Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 3:44:10 AM EDT
Hey guys!! Well anyone who followed my other post probably already knows that I finally found an M4 A3 in my area, It was 849.99 okay so there are better interenet prices I know I know but i wanted it now :)

Anyways here's some pics of my horrible horrible shooting day =( Some of these targets had colt45 or 9mm shooting at them, or else an SAR1 (which surprisingly was doing a little better then AR15 today.. but the ar wasn't sighted in).. Now keep in mind, I've only shot rifles maybe 1 or 2 times before :) This was at 50 yards.. not much wind, very sunny day.. Trying to zero it in.. i think i got it zeroed in close enough maybe.. No scope, just the a3 sights.. Also it is to the left some but not ALL the way.. maybe 2/3rds of the way to the left, so i dont think i'll need to send it to bush master to have it fixed? ..

You'll notice that on one or two of the targets some of the groups are just Plain HIGH... Either i dont know how to use the sights or i'm just a really really really chronic flintcher.. cuz when another person tried it or i really really took alot of time with the shot, it would go more in the black...

Here's the pics.. (commense laughing)

this first pic on the right is the SAR1 at 50 yards.. The left is i think a 357 at 15 or 20 yards.. (my bro needs alot of practice)
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/targets1.jpg
the rest of these should be the AR15 at 50 yards.
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/targets2.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/targets3.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/targets4.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/targets5.jpg

There ya have it...

I have to order some more ammo since i paid 35 dollars for 100 rounds and that was a bit much for me.. I've decided to get 2 battlepacks of the south african ammo, after a LONG debate with myself much reading on here about wolf... wolf works great in my ak47 but I just think I should stick to brass for a more expensive weapon.. Plus I hate the damn GREEN thumb I get everytime I load...I'm getting the battleclips for 42.00 each from www.dansammo.com great place.. Freeshipping if your east of the missisip.. too bad i'm not.. Great place tho last time I ordered my wolf from em.. Now dont drain their SA supply :)

anyways here's the pics of the gun even tho you've m4's 100 times before :)

http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/P1002064.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/P1002065.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/P1002066.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new rig Electricview!

First off remember, a 'horrible' shooting day is better than the best day at work! Don't worry, nobodys gonna laugh - those groups will close up with more time with the rifle. Just focus on the fundementals.

Heres a good link to getting that rifle sighted in too (in the 'how to' section):
groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/

Congrats again, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle Electricview!

ENJOY!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome! Nice rifle. Keep practicing!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Only one way to shrink those groups...

Shoot! Shoot! and than Shoot some more!

I saw a guy, at the range, who had a brand new ArmLite M15A2.  He took 25 shots and started screaming about "What a POS!!!"

Real sad...  Considering he had never shot an AR before.  Never saw him again.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Electricview:

Looking at the targets, even at 50 yards they would still be dead bad guys, or in serious need of repair.  You said it yourself; this is probably the third time you've shot rifles.  You need practice to get the sight picture, breathing and trigger control in tune.  You also need to try shooting from a steady rest at first, and if you don't want to spend the money on a rest and sandbag, use a tightly rolled blanket.  Use of a sling adjsuted to pass under the left bicep will help to steady the weapon, but excessive force on the sling will cause AR POI to wander a bit unless the handguards are floated.  At this point, don't even begin to think about floating the handguards.  You just need the practice and experience with fundamentals.  A couple more things:  If you are standing, with your right hand on the pistol grip, hold your right arm so that you elbow points straight out to the right, and your upper arm and forearm are parallel to the ground.  Make sure that the stock buttplate is secured evenly against the shoulder, and not riding up out of the pocket.  Find a good spot to place your cheek on the stock such that you focus on the front sight and the target.  Forget about focusing on the rear peep sight, it is OK for it to be fuzzy.  Line up the sights so that the black bull is sitting on the front post, and then make sure that the top of the post is centered in the fuzzy rear peep.  Alternatively, you can sight it so that the front sight post "cuts" the black bull in half, and the top of the post and center of the bull are in the center of the rear peep.  Don't worry if the bullets are not centered, just concentrate on getting consistently smaller groups in the same consistent location on the paper.  Once you are doing that, then you can adjust the rear sight vertically and horizontally to center the POI with the POA.  

You don't need to wait for more ammo to work on your accuracy.  Practice dry firing at a spot on a far wall (make sure the weapon is cleared!) and watch how the weapon sights move when you pull the trigger and the hammer falls.  You may have to experiment with what part of your index finger to pull the trigger.  Squeeze, don't jerk.  

As I said with the SAR stock refinishing project, learning accurate shooting is not difficult, it just requires patience.

Congrats on the new piece, and with what are really fairly decent results given your first time with the weapon and your OA experience level.  Keep it up!

Noah
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Electricview:

OBTW, a suggestion:  When posting pix, use your pic editor to set the width to about 650 wide and not more than 680 in order to fit the pic on the screen without the need to horizontal scroll.  

Noah
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep shooting!  Practice, practice, practice,   besides it's FUN!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you use any kind of rest (sandbag or rolled up towel on top of an ammo can)or were you shooting from different positions ? If I'm gonna keep a target for future reference I write the shooting position,ammo brand,distance and the name of gun.I write this info on the target with a magic marker while the info is fresh in my head and you can also date them and watch your improvement.Congradulations !
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!

I was sitting at a bench, with a wooden made gunrest type thing. It has a peice of carpet attached to it, and i layed the front part of the rifle on it to steady my shots... I think one of my problems when i'm aiming, is that when i am focusing on the front sight of the weapon, the black dot of the target is kind of blurry, and when i focus on the target, the front sight of the weapon is blurry so it makes it hard for me to line it up in the center of the black dot...

Umm being a newbie, i read something in the manual that disturbed me.. It said something about making sure to put the cam pin back in or the rifle will explode if you forget..this is very distrubing thought.. not that i would forget or didnt know how.. But it also mentions to give the cam pin a 1/4 turn or smething like that after inserting it.. Can you have a bad accident if you forgot to turn it too? or if you turned it wrong?.. call me paranoid, or scared but when i see something like that in the manual, i just want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong..
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

I was sitting at a bench, with a wooden made gunrest type thing. It has a peice of carpet attached to it, and i layed the front part of the rifle on it to steady my shots... I think one of my problems when i'm aiming, is that when i am focusing on the front sight of the weapon, the black dot of the target is kind of blurry, and when i focus on the target, the front sight of the weapon is blurry so it makes it hard for me to line it up in the center of the black dot...

Umm being a newbie, i read something in the manual that disturbed me.. It said something about making sure to put the cam pin back in or the rifle will explode if you forget..this is very distrubing thought.. not that i would forget or didnt know how.. But it also mentions to give the cam pin a 1/4 turn or smething like that after inserting it.. Can you have a bad accident if you forgot to turn it too? or if you turned it wrong?.. call me paranoid, or scared but when i see something like that in the manual, i just want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong..

This process is part of disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the bolt and bolt carrier. If you don't do it right, you have large problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Just so you know I've had to send two bushys back to get the barrels reindexed as my sights had to be rolled all the way to the left. They came back perfectly zeroed. I don't know whats up there but If you don't get it zeroed you might think about sending the upper back. Have a great time shooting, and I think you paid a fair price.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

First, go here for step by step instructions on how to field strip and clean your AR correctly.

www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=49

Second, go to the following site and download the manual for the AR. The Bushmaster manual is the best and will also show you how to disassemble your AR correctly

www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Manual%20Depot.htm

As far as the cam pin goes, you'll know if you forgot to rotate it 1/4 turn because the firing pin will not go in unless the cam pin is correctly positioned. Do not hesitate to ask if you encounter any problems with your AR. There are NO stupid question when it comes to firearms...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay.. I followed the bushmaster manual that came with the gun.. I just want to be absolutely sure I do it correctly.. when i put the cam pin back in, I actually slid it back up to its originaly position before i turned it.. Was this wrong or bad? do i need to turn it right when i put it back in? Should I not have slide it back up to its original position? The firing pin fit in just fine, then i put the little pin that secures the firing pin back in.. and it was staying correctly..
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Okay.. I followed the bushmaster manual that came with the gun.. I just want to be absolutely sure I do it correctly.. when i put the cam pin back in, I actually slid it back up to its originaly position before i turned it.. Was this wrong or bad? do i need to turn it right when i put it back in? Should I not have slide it back up to its original position? The firing pin fit in just fine, then i put the little pin that secures the firing pin back in.. and it was staying correctly..

The firing pin just has to go through the cam pin, whether it is in the fore or aft position makes no difference. It does need to be in the forward position to slide the carrier back into the upper reciever though. Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, I put it into its foward positoin turned it, Put the firing pin in, locked the firing pin in place with the split pin.. Then i put the whole thing back together.. I gave it a few dry fires and everything seemed in order.. would i notice anything wrong with it when dry firing if i did it incorrect?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay, I put it into its foward positoin turned it, Put the firing pin in, locked the firing pin in place with the split pin.. Then i put the whole thing back together.. I gave it a few dry fires and everything seemed in order.. would i notice anything wrong with it when dry firing if i did it incorrect?

I don't think there'd be any difference in how the rifle "acts" wether or not the cam pin is in place, until you pulled the trigger on a live round...which is of course too late. Don't worry too much about it too much, though; after you take it apart a few times, it'll soon become second nature. When you take down the weapon to clean it, just put all the parts to the bolt/carrier group in the same place; then, if you have any parts left after you reassemble, you know it ain't right.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have trouble seeing the target you can site your rifle  using a 6 o'clock site picture and then it should be like 3 turns of the front site when you want to convert back to 'point of aim=impact' site picture.They should have a pic of this in Bushy book.Also...it is easier to see those bright orange targets and they don't blend with your sites like black does.Did you cut a V into the wood you are using as a rest?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top