Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:17:42 PM EDT
I decided to swap out stocks on my FAL and never took the stock off before but the compressed spring has completely whipped my ass. I have holes in the ceiling of my apartment from bouncing the spring off it. I'm at a loss at this point and staring at the rifle from a safe distance behind cover while waiting for your help.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
With one of THESE . It can be done without it , but it's a job and not worth the fight .
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
there's a tool for that! DSA has a cool combo thingy or make it yourself
you're lucky you can still see with both eyes!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
i used the cleaning rod from my AK as a guide rod, then pushed the screw down over it and held down with one hand while i started screwing it in with the other.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]

The buttstock tool is a great item, but for now you can use a couple of sections of cleaning rod, with the handle, to control the springs. Once you get the threads started, you can remove the rod and finish.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
OK I feel slightly better about having my ass whipped. My rifle is back together with the use of the AK cleaning rod trick.  Took the AK out of the safe took off the the rod and BAM! My gun is together.

A free FAL or HK91 mag to you legonas my  hero the first poster of the AK cleaning rod trick. Send me your address if you want it. Specify inch, metric or HK.

Thanks to all I love the internet!

Thanks
Todd  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The buttstock tool is a great item, but for now you can use a couple of sections of cleaning rod, with the handle, to control the springs. Once you get the threads started, you can remove the rod and finish.

Yup...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The first time I took my stock off I nearly shot my eye out, I have been scared of mine ever since...I feel your pain
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The butt stock removal tool also comes in handy when replacing the PG as well.  As i recall DSA used to have  combo special with the gas adjustment tool and the bolt tool, each of which is handy and a good value when you're looking at money vs. time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Buttstock combo tool.
$12.99 www.gunpartsguy.com.
Free shipping.

Small jobs are a lot easier when you have the right tools.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the aluminum tent peg!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top