Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 2:02:39 PM EDT
This may be compairing apples with oranges but I wanted a Galil until I saw an HK 93.  Now I'm not sure.  What do you think - is one clearly "better" than the other?  Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess they are both 5.56

The Galil is based on the AK
The HK93 is the traditional HK roller lock design
I think it is probably easier to find parts and accessories for the HK granted they are pretty spendy.  

Personally, I would like to get both (HK93 is on the way).

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
93 mags are much more $ than galil mags but 93 parts are easier to find.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you must choose between the two, choose between the system (HK or AK) that you like the best. I agree with the others when they say get both. I like both systems and have them both.
You won't go bad with either one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you must choose between the two, choose between the system (HK or AK) that you like the best. I agree with the others when they say get both. I like both systems and have them both.
You won't go bad with either one.

Sounds like you can let us in on the details of shooting the two!  What's the story between the two?

Which is more accurate?
Which has more recoil?

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in the same situation a couple of months ago, I really like the ORF Galil, but I also liked the HK93/33 rifles.  Here is what I did, I bought a Vector V93 and finally decided on a nice Gem-tech HALO suppressor to go with it.  
Price wise I got both for the about the same price as the Galil, and had a little money left over for ammo by going Vector instead of genuine HK.  By the way I could'nt be happier with my V93.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually the Galil that I take to the range is my ORF rifle pictured here:

This was assembled from a parts set with a new barrel and receiver by ORF.

My 386 is NIB so I can't state anything about it's accuracy. It's pictured below:

My 93 is actually a 33 conversion which was done by S&H. Sorry, I don't have a pic of it right now.
Both my ORF Galil and 33 exhibit very low recoil. It's been said that the 33 is one of the smoothest .223 available and I think maybe so. When I first fired my ORF Galil I was surprised by the very low amount of recoil it has, too. Sorry but I've never bench tested them for accuracy.
I think the choice between the two would be choosing among the best .223 designs currently available. Maybe if the Sig 550 is domestically produced................?

BTW Sorry for the "half" foot in the pic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
They are both good guns. You might try to shoot both before you decide, if possible. There are other options out there you might consider.  Two of my favorite 5.56 rifles are the Steyr AUG  and the FN FNC. Thereare a few FNCs out there now that are reasonably priced. It is an all steel Belgian made weapon with an AK style gas system, uses M16mags etc, very rugged and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
H&K 93!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top