Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
About to take on my first "gunsmithing" project. I have a 16" barrel PTR91KF and want to put wood furniture on it. The KF forend is HK33/HK93 specification (I'm told) and definitely won't take a G3 specification forend as it is.

I've seen people make wood forends work for MP5s, so I know it can be done.

What tools will I need?
What's the best method (cut the back vs cut the front?)

I'd love to hear from people who have done it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Might attempt it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Go slow and be very careful.  Those wood forearms aren't exactly falling out of trees any more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go slow and be very careful.  Those wood forearms aren't exactly falling out of trees any more.
View Quote

This is why I've decided to shelve the project. I'll save the wood furniture for when I get a rifle it will fit without alteration.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]

That looks nice
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have done many of these conversions. They are a ton of work.  Removing both metal ends, re-parkerizing, re-shaping the wood, etc.  If you have the handguard with a charging handle cut-out, you have to bond another piece of wood to that area or you will end-up with a void under the front metal piece.  I had to develop tools to remove and save the original rivets. I laser cut router jigs to reshape the front end.  The image above was done by a buddy of mine.  Here are a few of my conversions.  As pointed out above, these G3 handgaurds are not easy to come by anymore so be careful not to muck it up.  I have about a dozen left and a few that I started on months ago but I just do not have the time to finish.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have done many of these conversions. They are a ton of work.  Removing both metal ends, re-parkerizing, re-shaping the wood, etc.  If you have the handguard with a charging handle cut-out, you have to bond another piece of wood to that area or you will end-up with a void under the front metal piece.  I had to develop tools to remove and save the original rivets. I laser cut router jigs to reshape the front end.  The image above was done by a buddy of mine.  Here are a few of my conversions.  As pointed out above, these G3 handgaurds are not easy to come by anymore so be careful not to muck it up.  I have about a dozen left and a few that I started on months ago but I just do not have the time to finish.
View Quote

Wow, your description of what one of these entails to really do properly makes me glad I didn't attempt it. Mine will remain intact and unused until I have a rifle it will attach to without any work/risk of ruining.

Would you consider selling a finished hand guard?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are beautiful! Nice work N_Parker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top