Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 5:33:50 PM EDT
I saw a Springfield National Match M1A in a local gunshop for $1,499.  Good deal, average deal or not?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price to me.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price to me.

-- Chuck

really?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If it really is an NM rifle and not just a "Loaded" rifle, it's pretty good.  Per the Springfield website:

MSRP:
NA9102 $1995.00  
 NA9802 $2040.00  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not go to gunbroker.com and see what they are selling for.  Most of the M1A's for sale there are by dealers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Pop the barrel-receiver group out of the stock and look at the receiver.  If there a large protrusion sticking down into the stock at the rear of the receiver it's a match rifle.  Or receiver anyway.  The extra (double) lug was an attempt to make the rifle more accurate.

I suspect this is a "loaded" rifle as noted above in which case it's MSRP.  Loaded is Springfield Inc. speak for "we don't have many more GI parts and hope you pay extra for these copies."  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I went back and looked at the rifle this morning.  I had the price wrong.  It was actually marked $1,399.  The barrel was marked .308 NM.  I didn't take the gun apart.  The rifle was previously owned and the sticker said less than 100 rounds through it.  It was in very nice shape.  Not sure if I am going to talk myself into it or not.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's a real NM it will should have a stainless steel barrel and a bedded stock. There is a possibility that the barrel is chrome molly so it will look like a standard barrel. Check the sights to see if they are the match grade ones.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-national.shtml

The SS bbl is a factory $45 option.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the rear sight...if it's got a small peep sight with a sunshade-like thing on it, it's a NM, basically, if it has an NM barrel. If it has a standard peep sight, it's a loaded model. (If the rear sight apature looks like a Garand, that is, it's not a true NM)

I have a Super-Match...didn't even know it until I checked the rear sight and some other things, and then called Springfield to find out exactily WTF I just bought. If you're really wondering, jot down the serial and call Springfield; they'll tell you, assuming it's all factory original.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The rifle did have the peep sight and did not have a stainless barrel.  I thought I would go to the Indianapolis gun show this weekend to do some comparison in price and setup.  It looks like a very nice gun, just not sure about spending the $ for it at this time unless it's an unbeatable deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
$ 1399 isn't that bad of a deal if the rifle is already glass bedded and has real match sights installed.

SA inc " NM " is not lugged and can be either chrome moly or stainless med weight NM barrel.

SA Inc " Super Match " is lugged and uses a Heavy Match barrel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Write down the SN, call or email Springfield Armory to know exactly what model it is.

I was looking at an M1A dubbed by the owner/seller as an NM.  But SA informed me that it was not, it had a NM barrel, but that's it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top