Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 8:09:19 PM EDT
I'm planning to buy a DSA FAL soon and would like some input on which accessories I should get.  I would rather do it "right" than "cheap", even if it means I have to save up for a few more months to purchase it.

I want something that can be used for either CQB or mid-range work, depending on the optics.... something along the lines of an Aimpoint or ACOG.

Anyway, here is the base model I'm looking at:

www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58C&storeid=1&image=sa58carbine.gif

My questions mostly pertain to the options listed there:

1) Do I want the upper or lower receiver or the barrel to be steel instead of aluminum?

2) Is the full length rail well-made?

3) DSA lists several bipods on that page.  Is there any reason to go with one of those over a Harris bipod?

4) They offer a match grade trigger.  I've read that FAL triggers typically aren't that great, so I'd like a better trigger.  However, I know that with ARs, it's typically best to leave the trigger alone since custom jobs may be problematic if used for anything beyond competition shooting.  I want a trigger that is 100% reliable.  Is their match grade trigger a good upgrade, or should I stick with the stock trigger?

5) What is the best flash hider that isn't too long?  (For an 18" barrel)

6) Any other recommendations/suggestions?

I'm not very familiar with FALs, so any comments would be apprecatiated!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My questions mostly pertain to the options listed there:

1) Do I want the upper or lower receiver or the barrel to be steel instead of aluminum?

DSA does not sell aluminum upper receivers.  Read here for more info.

I think all their barrels are steel.

I went with the aluminum lower because it weigh less.

2) Is the full length rail well-made?

yes

3) DSA lists several bipods on that page.  Is there any reason to go with one of those over a Harris bipod?

I do not have any experience with the listed bipods.  I have a Harris bipod and love it.

6) Any other recommendations/suggestions?

I'm not very familiar with FALs, so any comments would be apprecatiated!

M249 SAW Pistol Grip

SA58 Heavy Duty Scope Mount

AIMPOINT
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a STG58 carbine that I built, I beleave the STG Bipod will fold into the railed handgaurd, the Harris would be my choice for a range queen, STG for shtf.

I always say Aimpoint for the AR's, but I think a EOTech would be great on a FAL, I also prefer Tapco's scope mount over DSA's, get a para rear sight.

The flashhider in the pic works, Its what I have on mine, its a bayonet lug.

Match trigger, I got a stock FSE, I like it, would'nt change it

Suggestions
Get a sling, dam thing is heavy.
Buy the cheapest mags you can find, DSA sells new springs, I have ten mags, spent $40.00 for all of them, that number includes springs, 1200 degree engine paint from Walmart to refinish.
Don't buy Indian Ammo.         Port, South African, Aussie, and a lot of it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top