Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2009 2:15:39 AM EDT
I was at a local range over the weekend trying to get some groups in for a online match. I was at the range when they opened and checked in then went to the line. After a few groups I was letting my barrel cool while I watched a guy try to zero a Remington 742. I am not sure if he was having problems or if the RSO just decided to "help" also I am not sure if the RSO's are there to "help" or if they do on their own. After a few shots the guy turned and told the RSO it was hitting a litte to the right. The RSO made an adjustment then told the guy to fire again, which the guy did. It was still off so this is where I had the WTF moment.

The RSO told the guy to put the crosshairs on the bullet hole and try to hold the rifle down. At the same time move the crosshairs from the bullet hole to the center of the target. The RSO told the guy this is how to zero a rifle.

After a few iterations of hold and move the crosshair it was getting more off target. The guy said it is shooting worse.The RSO said it was the mounts that were causing the problems and that the guy needed to buy diffrent mounts. Now granted see thru mounts are not the greatest but should be fine when zeroing at 50 yards.

I kind of chuckled thinking that maybe the RSO was doing it on purpose because every piece of brass that came out of the guys gun went into the RSO's pockets.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The guy had it backwards.

The proper way is to fire a few rounds while holding on the center of the target.

Then with rifle on a rest, sandbags or whatever to keep it from moving, place crosshairs on the center of the target again and then adjust the crosshairs to the center of the group fired.

This will get you close.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the RSO had it backwards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have and continue to do it the correct way. I seriously think he wasn't as knowlegable as he claimed, this is the case with a lot of the RSO's but I am glad they are there providing me with a place to shoot. This same range has some decent RSO's but I have had more WTF moments at this one than anywhere.

I go to this range for anything more than 50 yards because I have a range at home but I am limited to 50 yards.

It is a decent, safe range with excellent facilities. Reasonably priced at $5.50 for 2 hours of shooting and generally no membership required, just show up and shoot. They provide anything you might need, bags, spotting scopes, targets, staplers, hearing protection and eye protection. The covered  benches are very solid and made out of concrete, covered with carpet. The seats leave something to be desired but they are adjustable and work OK. There are restrooms as well as vending machines. On site there is benchrest, archery, pistol and shotgun facilities so there is something for everyone.

The only problem with the range itself is that there are parts of the range that aren't being used. The have a silhouette range that is only available duing hours when they are closed by appointment with the silhouette manager. They have a 300 yard range also that they say is either not a range or not a range at all, depending on who you ask. This 300 yard range is used a few ties a year for hunting rifle matches but other than that isn't opened at all.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this range near Knoxville?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this range near Knoxville?

Yes, in Fountain City on Rifle Range Road.

Volunteer Rifle & Pistol Club

Googled Volunteer Rifle & Pistol Club

Dolomite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top