Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:53:01 AM EDT
Ok guy here is the situation.

The "Soon to be wife" and I are going to London on our Honeymoon. So I am looking for a good pack to get to carry our camera and other items. But I also want something that I can use here in the states when I get back.

Things I will be carrying:
Cannon EOS camera.
ID's
Keys for hotel room.
Wife's meds
bottle of H2O

But I want room for other items if need be......plus something that will not be a PIA when dealing with subways and buses.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
if that's all you're carrying look at getting something like this...

http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-bail-out-bag-jr––tactical-nylon.html

or their zombie hunter bag or bail out bags
Not to military looking (exception being the zombie bag which has MOLLE) and should be large enough to carry everything you listed.  Yeah the look kinda gay having a shoulder bag, but you're a lot less likely to have the bottom cut open and everything removed while you're walking.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
When I went to last to London, I carried my day-to-day essentials in a Patagonia dry bag backpack - guide book, personal book, camera, food, unbrella and jacket. Patagonia is a U.S. brand, but it didn't make me standout too much. Black or faggy are how I'd describe most of the euro-look.  Earth tones in moderation are good, but euro-trash loves bright colors.  

I've been eyeballed in San Fran when carrying a DBT E&E bag. Any bailout bag (which I own) or MOLLE-laden bag will stand out.

I will say security is lax compared to the U.S.  Dramatically fewer bag searches when entering cultural institutions in Europe versus the U.S. The Smithsonian gives you a rectal search in D.C. but most British museums will let you carry in a duffel bag with wires hanging out and smelling of urine.  The laxity in the British rail and subway stations really surprised me, especially when riding the same lines blown up previously (bring at least two tactical lights, just in case).

But they also are much, much better at CCTV - I had a run in with a scary Algerian in the Musee d'Armee - they are watching. And good luck finding a trash can in Old London - there aren't any. Paris has some, but they are all clear plastic bags suspended at four feet in the air.

My wife and I carried FRS radios and maps to the U.S. Embassy in case we were separated. She also had to sit through a personal decon briefing and carry a N-95 too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
ive never had any issue with a laptop bag.
I haven't been to London, but spent a couple months in Yarmouth.
Carrying that much stuff, get a good water resistant jacket and forego the bag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I went to last to London, I carried my day-to-day essentials in a Patagonia dry bag backpack - guide book, personal book, camera, food, unbrella and jacket. Patagonia is a U.S. brand, but it didn't make me standout too much. Black or faggy are how I'd describe most of the euro-look.  Earth tones in moderation are good, but euro-trash loves bright colors.  

I've been eyeballed in San Fran when carrying a DBT E&E bag. Any bailout bag (which I own) or MOLLE-laden bag will stand out.

I will say security is lax compared to the U.S.  Dramatically fewer bag searches when entering cultural institutions in Europe versus the U.S. The Smithsonian gives you a rectal search in D.C. but most British museums will let you carry in a duffel bag with wires hanging out and smelling of urine.  The laxity in the British rail and subway stations really surprised me, especially when riding the same lines blown up previously (bring at least two tactical lights, just in case).

But they also are much, much better at CCTV - I had a run in with a scary Algerian in the Musee d'Armee - they are watching. And good luck finding a trash can in Old London - there aren't any. Paris has some, but they are all clear plastic bags suspended at four feet in the air.

My wife and I carried FRS radios and maps to the U.S. Embassy in case we were separated. She also had to sit through a personal decon briefing and carry a N-95 too.

thanks for the idea of the FRS and maps......adding those to the list. The thing that irritates me is the LONG list of what I can't take!! A freaking POCKET knife.......really

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top