Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 6:02:30 PM EDT
Hey all,

Wanting to build a dedicated upper for my AR. I have a PVS-14 I can use in conjunction with a scope. This will be used for night hunting where shots should be under 100 yds.

Need recommendations for:

Scope
Rings
Rail
Mount for PVS-14 ( QUICK DETACH PREFERED, AS IS A SWING AWAY TYPE)
Any equipment needed to allow scope and NV to work together as a unit.

I cant afford a laser right now but will be saving for one if its needed.

This will be used with a helmet mounted AN/AVIS -6 ( once I figure what I need to mount same to a helmet that wont break the bank)

Thanks for any help and/or pics
Lookinup
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
if you must use a pvs-14 on an ar15, the only setup that's worth a damn is an eotech EXPS-3 mounted forward on the top rail, and a aimpoint twist mount setup from TNVC behind it. screw in a 3x usgi magnifier on the pvs14 and click it in to the gun.   That actually works pretty well.  without a magnifier its pretty hard to make a shot and with aimpoint's the FOV is way too small.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Wanting to build a dedicated upper for my AR. I have a PVS-14 I can use in conjunction with a scope. This will be used for night hunting where shots should be under 100 yds.

Need recommendations for:

Scope
Rings
Rail
Mount for PVS-14 ( QUICK DETACH PREFERED, AS IS A SWING AWAY TYPE)
Any equipment needed to allow scope and NV to work together as a unit.

I cant afford a laser right now but will be saving for one if its needed.

This will be used with a helmet mounted AN/AVIS -6 ( once I figure what I need to mount same to a helmet that wont break the bank)

Thanks for any help and/or pics
Lookinup
View Quote

For years I used PVS-14 behind an Aimpoint CompM2 with LaRue Mounts to great success, as did many others.

One thing you want to look for is controls on the optic that are on the side, this allows you to get PVS-14 as close as possible to Optic and still be able to easily work controls. Some EOTECHs do not allow this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Noveske 10" 300 BLK, bipod, FLIR RS, DBAL, SDN-6, nightcap with counterweight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget the suppressor.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
LoL,

Suppressors are a no-no here, sad I know.

Can only afford the nv I have now, thermal is a ways away for this guy.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Lookinup
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, they finally corrected the stupid laws here in WA.  It used to be that it was legal to own a suppressor in WA but it was illegal to use one.  They finally fixed it so that you can use them and also made it legal to own SBR's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, this is Bubba but what I used way back in the day. A piece of radiator hose and two band clamps mounted behind a good day scope. Not ideal but had some recoil resistance with the rubber hose. You lose much light performance but that can be made up with IR lights.

Not sexy but it worked and I was out about 10 bucks for my setup. Still a popular method across the pond. Like I said not sexy but it works. All supplies available at your local hardware store.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SDN-6
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, this is Bubba but what I used way back in the day. A piece of radiator hose and two band clamps mounted behind a good day scope. Not ideal but had some recoil resistance with the rubber hose. You lose much light performance but that can be made up with IR lights.

Not sexy but it worked and I was out about 10 bucks for my setup. Still a popular method across the pond. Like I said not sexy but it works. All supplies available at your local hardware store.
View Quote

I have about this same setup with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 M1. It works well with an adjustable stock so you can have a decent cheek weld. Well enough that I have no desire for a clip-on unit.

The sweet spot for magnification is around 7x.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The guys at TNVC should be able to help you out with your accessory needs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

lots to try and I guess I will be attempting to mount my binos to a helmet soon.

Lookinup
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
just a thought, you say you can't afford a laser, but even really nice lasers like the dbal cost about as much as a good AR upper. If you are buying an additional upper for this you'll be spending more money than just adding a laser to the upper you already have. And your final kit will be simpler and easier to use.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have about this same setup with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 M1. It works well with an adjustable stock so you can have a decent cheek weld. Well enough that I have no desire for a clip-on unit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway you could post a pic of this setup? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.. Do you see the reticle ok?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Put the night vision on your face, where it belongs.  Get a laser.

You might want to look at things that you don't want to point your rifle at.  You might want to see where you're going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyway you could post a pic of this setup? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.. Do you see the reticle ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll see if I can take one over the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You might want to look at things that you don't want to point your rifle at.  You might want to see where you're going.
View Quote

this didn't work for me. I have a crimson trace civilian IR laser and it lit the target so bright I couldn't see what I was aiming at >75yards. Inside 50yds you may be ok.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

My first post reveals I have ANAVS-6 binos and a PVS-14.

I would be wearing the binos, where they belong, on my face, but needed suggestions to use the  PVS-14 if possible, mounted to my AR.

Thanks for the suggestions, now debating to spend the money on the helmet and mount for the binos, and a laser for the gun.

Lookinup
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would be wearing the binos, where they belong, on my face, but needed suggestions to use the  PVS-14 if possible, mounted to my AR.

Thanks for the suggestions, now debating to spend the money on the helmet and mount for the binos, and a laser for the gun.

Lookinup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lookinup

Binoculars looking through a red dot sight actually works really well compared to monocular on head looking through sight.  Right tube has a lot of view blocked by the scope body, but the left tube makes up for it unlike with a monocular.
Since you already have binoculars you should give that a try.  Downside is that you're looking right at the muzzle flash, so you're going to want a can even more than you would otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lookinup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lookinup

While it's always nice to have both a binocular and monocular available, in this case I might consider selling the PVS-14, and using the money to get an ATPIAL-C or DBAL-A3, a nice ground mount and LPBP for the ANVIS, and a nice helmet set-up so that you have at least one, top of the line integrated system, then save up for another monocular to round things out.  ::shrug:: Just an option to consider.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top