Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 2:11:29 PM EDT
I just bid on an M1 on GunBroker, and said heck, for the $600 the guy wants, I'll just buy it.  It's a Springfield in the 3 million range, with an SA bolt, SA trigger group, and an SA bbl with a 44 date code.  Seems to be almost all original.  I'll have to link to the pictures later.. I'm too excited... :)

I'm finally gonna get my M1

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dude, you're gettin an M1!

you don't know how hard you just made me laugh man....

See... I work at Dell in tech support... last night some old lady called and said she bought a Dell for her grandson... and that she LOVES Steven!!  She wanted a picture of him!!  I was laughing my ass off so hard...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Here she is... a 1945 SA M1

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet Rifle. Now I'm gonna have to get one
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations.

That looks like a mighty fine rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
congrats, looks like you got a deal
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you may have an original matching barrel and receiver. Often, original barrel and receiver dates are NOT perfect matches.

Depending on the throat erosion and muzzle tightness, you may have a collector grade.

Which is sort of a mixed blessing.

It'd be  worth over twice what you paid, but you'd be crazy to shoot it  

You'll have to buy you ANOTHER - a shooter.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks like you may have an original matching barrel and receiver. Often, original barrel and receiver dates are NOT perfect matches.

Depending on the throat erosion and muzzle tightness, you may have a collector grade.

Which is sort of a mixed blessing.

It'd be  worth over twice what you paid, but you'd be crazy to shoot it  

You'll have to buy you ANOTHER - a shooter.  

Well, checking the serial number, it should should be a June 1945 receiver.  I have heard that some M1's had BBLs put on them that were manufactured several months earlier than the receiver, so that may be the case in this one.  With the bolt and trigger group being SA (the seller says they are) I'm hopeful it's all original.... but then...

I have no money for another one!!!!  dangit!! LOL
if anything on this one, I may rebarrel it, but keep the original bbl and stocks and stuff.  I'm already excited!  

M@
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Alright... the excitment is growing!  I found an FFL that lives so close to me, I could throw a rock and hit his house!  Bonus.  He's a real nice guy too.  Mailed off the copy of his FFL for the sender, so he should get it probably Saturday, and then ship my rifle Monday or Tuesday.  Should get here Thursday or Friday next week.  

I ordered a couple headspace gauges, a sling, a spring kit, and the M1 Owner's Manual.  I intend to be as self sufficient as I can, and check out the rifle and replace the springs myself.
ALL tips and input are appreciated!  

M1QJ
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
M1QJ,

I have a Dell 8100 Series and it crashed 2 days ago.  It gave me an osd.exe error message.

Could you by any chance tell me what that was?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
M1QJ,

I have a Dell 8100 Series and it crashed 2 days ago.  It gave me an osd.exe error message.

Could you by any chance tell me what that was?  

I don't support the Dimension line, but I can tell you to call 800-822-8965 and get to tech support.  It's FREE.  Use it.  ;)

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I went and picked up my baby last night!  She needs some detail cleaning which I'll do this weekend.  A few places that have some rust spots that need attention.  Functionally, she looks sound, all the parts look sound.  The barrel is pretty much shot-out, tho.  From the muzzle, you can't hardly see any rifling, and the bullet test fails poorly!  As far as headspace, the bolt closes on a NO GO, but does not close on a Field gauge, so it should be OK to shoot.  I'm only going to fire it a few times as is to test timing and functionality.  I think what I'm going to do is get a BBL from the CMP (Springfield 'match' that gauges a 2 or less and has a good muzzle for $100), and have it swapped.  

The stock looks good... front handgaurd is loose, the parkerizing is pretty worn, but I like the appearance of the rifle.  :)

Dude, I got an M1

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude, you're gettin an M1!

you don't know how hard you just made me laugh man....

See... I work at Dell in tech support... last night some old lady called and said she bought a Dell for her grandson... and that she LOVES Steven!!  She wanted a picture of him!!  I was laughing my ass off so hard...

I heard that guy is gay and is anti-sementic.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Sweet

Have fun
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats, I have had an itch for one for some time now that is gonna have to get scratched sooner or later.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
COOL! Welcome to the club. Congrads M1QJ on your new toy. New you have to some M1 en-bloc clips. Does someone have a good source? I've gotten mine at the local gun shows for about $.75-1.00 per clip. I've seen a lot that are rusty, so try to get the ones without the rust.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I went and picked up my baby last night!  She needs some detail cleaning which I'll do this weekend.  A few places that have some rust spots that need attention.  Functionally, she looks sound, all the parts look sound.  The barrel is pretty much shot-out, tho.  From the muzzle, you can't hardly see any rifling, and the bullet test fails poorly!  As far as headspace, the bolt closes on a NO GO, but does not close on a Field gauge, so it should be OK to shoot.  I'm only going to fire it a few times as is to test timing and functionality.  I think what I'm going to do is get a BBL from the CMP (Springfield 'match' that gauges a 2 or less and has a good muzzle for $100), and have it swapped.  

The stock looks good... front handgaurd is loose, the parkerizing is pretty worn, but I like the appearance of the rifle.  :)

Dude, I got an M1

FWIW, consider having your M1 rebarreled in .308.  Ammo is much more common, and thus less expensive.  Champion's Choice, among others does the conversion, and your original rifle is not altered.  It's still legal to shoot in most, if not all sanctioned matches, as the Navy used them.  There was a thread on this forum a day or two ago about re-barreling  M1s to .308. Here's the link:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115151

Does the 308 use the same clip as the 30-06?

Quoted:
I heard the CMP is averaging 3-4 months to complete all rifle orders now due to a massive backlog from the M1903 sales.
So, I just sent out my paperwork to the CMP yesterday...should be here by AUGUST [>(] !!!

You're fortunate. When the CMP was DCM, it took me over 1 year to get mine. It was so long, that I had forgotten all about it, and then I get registered mail pick up slip from the P.O., and I'm going who the heck is this?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, gosh Waverunner, when I purchased my M1 Select from CMP 2-3 years ago, it took a year to get my rifle!! The worst part was when they told me it was going to ship while I was on a cruise!! Almost sent the wife alone. :-)
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top