Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:55:43 PM EDT
I'll be at a disadvantage against all the ARs due to recoil, but I'll be scored at Major Power Factor.  Anybody use an HK91 or Cetme in competition?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you like your PTR91K?  I've got one on order, but it's the full size version.  Would you recommend the 16"?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Carbine. On paper, its only a couple inches shorter, but in real life, it feels alot more manuverable. Although it doesn't really feel like it weighs any less, the overall weight feels more centered (a little more rearward). JLD uses that heavy match barrel and the 18" feels a little muzzle heavy for me. It really depends on your intended use of the rifle. If you want to put a powerful scope and bipod on it and take advantage of the 308s range and accuracy the 18" would be better "sniper" type rifle. I plan on putting a low magnification scope, red dot, or holographic sight on mine to be used at 100 yards or less.  Rather than just hacking off 2" from the barrel, both the charge lever tube and barrel are shortened. The  Carbine has a shorter wider forearm than the standard model.  it looks like an HK 93.

That being said, the standard PTR is a great value. You can add a wide forearm guard later. I read reports about the standard narrow guard melting from barrel heat so be careful.  I'll probably pick up a standard eventually and make it a long range gun.  Can't go wrong with either one!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont shoot it empty cause  having to rack that cocking handle is not a speedy proposition.

Plus without a flapper, mag changes are not very intuitive
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dont shoot it empty cause  having to rack that cocking handle is not a speedy proposition.

Plus without a flapper, mag changes are not very intuitive

Agreed, I wonder how the people putting on the match would feel about using tracers for the last couple rounds of the mag?

As far as the mag changes, its actually not too bad for me, I'm a lefty so I keep my lefthand on the grip (finger off the trigger of course) buttstock on my hip, and change with my right hand, but yeah, a paddle would be easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top