duty pistol that was match quality. $360 on gun broker
View Quote

I'm a fan of 3rd gen S&W pistols, but they are getting extremely difficult to get parts for. The CZ being a new model pistol with a solid warranty that's already had all the fitting done to the barrel (you'll have to get that aftermarket barrel fitted to the S&W, if you can even find one) that $360 pistol with get closer to $600 rather quickly, and then you'll still have an older gun that's harder to upgrade. If your trying to be economical about it the CZ is the way to go. Hop on in to the CZ forum, they have a rather rabid following
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I wish I could get my 5906 threaded
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I can't even find a threaded barrel for the sw 59. I mean if you really wanted to thread it you could have an extension welded on, ream the inside of the extension and true the outside of it then thread it. You would need a good smith or a tool maker (how I make my living). But it's looking like it might not get much better than a cz.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#29]
suppressed pistols are retarded.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever shot one? First time I did it was fnx 45 tactical with an osprey can. Got hooked on it within 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Just a heads up OP. Idk if anybody is making a barrel for the 9c. But for the price of a threaded barrel for the FNS 9(220 stainless- 240 black) and 3 month waiting time. It's kind of foolish to go this route. Only people offering threaded barrels for the FNS series is EFK. Which has a less than stellar reputation. I had my FNS 40 which I loved and wanted to surpress but the barrel option left a sour taste for me. So I traded it for a gen 3 glock 17 and couldn't be happier. But YMMV
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dumbest comment of the day and it's not even 10 o'clock
congrats
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just a heads up OP. Idk if anybody is making a barrel for the 9c. But for the price of a threaded barrel for the FNS 9(220 stainless- 240 black) and 3 month waiting time. It's kind of foolish to go this route. Only people offering threaded barrels for the FNS series is EFK. Which has a less than stellar reputation. I had my FNS 40 which I loved and wanted to surpress but the barrel option left a sour taste for me. So I traded it for a gen 3 glock 17 and couldn't be happier. But YMMV
View Quote

Much appreciated. I did start to look at the barrel options out there for the fans 9 and 9c and there isnt much out there. So I may go look at a smith or a cz today if any shops around here have any.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

congrats
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

congrats

Dumbest comment I've seem in a month.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Much appreciated. I did start to look at the barrel options out there for the fans 9 and 9c and there isnt much out there. So I may go look at a smith or a cz today if any shops around here have any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have patience, the FNS 9l barrel should be released to buy individually within a few months. Send your slide and new barrel off to a reputable dealer and have the longer barrel threaded. I was gonna do this but I ordered my osprey on a whim and there was no date set in stone for the release yet. One day I'll get an FNS suppressed but for now it'll have to wait
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot one? First time I did it was fnx 45 tactical with an osprey can. Got hooked on it within 10 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own 5 pistol cans and yes, suppressed handguns are retarded. They are a range toy. thats it.

the only one that actually gets used is the m&p with the IR laser for shooting shit at night.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I own 5 pistol cans and yes, suppressed handguns are retarded. They are a range toy. thats it.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12144794_10100200417954571_1092822352320773379_n.jpg?oh=16027c549083557b2f529da007812441&oe=56CAD6FF

the only one that actually gets used is the m&p with the IR laser for shooting shit at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12144794_10100200417954571_1092822352320773379_n.jpg?oh=16027c549083557b2f529da007812441&oe=56CAD6FF

Generally yes they are just a range toy. Still fun to own though.
Personally I think they're perfect for getting rid of raccoons and pests at night. A rifle is just too long and annoying to carry around the farm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is blasphemy in the suppressor forum, but I have to agree with BCV on this - maybe not retarded - but I really, really don't care for suppressed handguns.

I bought an Octane .45 to suppress my Glock 22. I hated the way it changed the balance of the handgun. You cannot shoot with the same dexterity and speed as an unsuppressed handgun. That's okay, because I registered my Glock as an SBR. So I tried it like that. While I loved the Glock as an SBR, again I didn't really like it as a suppressed SBR. Much better than as a suppressed handgun, but it still gives an odd recoil impulse when the booster kicks in.

I was put off by it enough that I bought an MP5 to use my Octane .45 on. I absolutely love it on there. The Form 1 is processing on the MP5, and I listed my Glock SBR in the EE. So the silencer that I originally bought to suppress a handgun? It's now dedicated to an MP5K-PDW, and I have no intention of suppressing handguns in the future.

I really prefer shooting rifles to handguns anyway, but suppressed handguns are weird. The balance is weird, the recoil impulse is weird, the size is weird. You can't shoot and maneuver with half the agility of an unsuppressed handgun. So from my personal experience, rifles need suppressed. Centerfire handguns don't. They are, like BCV said, a range toy. That's fine if that's what you want, and a TON of people want to suppress handguns - but it's not to his taste and he's not alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Personally I think they're perfect for getting rid of raccoons and pests at night. A rifle is just too long and annoying to carry around the farm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even when we go to the range, they get left home. When we are at the ranch, my MK18 or that M&P22 goes everywhere with me for dispatching duties.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know this is blasphemy in the suppressor forum, but I have to agree with BCV on this - maybe not retarded - but I really, really don't care for suppressed handguns.

I bought an Octane .45 to suppress my Glock 22. I hated the way it changed the balance of the handgun. You cannot shoot with the same dexterity and speed as an unsuppressed handgun. That's okay, because I registered my Glock as an SBR. So I tried it like that. While I loved the Glock as an SBR, again I didn't really like it as a suppressed SBR. Much better than as a suppressed handgun, but it still gives an odd recoil impulse when the booster kicks in.

I was put off by it enough that I bought an MP5 to use my Octane .45 on. I absolutely love it on there. The Form 1 is processing on the MP5, and I listed my Glock SBR in the EE. So the silencer that I originally bought to suppress a handgun? It's now dedicated to an MP5K-PDW, and I have no intention of suppressing handguns in the future.

I really prefer shooting rifles to handguns anyway, but suppressed handguns are weird. The balance is weird, the recoil impulse is weird, the size is weird. You can't shoot and maneuver with half the agility of an unsuppressed handgun. So from my personal experience, rifles need suppressed. Centerfire handguns don't. They are, like BCV said, a range toy. That's fine if that's what you want, and a TON of people want to suppress handguns - but it's not to his taste and he's not alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its not blasphemy, it's enlightenment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Then maybe I'm just weird. When I tried out my friendschedule suppressed 45 I like the recoil and the way it handled better than my 1911. But you know Im also the weird guy that hates glocks and refuses to ever own one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Spend the extra cash and get a VP9...

Or at least get a P30.

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

even when we go to the range, they get left home. When we are at the ranch, my MK18 or that M&P22 goes everywhere with me for dispatching duties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow don't you sound like a bundle of joy to go shoot with.  So you bought 5 pistol cans and you couldn't figure out after the first purchase that they are "retarted"?

Op I would look at CZ or get the M&P.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah the fact that you own 5 kinda makes me think you went full retard
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#45]

I am... because I have fun stuff and lots of land to use said stuff. But pistol cans... they stay home when we go have fun with said fun stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

the fact that you think I own 5 for strictly pistol use makes me think you are full retard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

the fact that you think I own 5 for strictly pistol use makes me think you are full retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're in the same boat. I love my Octane .45, I just don't love it on pistols. I think everyone should own a handgun caliber silencer, but I wish someone, anyone had a dissenting opinion before I bought mine. It seems like everyone just loves, loves loves their suppressed pistols, and nobody talks about the way they actually feel when you shoot them even a little bit dynamically.

Now I'm wondering if you and I are the only two guys on this site who don't like shooting suppressed centerfire handguns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe it or not, not all of us are super funk mall ninjas like yoself and are perfectly content having guns "just" as range toys  I'm not sure how that makes them retarded though
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now I'm wondering if you and I are the only two guys on this site who don't like shooting suppressed centerfire handguns.
View Quote

It's ok to not like shooting suppressed pistols or even making a comment along those lines... but to call them retarded, is, well... retarded
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Can't we all just get along.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top