Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2017 6:48:25 PM EDT
The Frankfort or the Harvey?

I know my Dillion and a Lee Universal decapping die
will be a lot faster, but its set up for 9mm and I have a
little .223 to deprime and clean (and the weather is nice
outside).  Which one is the better tool?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a franfort. I like it. I can sit and watch a movie and de-prime cases in the living room.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The Harvey is well made solid steel, but get an extra punch if you buy one.  I did, but haven't broken the original yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a hand primer punch.  It was really is useful to have.  I could punch the primers without affecting the case dimensions, allowing me to measure headspace and base diameter.  Picture shows a tool by LE Wilson.  Mine is stainless steel, older and might be by Sinclair.

I now have the Sinclair decapping die mounted in my turret press.  I broke the pin in my older Lyman. 
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm fond of this Lee tool for depriming
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The Harvey Deprimer is machined from aircraft grade aluminum with a steel depriming rod.  I am not sure the die cast aluminum of the Frankford Hand Deprimer tool would be up to depriming heavily crimped primers.  Further, the Harvey works with every case that fits inside it (just about anything smaller than 50 BMG), while the Frankford requires collets to support the case while depriming.

I'm not saying the Frankford Hand Deprimer is a bad tool, but for only a bit more ($49 plus postage) I think the Harvey Deprimer is a more robust and more flexible tool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Harvey, and it's awesome. I have never tried the Frankford. 
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. I hate to be chained to the bench when I could be sitting outside enjoying the nice weather AND get some work done..lol..
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Harvey, and it's great for small jobs. Bigger batches go through the bench mounted press.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Harvey tool. Its been flawless for me. Ive deprimed 3k rounds of 9mm and a little over 2k rounds of .223. No bends or any damange what so ever to the stem. I will say though depriming the .223 is a little cumbersome because you have to align the stem just right in the primer pocket. It is easier to deprime on my Rock Chucker using a RCBS universal depriming die then the Harvey, but the Harvey works flawless. Just a little slower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I've deprimed 1,000 9mm in about an hour with the Harvey tool.  Once you get the rhythm, it's quick.

Aligning the pin with the flash hole (not the primer pocket) is actually a safety feature; you can't shove a Berdan case in because the pin will keep it from entering the tool body.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Can any of these tools be converted to work with Berdan primed brass?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Frankfort or the Harvey?

I know my Dillion and a Lee Universal decapping die
will be a lot faster, but its set up for 9mm and I have a
little .223 to deprime and clean (and the weather is nice
outside).  Which one is the better tool?
View Quote
The best tool is an extra blank tool head for your Dillon. Install the Lee Universal Decap die in the tool.  Install correct shell plate, make a block off tab for the primer feeder, and go to war.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, you need a RCBS Latchmiller decapper. I bought both of mine at the funshow. They don't come with the rod the case slides over. (when you buy used)

One of these.

Do you have a source for Berdan primers?

Haven't seen any offered in several years.

I load steel cased Berdan 7.62x39 with my cast bullets.
View Quote
The RCBS tool is available for less from Amazon[url].  Edit: That link went really off...  Look for the RCBS Berdan Decapping Tool on Amazon...

I too want to know if there is a source of Berdan primers...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had both. Sold the Frankfort one on ebay. It was a disaster. I do it sitting at the campfire when I'm camping. Totally foolproof and I haven't broken the pin yet. They are readily available if I do.

cap
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Another +1 for the Harvey.  Depriming off press keeps all that junk from clogging up the 550 and I can sit in the living room and watch sports.  Only downside is it is a little noisy when you are popping out the prime (handle clanking against the body.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Got the Harvey. Thats is one cool tool.
Crimped in primers are a bitch though (Federals .223),
but its great to pop out primers and not be chained to
a bench.

One thing though, the surface where the case head bears
down on is taking a beating....
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#19]
The surface that the head bares down on should not be taking a beating. Brass simply should not be beating up a steel tool.

Have you contacted there customer service department?

Motor
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
My aching feet, wrists and fingers would never forgive me for using them when I don't have to. I have a Lee Universal depriming tool permanently mounted in the cheapest Lee press available. No finger pressure needed. It (the press) is so worn out that ram wobbles back and forth on the upstroke. I have to gently push the ram inward to get the primer hole to line up.

10's of thousands of rounds and 30+ years of use have taken there toll. Primer residue is very dirty and abrasive. I would rather have that crap all over this press and away from my good ones. Doing it by hand would disable me for days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The surface that the head bares down on should not be taking a beating. Brass simply should not be beating up a steel tool.

Have you contacted there customer service department?

Motor
View Quote
It's aircraft-grade aluminum, and it's the anodizing that gets scratched up by case heads, that's all.  It looks ugly but it's not actually damaging to the tool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't have thought that it would be aluminium. Hmmm.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't want to deprime 1,000 cases at a whack with a steel tool like this!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to deprime 1,000 cases at a whack with a steel tool like this!
View Quote
No big deal. I actually enjoyed doing it, relaxing. But then, I LOVE reloading. Only reason (almost) that I shoot.

cap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top