Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:25:25 PM EDT
I just picked up my very first shotgun......Hope i did good!

Remington 870 Express Synthetic
18" bbl with 2 shot extension

I actually wanted to police model but they didnt have them.....I didnt know if there was a big enough difference in the police 870 and the 870 express. My question though is: Is the model i go harder to modify than the police model or is there no difference? Could i install the barrel from the police model with the rifle sights on my express?

Im sorry if these questions have been answered. I have looked through the entire shotgun forum and every topic regarding the 870 before i purchased this but am still a little confused in modifying them, I really want to get a VFG but dont know how to go about doing so. Is SureFire the only quality brand that makes a rail for this shotgun.....I dont want something long......

Thank you so much for any help in advance!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:53 PM EDT
just shoot it like it is :P. great gun stock
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:39:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Inspector1:
just shoot it like it is :P. great gun stock

If i didnt skip class to pick it up at 6 o'clock at night, i would be up in the hills shooting it. The gun shop guy who i've become friends with, gave me some slugs to try out. He knows its my first shotgun i've ever owned and have only shot a russian semi-auto. He said, try um out and tell me what you think with a big grin on his face.

Stock just isnt a word in my vocab I like having something unique. Especially going to school in a small town where nobody really has a "Tactical" shotgun, just hunting stuff!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:43 PM EDT
yes you can. and working on an 870 is probably the easiest gone i've ever worked on so you should have no problem working on yours.

i've motified one of mine with a Mesa tactical high tube 6 positon stock and top rail with an EOTech 512 on it and it shoots respectible 6inch groups with Fedral hydra shock slugs at 100m.

the other 870 i put an ATI top folding stock and front pistol grip on with Tac Star side saddle and i Modified the front grip with a picattiny rail and added a Surefire Nitron light and it also has an extra 5 round shell holder on the stock very compact and easy to use in close quarters.

good luck
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:54:01 PM EDT
the Hornday TAP 8 piece buck shot works outstanding ive pattrened it out 20 yrd and all shots hit the target in the chest and i tried the S&B 9 piece at the same distance and only 4 of the 9 hit the target for me it is worth the extra cash but when we go up in the hills to shoot i ususally get the S&B just to mess around with
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:54:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shotgunner45:
yes you can. and working on an 870 is probably the easiest gone i've ever worked on so you should have no problem working on yours.

i've motified one of mine with a Mesa tactical high tube 6 positon stock and top rail with an EOTech 512 on it and it shoots respectible 6inch groups with Fedral hydra shock slugs at 100m.

the other 870 i put an ATI top folding stock and front pistol grip on with Tac Star side saddle and i Modified the front grip with a picattiny rail and added a Surefire Nitron light and it also has an extra 5 round shell holder on the stock very compact and easy to use in close quarters.

good luck

Hey thanks for the reply. I am also interested in putting a "AR" stock on my shotgun, since the owner of the gun shops wife said i have broad shoulders my arms are shorter...I dont know how true that is, but i admit i have short arms, nothing weird though. So anyways i thought it would be good to have something adjustable for me, and also for my roommates who go shooting with me. Plus i am more comfortable with it. I was looking at two different models, one with the rail and the other without. If i got the one without the rail, the only way i could use ghost rings would be to get a different barrel right? Also, with the side saddle, do i need to get different forend, shorter, so it wont interfere with the saddle?

How do you modify the front grip? Do you have a picture?

Does Wilson make their own side saddles or is it someone elses?

Once again Thank You!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:55:52 PM EDT
Shotgunner45

What part of WA are you from?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:25:37 PM EDT
Mesa Tactical has one of the best and its the one i bought was well worth the money they have a high and low tube adaptor so you can use either your own optics (high tube with rail) or iron sights( low tube)

the side saddle you should be able to get at your local gunshop or on line and the modification to the forend is easy you'll need to cut down the standard forend to about 7 inches long front to back any shorter and it will move on you

the side saddle is made buy Tac Star check around and find you one at a desent price.

and im about 5 miles from the canadian border,
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:53:45 PM EDT
Did you look into the Cav Arms SST 870 or did you just decide on the Mesa. It seems like the Cav Arms doesnt have as big a gap where the rail touches the reciever compared to the Mesa.

So Wilson Combat doesnt make a side saddle, they are a distributor of tac-star?

I was interested in getting a rail so i could mount a VFG. But i was hoping i could find a rail that was a lot smaller than the standard forend. However, i dont want to loose and reliability and increase the risk of running into problems. Is this what you meant when you said cut it down to 7 in. front to back.

the rail i saw that got me interested in that look was from a post of the 9in. tan 870
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:24 PM EDT
the wilson forend is nice and it is designed not to interfer with the Tac Star side saddle shell holder
the other good thing about it is that is doesnt cost as much as the Sure fire forend 80 or so for the wilson and almost 200 for the sure fire

no i never looked into the Cav Arms but i will now but i was sold on the Mesa tacticals construction the look and feel as well only problem is the color mismatch but ill be fixing that so

about the 7 inch length of the forend i was talking about is if you get the side saddle shell holder for your gun now and cut down the standard forend that came with your shotgun to 7 inches long till you can get the wilson forend that you want
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:38:46 PM EDT
wow wish i had seen the Cav arms looks really nice
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:47:55 AM EDT
On another note....How often do you clean your shotgun? I clean my AR after every trip to the range, whether it be 20 rounds or 1,000 rounds. But i was just curious how often and what the routine cleaning procedure is?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:27 AM EDT
I,m like you it dont matter if i put 1 round or 1000 i clean my guns shotguns AR or pistol if i take it out and fire it i clean it plus if you fire slugs it does have a tendacey to lead up a little

My only piece of advice is becarful when removing the trigger assembly cause it can be a real bear to get back in well at least mine are lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:48 AM EDT
Have i have another question, but didnt want to start another post yet for something that could probably easily be answered......So ill start here and if it doesnt get attention ill start a new post...

I have a 18" 870 Express with 2 shot extension from factory...... Would i be safe removing the 2 shot extension. and maybe putting on a wilson 1 shot extension........Or would taking off the 2 shot from the factory create some sort of reliability problem.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:26:32 AM EDT
Youd be OK replacing the extension, but I woudlnt. In my opinion, the factory Remmy extension is a better piece than the Wilson, plus youre losing a shot for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:03:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By patrol120:
Youd be OK replacing the extension, but I woudlnt. In my opinion, the factory Remmy extension is a better piece than the Wilson, plus youre losing a shot for no reason.

I totally agree with you in that the quality of the Factory Remington extension is better than the Wilson, which isnt even made by wilson. But i guess more so my question is now, could i if i wanted to, take off the extension completely without loosing any reliablity, especially when i did put it back on.

For example;
Would i loose quality and reliability if i dont have that factory extension...and what do i need to get to take place of the extension (noob)
Would it not be as good quality and reliability when i put the extension back on, as when it left the factory
Top Top