Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2016 3:40:58 PM EDT
Only had to take it apart about 30 times to rid the image tube of all the specks

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They say purging removes a lot of the dust along with any moisture too. Yours looks pretty clean to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good dude. I need to take mine apart one of these days. I don't know if more dust got in it or what but mine isn't looking as clear as it used to.
Need another tube while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They say purging removes a lot of the dust along with any moisture too. Yours looks pretty clean to me.
View Quote

Im gonna find out if it has fogging issues tonight, hopefully I can get away without doing a purge
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat, I'm about to start my first PVS14 build.

If it needs nitrogen purging, where do you get that done and how much does it usually cost?

?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What was your total cost?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

traded into the tube from an upper and some pc repair work, but you can get the exact same tube on the EE for $2k right now and another $650 into the Housing
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not the tube you want for a budget build.

His tube is teh sechs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you get the rest of the parts? I see completion kits on ebay and from other vendors for 650, while other vendors list the brand as ITT and charge 950.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where did you get the rest of the parts? I see completion kits on ebay and from other vendors for 650, while other vendors list the brand as ITT and charge 950.
View Quote

Equipment Exchange
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Purging your pvs14... Kinda.

Some times I come across outdoor cameras that will not stop fogging up, I live in southern arkansas where humidity is extreme and and temp drops drastically at night, Outdoor surveillance cameras fog up like crazy if not installed right, So here's what I did to my pvs14s. I watched the humidity levels and waited for a night when it was low, usually going to be a cold night before it frosts. I took it outside on the porch table since we have a humidifier inside. Took off the battery pack and placed a small silica packet under the circuit board. These come with outdoor cameras so you may have to source one. Then put it back together, make sure your seals are good.  I have done this to 2 pvs14s and I have tried to fog this up and it will not.

There are other ways I've tried, like building a small blast cabinet out of large plastic bag, and pumping the air out with a hand pump (well ventilated area) then filling it up with argon/nitrogen, repeat 2 times, then pump enough air out so you can finagle a screwdriver thats inside to replace the 4 screws. But I find the first way the easiest, since I take mine apart regularly, and this is the way I recommend to my friends that are building theirs. I figured it since it works on cameras that cost up to $6,000 dollars, it should work on my home built monocle.

And If you want to have it purged later this will defiantly work until you have it done.

other things to consider when disassembling.
leave the eye pieces in, taking those off is just asking for specks on your image, There's something about the threads to the eye piece just dumps garbage onto your tube.
run a dehumidifier at your work bench.

Thanks J

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Purging your pvs14... Kinda.

Some times I come across outdoor cameras that will not stop fogging up, I live in southern arkansas where humidity is extreme and and temp drops drastically at night, Outdoor surveillance cameras fog up like crazy if not installed right, So here's what I did to my pvs14s. I watched the humidity levels and waited for a night when it was low, usually going to be a cold night before it frosts. I took it outside on the porch table since we have a humidifier inside. Took off the battery pack and placed a small silica packet under the circuit board. These come with outdoor cameras so you may have to source one. Then put it back together, make sure your seals are good.  I have done this to 2 pvs14s and I have tried to fog this up and it will not.

There are other ways I've tried, like building a small blast cabinet out of large plastic bag, and pumping the air out with a hand pump (well ventilated area) then filling it up with argon/nitrogen, repeat 2 times, then pump enough air out so you can finagle a screwdriver thats inside to replace the 4 screws. But I find the first way the easiest, since I take mine apart regularly, and this is the way I recommend to my friends that are building theirs. I figured it since it works on cameras that cost up to $6,000 dollars, it should work on my home built monocle.

And If you want to have it purged later this will defiantly work until you have it done.

other things to consider when disassembling.
leave the eye pieces in, taking those off is just asking for specks on your image, There's something about the threads to the eye piece just dumps garbage onto your tube.
run a dehumidifier at your work bench.

Thanks J

View Quote

Thanks, will give that a try next time I take it apart... no fogging issues last night so I think they should be good for now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Any one want to try and help me do the same as OP.  I am not sure where to find a good tube, but I am game for suggestions.  I liked the housing in the EE as a starting place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any one want to try and help me do the same as OP.  I am not sure where to find a good tube, but I am game for suggestions.  I liked the housing in the EE as a starting place.
View Quote

The same guy selling the housing has the exact same tube available for 2k (new still in foil)

This guy
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The same guy selling the housing has the exact same tube available for 2k (new still in foil)

This guy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy

How does this compare?  

HERE
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How does this compare?  

HERE
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy

How does this compare?  

HERE
Sweet baby Jesus, don't pay full price for tubes sold by an ebay seller with zero feedback.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sweet baby Jesus, don't pay full price for tubes sold by an ebay seller with zero feedback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy

How does this compare?  

HERE

Same tube the guy I linked on the EE has.... I would listen to Couch-Commando.... will be interesting to see what that lot sells for though

ETA: San Dieg.. probably from Camp Pendleton
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same tube the guy I linked on the EE has.... I would listen to Couch-Commando.... will be interesting to see what that lot sells for though

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy

How does this compare?  

HERE

Also, I'd be very wary of those myself.  If you look closely at the packaging those tubes are packaged like all other electronic parts that you get from the federal supply system (I know, I was a Navy NUC  ET for 20 years) and the warranty expiration looks like it is December 2016.  I'm not saying everything isn't on the up and up with them just saying that I, personally, wouldn't be bidding on them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
yep that is exactly how we received them on the MEU when the electro-optics techs had to repair them
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#20]
WOW.  I guess I was looking there to get a reference on what is out there.  I like the 650 kit but 2k for a single tube is a bit steep.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WOW.  I guess I was looking there to get a reference on what is out there.  I like the 650 kit but 2k for a single tube is a bit steep.
View Quote

ya used, even slightly your looking at 14-1600
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am cool with total investment of 19-2k.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there is a gen 3 pvs on the EE right now with a bunch of accessories for $1,800
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I ordered a housing from EE (same as pool shark) and a ITT F9815K tube.  Hope to have it all together soon.  Thanks for the inspiration and ill be sure to put some pictures up as I go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top