Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 11:21:14 AM EDT
I just bought my first gun safe and am planning on mounting it to my garage floor. The problem is I live in Texas and in the summer my garage can reach 115 degrees. I would imagine the internal temp of the safe may be higher. Over the long term could the high temperatures hurt my guns? Wood stocks are my main concerns but also premature stress on plastic parts, etc. This safe is not insulated, just bare metal interior. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't be worried about heat in the garage my friend.

I would be more worried about the temperature going from hot to cold to cold to hot, etc.

This is what causes condensation, which is a finish killer.

I say make some room in the house for the safe.
If you can't do that, you'll have to clean your weapons once every 2 or 3 months to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I think your problem would be more with long term ammunition storage.  The higher the storage temperature, the shorter the shelf life of ammunition.  115 degrees is very high for ammo storage.  If you keep the humidity in the safe low by using desicant or a golden rod I wouldn't think the temperature would be an issue for the weapons themselves.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The problem is I live in Texas and in the summer my garage can reach 115 degrees. I would imagine the internal temp of the safe may be higher.  Wood stocks are my main concerns but also premature stress on plastic parts, etc. This safe is not insulated, just bare metal interior. Thanks

How is your safe (which is inside your garage & therefore shaded) going to get hotter than the ambient temperature of its surroundings? Not gonna happen unless you add a hot plate inside it. The only real concern I would have about the temperature would be the oils leeching out of the wooden stocks. I have left a surplus enfield in the trunk of my car in the summer & had all kinds of cosmoline come from every pore. I think that the only issue would be the temperature swings. Like the man said above, condensation would be a broblem. I don't think you will have this problem in Texas. Someone else mentioned a goldenrod. I use a night light. Makes a little heat to drive moisture out, gives me light in the safe & costs about $5 bux to make. I'll agree with the other gentleman about making room in the house if it's a possibility.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top