Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2021 4:12:35 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm in the market for a heavy duty industrial style sewing machine. I already own a couple of regular I guess you would call them consumer grade sewing machines that are fine for regular materials but I would like the capability of sewing heavier duty things.  For example I've tried putting together a couple of homemade shooting bags and I've discovered that neither one of the sewing machines that I own are quite sturdy enough to go through multiple layers of canvas type material and webbing. Neither one can handle any heavy duty thread either.

A YouTube channel that I watch recommended a sailright lsz1, but since that's over a thousand bucks it seems prudent to check around if there's a similar less expensive option.   I'm not planning on turning this into any type of a business, I just want to be able to sew things for myself.  Unfortunately when I search for industrial walking foot sewing machines there's a dozen brands and about 5,000 different models and I have no frame of reference about which ones are good and which ones are junk.   I'm also not sure what extra features I'm going to end up wanting or wishing I had.

So ARF com please school me on sewing machines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You want an industrial walking foot machine, typically something like a Consew 206-RB3 (or a like machine such as Singer 155, Juki 563, or Brother).  A Sailrite is the bare minimum -- great because of its size, portability, and alternate zig-zag capability, but it'll need some modifications.

I got my used Consew 206 off a lady who divorced her husband who ran an auto upholstery business for $650, complete with table and motor, and my Singer 31-15 light duty from another old lady down-sizing.  Check your local craigslist.  These are examples:

This is a light duty Singer 31-15 (no walking foot) which averages $350.  This one's marked for quick sale at $120:

This a portable Consew 206-RL for $500:

You'll want number 21, 22, or 23 needles, and #69 nylon thread.

This reference is the FAA Parachute Riggers Handbook.  Chapter 6 is all about sewing and lists tools and skills for fabric working, and what to look for in a sewing machine --  Link: FAA Parachute Rigger's Handbook

This is the Army's Fabric Working manual:  Fabric Repair
Top Top