Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2007 1:27:31 PM EDT
I finally got my form 1 back from the ATF and being my first NFA gun, you can imagine how excited I am. I have a Bobcat FS and all I needed to do was drill out the little pin holding on the fake suppressor and it will slide right off... So I thought.

Then I tried to do it. I am obviously no gunsmith & used tools that I had laying around. That little bastard is on good, let me tell you. It took me a good 4 hours of going back and forth to home depot to actually get the job done. Turns out to be a SOLID aluminum bar, which was a surprise. I figured it was hollow. That thing weighs about 2 lbs. Also the pin slides into a hold drilled into one of the lugs & is in good. Now I know why they call those things "permanently attached". I am purposely leaving out instructions on how to do this. If you need the instructions, you need to fax your copy of your tax stamp to Bobcat and they will send you written instructions. Check out the pics.

Before:

Let the damage begin...

You WILL f-up your barrel here if you are not careful!!

Damn that thing is thick!

Note to self...don’t try to twist it off next time, It'll take off the paint!

Ahhhhh, my dream is finally a reality! It only took about 5 weeks to get my stamp too! I am definitely hooked and am looking to dress it up with a Gemtech Raptor.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
f-in sweet.. good jod and good post.. im getting ready to buy one soon and send in my paperwork also..

jon..
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
...And to think I was going to sell the gun because I initialy couldn't get it to run right. All I needed was an OEM H&K Extractor & spring. Now I throw brass 15 feet NO JOKE. Plus can shoot WWB that everyone seems to have a problem with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on your 1st.  Damn it looks a lot better now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Job well done, Looks great
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I found that I HAD to remove the paint off the three lug so three lug accessories would fit (such as flash hider and Gemtech MK9K).
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I found that I HAD to remove the paint off the three lug so three lug accessories would fit (such as flash hider and Gemtech MK9K).

Good to know, I was about to re-paint it! How does she run with the Gemtech?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have it anymore, but she ran 100% (I think) from the get go and was a dream suppressed.  I highly recommend the MK9K, especially for full auto.

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a gemtech trinity on my sbr bw5 it runs great but i never did have any problems with it.  I guess i am one of the luck ones.  I thought removing the fake can was a real pita, who would have thought it would be so hard to cut off.  I did not re-paint mine and the 3lug adpt works great.  I wouldn't paint it until you get the can to see how it fits.  It would suck painting it to only remove the paint again if the 3 lug is too tight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The night I got my F1 back in the mail I went to town.  Took almost 3 hours to get it off.  I had to end up heating it with a propane torch and get it hot enough to twist off.  What a pain in the butt.

Bobcat doesn't use paint past the 3 lug mount, any paint that is there dripped and flowed from the barrel UNDER the fake can.  Regardless of how careful you are the tip will be for the most part white.

Welcome to the club, you got a nice SBR there.....come to think of it, I need a collapsable/folding stock for my MP5 SBR.

Check out the SWR Trident as well as the Raptor.  I shot them side by side yesterday and the Trident was still quieter than the Raptor but pretty close.  Both are great cans!!

Again, welcome!

-TS

EDIT.....The Trident and the Raptor suppressors both fit with and without a finish on my barrel.  Once I tore that stupid fake can off I had my entire SBR bead blasted and then Gunkoted HK Black.....cans fit perfect and no undue wear on the finish.  Look identical to factory MP5's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The night I got my F1 back in the mail I went to town.  Took almost 3 hours to get it off.  I had to end up heating it with a propane torch and get it hot enough to twist off.  What a pain in the butt.

Bobcat doesn't use paint past the 3 lug mount, any paint that is there dripped and flowed from the barrel UNDER the fake can.  Regardless of how careful you are the tip will be for the most part white.

Welcome to the club, you got a nice SBR there.....come to think of it, I need a collapsable/folding stock for my MP5 SBR.

Check out the SWR Trident as well as the Raptor.  I shot them side by side yesterday and the Trident was still quieter than the Raptor but pretty close.  Both are great cans!!

Again, welcome!

-TS

EDIT.....The Trident and the Raptor suppressors both fit with and without a finish on my barrel.  Once I tore that stupid fake can off I had my entire SBR bead blasted and then Gunkoted HK Black.....cans fit perfect and no undue wear on the finish.  Look identical to factory MP5's.

Are you sure?  Because mine was obviously painted as there was no streaks or runs, very uniform.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
With some 3 lug mounts the paint is to thick for it to fit.
Another can to consider would be a SWR Trident quite and change to pistol better than the trinty.
chris
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No offense, but that is a pretty good example of how NOT to do it. Next time ask first. It is 5 minutes with a DREMEL and cut off wheel. Glad it worked out though.

None taken, but have you tried this before? I did use a dremel and cut off wheel....
and pliers, and hacksaw and vice grips and a large screwdriver and a small screwdriver and a jewlers hammer. (Didn't even scratch the barrel.)

You know that thing is pressed on with a 10 ton press right? There is no sliding it off the barrel even with the pin removed. & I did it exactly how it was recommended by the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense, but that is a pretty good example of how NOT to do it. Next time ask first. It is 5 minutes with a DREMEL and cut off wheel. Glad it worked out though.

None taken, but have you tried this before? I did use a dremel and cut off wheel....
and pliers, and hacksaw and vice grips and a large screwdriver and a small screwdriver and a jewlers hammer. (Didn't even scratch the barrel.)

You know that thing is pressed on with a 10 ton press right? There is no sliding it off the barrel even with the pin removed. & I did it exactly how it was recommended by the manufacturer.

Ah I see why you had a problem. A lot of what he says, is not good info or is wrong. When my SWR/QD3K did not fit, he assured me his barrel was 100% HK spec. As others have mentioned in this thread, the paint adds some thickness, and I as found out by using a caliper, I found the lugs to be a little too big also.

I have done two (mine a few years ago and posted it on the HK-54 board before he overhauled it and a friends). Just cut a 45 degree cut in the base of the fake can to get past the weld, and the pin drops out and the fake can does slide right off. If the ping does not drop, a second or third cut so you can get a pliers on it will get it done. You probably heated it up to much and it fused, preventing it from sliding off easily.

ALl is well that ends well though. Just trying to help, not criticize.

No doubt - have gotten some bad info from him in the past, should have known better. Anyway, it was like someone rode over it with a tank. Even after the pin was out there was no budging it. But like you said all's well that ends well. I'll be bringint it to a carbine match next week. We'll see how it matches up to the SBR AR's in a head on comp. (not counting caliber). I bet my target acq and follow ups are faster.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah I see why you had a problem. A lot of what he says, is not good info or is wrong. When my SWR/QD3K did not fit, he assured me his barrel was 100% HK spec. As others have mentioned in this thread, the paint adds some thickness, and I as found out by using a caliper, I found the lugs to be a little too big also.

I have done two (mine a few years ago and posted it on the HK-54 board before he overhauled it and a friends). Just cut a 45 degree cut in the base of the fake can to get past the weld, and the pin drops out and the fake can does slide right off. If the ping does not drop, a second or third cut so you can get a pliers on it will get it done. You probably heated it up to much and it fused, preventing it from sliding off easily.

ALl is well that ends well though. Just trying to help, not criticize.

No doubt - have gotten some bad info from him in the past, should have known better. Anyway, it was like someone rode over it with a tank. Even after the pin was out there was no budging it. But like you said all's well that ends well. I'll be bringint it to a carbine match next week. We'll see how it matches up to the SBR AR's in a head on comp. (not counting caliber). I bet my target acq and follow ups are faster.

Usually I am the one who, while doing what should be an easy job, have all kinds of problems taking hours to resolve. I guess I got lucky this time.

What match are you going to (see you are in TX).

Just started shooting on Wednesday nights with Thunder Tactical IDPA in Conroe. They have Carbine matches every other Saturday! Seems like a good group of guys too.
Link to club website

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top