Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 1:52:52 PM EDT
I got my loaded model maybe a year ago.  I've got just under 1200 rounds through it so far.  

I have got to be the worst rifle shot on arfcom.  I mean I am just plain bad.   I wish I could shoot like some of you.  I can't come close to MOA in any platform I shoot with.  I'm a good pistol shot and I've spent way more time behind a pistol than a rifle.

I've been frustrated with this rifle for a bit.  I just couldn't get it to group well for me and keep getting flyers or second groups when I would shoot.  Well, I finally saw myself pulling my shots.  Despite all my efforts I was throwing my shots off.  I was so happy though to be be able to isolate the problem to me and not the rifle.

After more practice I am finally starting to get some good groups out of this rifle.  The two targets shown below are the last targets of the day (and last 11 shots).  I would've shot more, but I was doing so well and was afraid to screw it up.

My 6 shot group is a bit tighter than the 5 shot group and both hover around 2 MOA.  I believe the rifle can do better, but this is the best I can do for now.

And I've found that it much prefers the heavier bullets to the lighter ones.  Under 147/150 it hates.  147/150 it does ok.  168 it does well and 175 it does very well.

The quarter shown in the pictures is for scale.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That sure is a nice looking rifle you have there.

I'm afraid to see how I'll do once I get my M14 built.  If my groups are anything like the groups I get with my AR carbine, I might as well put my rifles away and buy a Remington 870.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, one thing is for certain.  That is a super cool pic.  Only gripe I have is, I'VE ALREADY SEEN IT!!!!!!!!!!!  We really need some new pics!!!

Hooo hahahhahahaha

You're getting there.  I bet you can do better though.  Where did you feel like your pulling it?  How's you're follow through?  Are you staying squeezed on the trigger until the recoil is over every time?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, one thing is for certain.  That is a super cool pic.  Only gripe I have is, I'VE ALREADY SEEN IT!!!!!!!!!!!  We really need some new pics!!!

Hooo hahahhahahaha

You're getting there.  I bet you can do better though.  Where did you feel like your pulling it?  How's you're follow through?  Are you staying squeezed on the trigger until the recoil is over every time?

Yeah, I'm following through.  

I was pulling them right about 2 or 3 inches.  But I settled that down.

I think I can do better, but it's hard to tell.  I know that the M1A platform isn't known for super-accuracy.  Maybe with the right ammo and a lot of practice I could get MOA though.  We shall see.

For now, I'm really happy with this.  You know how hard-fought it has been for me to even get here!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, it's harder to shoot that rifle accurately than an AR.  Way harder.  That being said, I'm not really an expert and I can get mine to shoot better than that.  Not a lot better but a little.  And I don't have as much fancy stuff as you.  

Also, are you still using the bipod?  Or did you try some bags front and rear?  I'm telling you that will make a difference.  At least I think so.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IMHO, it's harder to shoot that rifle accurately than an AR.  Way harder.  That being said, I'm not really an expert and I can get mine to shoot better than that.  Not a lot better but a little.  And I don't have as much fancy stuff as you.  

Also, are you still using the bipod?  Or did you try some bags front and rear?  I'm telling you that will make a difference.  At least I think so.

I ditched the bipod for range work after you told me to a while back.  I was using a sandbag rest on the front and a sandbag and towel to stabilize the back.  I was trying to remove me from the equation as much as possible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Great looking rifle. A little practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I can add is try and get everything to be the same from shot to shot.  Placemenent of head.  Feel of the recoil.  Same pressure in grip.  Hopefully get the rifle to recoil in the same motion.  Same sitting position.  Same everything.  It's easy for me to say and to be honest, I'm not really all that great at it either.  To me the biggest things that improve accuracy is finding the ammo your barrel likes and being able to see my target real good.  And if the rest is solid enough.  

But 2 MOA at 600 yards is 12".  Enough to smoke someone.  So you're in the ball park.  You just need to start shooting further away now.  Hehehhehehehehehe!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
It would help if you had a partner. When you have someone coaching your technique it is very helpful, as long as they are knowledgeable. Nice rifle btw. My unit has some M21' and some XM21'. !! Oh also. From SDM school. Consistency is accuracy....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You gonna tell them about what you did?????

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You gonna tell them about what you did?????

I wasn't going to say anything in case I screwed it up royally and then I'd have one more thing to be embarassed about .

Actually, I just took it down this morning and everything looks like it worked out just fine.  It's tight in the stock but not glued to the stock.  It definitely takes some force to remove everything so I think I did the job right.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering - I got a do-it-yourself Brownells bedding kit and bedded my rifle using the guide on Different's M1A site.  I think it turned out ok too.

I have to wait till Sat afternoon to shoot it as I'm supposed to let it set 2.5 days before shooting.  We'll see if I can notice a difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I let the cat out of the bag.  I'm interested to see if it changes your results!!!!!!

You don't hate me do you?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sorry, I let the cat out of the bag.  I'm interested to see if it changes your results!!!!!!

You don't hate me do you?

haha -- it's really not that big a deal.  So, of course not!

I'll keep you posted.  I think I'll take it shooting Sat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
SWEEET!  And remember; NEW PICS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top