Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 8:07:34 PM EDT
I know you have to have a tax stamp to legally own a fully automatic weapon, BUT what if you're purchasing it privately AND that person doesn't have a tax stamp to legally own it himself?  Does he have to go through the paperwork to get it legalized for himself before he can sell the weapon?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If the gun is not registered already it is not and can never be a civilian transferable machine gun. These had to be registered before 1986. If the gun has been registered and the person you are buying it from does not have a form 4 issued with his name on it he is illegaly in posession of the gun.
Big jail time stay away from this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response!

You'd think there would be a way to register a previously unregistered weapon given certain exigent circumstances.

I knew there was big jail time involved for owning an unregistered weapon but i didnt know if there was a way to make it legal.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd double check on the legal forum, but I'm pretty sure the weapon had to be MANUFACTURED before 1986, not registered before 1986.  For example, the newly manufactured Vector Uzi's.  The receiver (the part of that particular weapon that the ATF considers the "machine gun") was made before 1986, but the weapon is being made as we speak.

I'd also check with a Class III dealer in your area who deals with NFA weapons.  Of course, don't mention any names until you're sure there is a way to transfer the weapon legally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd double check on the legal forum, but I'm pretty sure the weapon had to be MANUFACTURED before 1986, not registered before 1986.  For example, the newly manufactured Vector Uzi's.  The receiver (the part of that particular weapon that the ATF considers the "machine gun") was made before 1986, but the weapon is being made as we speak.

I'd also check with a Class III dealer in your area who deals with NFA weapons.  Of course, don't mention any names until you're sure there is a way to transfer the weapon legally.

I'm pretty sure the Vector UZIs were serial numbered and partly formed prior to 86.  If ATF followed your logic (and I wish they did) there would be a lot more Sten tubes around.  Prior to the cutoff a couple of CII's numbered a bunch of tubing every 13" or so and registered the numbers with ATF.  At some point ATF came to inspect they weren't happy to see racks of numbered tubing without so much as a template on it.  I'm not sure which Sten tubes these were (Erb, Wilson, Catco, etc) but I'm pretty sure it was a common name.

Maybe Circuits or someone will chime in, but I'm pretty sure that just prior to the cutoff a reg. receiver had to be past a certain state of completeness to be considered legally registered.

Also, by your logic, all those M16s in gov.org hands made prior to 86 could be transferred to us as they're taken out of service.  Too bad it ain't so.

On the original topic,  If you know of a machinegun WITHOUT an associated tax form, run away, FAR AWAY and forget it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just bought one of the Vector Uzis.  The receivers (the GUN to the BATF) were registered before 1986, however they weren't assembled into complete weapons until recently.  Thus they were grandfathered because of the receiver's registrations.  The only hope an illegal machine gun could have of being registered is if there is another amnesty period allowed, and that's not likely to happen.  Sorry.

toast
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
No human can  possibly understand the ATF.  However, in theory, any FA that was registered prior to the cutoff in 1986? is now one of the golden transferables.  Ones we plebes can own.

So the Vector Uzis were registered, just not completely assembled yet.  They are in the ATF registry (assuming the ATF didn't lose the registry which is real possible based on my limited experience with those ....... never mind).

If you have a friend with a FA that  is NOT in the ATF registry - stay far away.  This is an illegal weapon.  However, all is not lost for your friend.

Periodically they have amnesties (like for illegal aliens) where people who "find" grandads war souvenier FA M2 carbine can register them.  No guarantee there will be another one but it is not impossible that your friend can register his someday.  But not now.

If your friend calls the ATF and tells them he has a FA  that is not registered they WILL come for it.  They will NOT be understanding and give him a break.  They will destroy it, and possibly press felony charges against your friend.

FAs are a lot of fun, but they aren't enough fun to go to jail for.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top