I'm planning to buy a DSA FAL soon and would like some input on which accessories I should get. I would rather do it "right" than "cheap", even if it means I have to save up for a few more months to purchase it.
I want something that can be used for either CQB or mid-range work, depending on the optics.... something along the lines of an Aimpoint or ACOG.
Anyway, here is the base model I'm looking at:
My questions mostly pertain to the options listed there:
1) Do I want the upper or lower receiver or the barrel to be steel instead of aluminum?
2) Is the full length rail well-made?
3) DSA lists several bipods on that page. Is there any reason to go with one of those over a Harris bipod?
4) They offer a match grade trigger. I've read that FAL triggers typically aren't that great, so I'd like a better trigger. However, I know that with ARs, it's typically best to leave the trigger alone since custom jobs may be problematic if used for anything beyond competition shooting. I want a trigger that is 100% reliable. Is their match grade trigger a good upgrade, or should I stick with the stock trigger?
5) What is the best flash hider that isn't too long? (For an 18" barrel)
6) Any other recommendations/suggestions?
I'm not very familiar with FALs, so any comments would be apprecatiated!
DSA does not sell aluminum upper receivers. Read here for more info.
I think all their barrels are steel.
I went with the aluminum lower because it weigh less.
I do not have any experience with the listed bipods. I have a Harris bipod and love it.
M249 SAW Pistol Grip
SA58 Heavy Duty Scope Mount
I have a STG58 carbine that I built, I beleave the STG Bipod will fold into the railed handgaurd, the Harris would be my choice for a range queen, STG for shtf.
I always say Aimpoint for the AR's, but I think a EOTech would be great on a FAL, I also prefer Tapco's scope mount over DSA's, get a para rear sight.
The flashhider in the pic works, Its what I have on mine, its a bayonet lug.
Match trigger, I got a stock FSE, I like it, would'nt change it
Get a sling, dam thing is heavy.
Buy the cheapest mags you can find, DSA sells new springs, I have ten mags, spent $40.00 for all of them, that number includes springs, 1200 degree engine paint from Walmart to refinish.
Don't buy Indian Ammo. Port, South African, Aussie, and a lot of it.