Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2013 2:52:53 PM EDT
Basic Norotos mount.  J-arm clicks into place but is real sloppy. Any way to tighten that up?   I did walk the yard a bit and had no problems.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This is one of the well documented short comings of the Rhino and J arm system.  Good news there are much better systems.  I settled on the INVG and dual dovetail adapter.  Bad news is they all cost some bucks.

Enjoy the addiction brother!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
attatch a small bungee cord from the monocular, streatched tight to the back of the helmet. It will help take some of the wiggles out, and possibly keep you from dropping them. I clamp the hooks shut on the bungee as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
attatch a small bungee cord from the monocular, streatched tight to the back of the helmet. It will help take some of the wiggles out, and possibly keep you from dropping them. I clamp the hooks shut on the bungee as well.
View Quote

Good one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They can be sloppy in general, but sometime you can tweak the fit, sometimes the small parts are a little sloppy.  I had one once that did not click in all the way to the mount correctly,  the spring part on the jarm that clamps into the mount was not fully engaging/opening up to get a good clamp which was causing a lot of wiggle.  i had to file it a little to allow it to fully clamp into the mount which fixed the issue.  check it over really well, look at the connection points, connect and disconnect and watch closely and just use your natural man skills of figuring stuff out, sometime you can get them to fit MUCH better.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Part of it is the j-arm fit and most is the fore/aft adjustment on the mount itself has some play.  Know what it is now at least. Bungee probably the best.  Thx.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I use one of these, cheap and takes a lot of wiggle out.  If your rino arm is locked in and has up/down play (doesnt lock into the down or upright position solid) then your best bet is to replace it.  

http://tnvc.com/shop/downrangegear-nrl-1/
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll just say this as there is better qualified people here.. Monet fixes everything... About 800$ will get you where you want... INVG mounts and arms FTW!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if I posted it here or not but..

The j-arm has a little play in it and the rhino mount fore/aft adjustment has a little play in it, they add up big time.  

I emailed TNVC a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet - with the INVG mount, do I need an adapter?  I have a 3 hole shroud now and the standard rhino mount and it clips right in (all Norotos), so will the INVG clip right into the shroud?  

It is a little play and if I wear in on the helmet without my glasses (Oakley Rx safety glasses) I can get it close enough to my eye that some play is removed with the rubber eye cup touching my face and it's close enough to my eye that I get a pretty immersive image.  With my glass on it sits that much further away from my face and with the slop I get bad shading 3-6 o'clock because of the play in the mounts and not as good a picture because of it AND it's a little further away.  Hope that makes sense.  

Anyways....leaning towards upgrading to the INVG with dovetail mount.  Has rave reviews.  What's a couple hundred more when you already got the $3k starter kit?  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Small piece of hockey tape, black of course, on the end of the J-arm and hey: No wiggle! Of course you can get better options with more money, pay enough and get a person to hold it for you if you like. :) But I'm not prepared to fork out hundreds for the mount.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny, I'm on the opposite side of the spec issue:

My transfer adapter thats supposed to fit J-arm receptors is too tight for my Cadex helmet mount :(
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The j-arm has a little play in it and the rhino mount fore/aft adjustment has a little play in it, they add up big time.  

I emailed TNVC a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet - with the INVG mount, do I need an adapter?  I have a 3 hole shroud now and the standard rhino mount and it clips right in (all Norotos), so will the INVG clip right into the shroud?  

It is a little play and if I wear in on the helmet without my glasses (Oakley Rx safety glasses) I can get it close enough to my eye that some play is removed with the rubber eye cup touching my face and it's close enough to my eye that I get a pretty immersive image.  With my glass on it sits that much further away from my face and with the slop I get bad shading 3-6 o'clock because of the play in the mounts and not as good a picture because of it AND it's a little further away.  Hope that makes sense.  

Anyways....leaning towards upgrading to the INVG with dovetail mount.  Has rave reviews.  What's a couple hundred more when you already got the $3k starter kit?  
View Quote
INVG should interface directly with your shroud if your standard rhino mount does. They have the same footprint.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
INVG should interface directly with your shroud if your standard rhino mount does. They have the same footprint.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome, thanks.  Watch for incoming!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the wilcox g11 and it works great with the standard jarm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top