Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2020 11:22:25 PM EDT
I know there are a few threads in here about which Lage upper to go with on the Mac series of guns.  I read those and there was some great info in those threads.  I am getting ready to journey down the road for my first machine gun.  After many months of research, YouTube videos ad nauseum and trying to stay in a reasonable budget I have settled on the Mac 11/9.  I have an SBR'ed full size MP5 9mm with can so I am fine with staying in the 9mm world.  I like the size of the Mac 11/9 but am open to any and all opinions on any off the other Mac offerings.  I did briefly peruse the offerings from Uzi which I like as well but on average they are anywhere from $3k and higher.  I realize it is sorta an apples to oranges comparison as the Uzi is iconic, has been around forever and in it's stock form is a much better shooter then a stock Mac 11.  But with the advent of companies like Lage and others designing and offering new upper receivers, better stocks, accessories ect ect the Mac 11 looks like a gun that can be made into a sweet shooting sub machine gun.

My questions are a little different from some of the previous Mac/Lage threads.  I am mostly interested in keeping this gun in a subgun form versus a longer rifle style variant.  Therefore I have narrowed down my Lage upper search to go with a Mac 9/11 to either the  Max-11 mk2 or Max-11k.  Both are obviously back ordered and since I will be waiting on my tax stamp for awhile anyways that is not an issue.  My question to those that have shot both versions pros/cons of each?  I realize the Max-11 mk2 is probably going to be closer in size to my MP5 whereas the 11k is going to be closer to an MP5k in size, correct?  Second question is suppressors.  I already have a Rugged Obsidian 9 that I bought last year for my MP5 plus all the adapters for 3 lug to all threads sizes.  Is that a suppressor that would work well on a Mac or do I need to think about something else?  I hate to wait a year on getting the stamp back on the Mac to find out there are much better options on suppressors and have to wait another year on a new suppressor.

Thanks Fellas!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive shot the Max-11 mk2 and Max-11k, but only own the K

To me a submachinegun should be short, lightweight and compact.
Attachment Attached File

Also have the obsidian 9. I usually run it in the K configuration with 147 fmj which is naturally subsonic.
M11/9 Lage Max11k Upper Suppressed
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Max11 relies on your stick mags.

Some M11s need to have the feed ramp bent up to feed the Max11.

If you want to try out a Max11 full size to see iff you need to bend parts, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a m11/9 and I bought all the uppers he had come out with. My opinion on the best bang for your money:

A) Put a .22kit in the OEM upper.
B) Get the slowfire K (short) uppers with the side folding stock. Perfect for a true SMG feel. I think the standard Max10/Max11 uppers and Max31 drum uppers were just too long when you put a silencer on them. And shooting unsuppressed is gay.**
C) Get the 5.56mm upper of you don’t have a RDIAS/RLL/RR M16.

**The only standard size Lage upper that would be better than the K is ArevaloSOCOM’s Max10 upper with chopped barrel and a silencer that threaded  back into the upper (like people that bury ar15 silencers down user the handguards). It was standard size looking and handling but more compact suppressed, too. He “got both”. But this only works with the Max10 because it’s wide enough to take a silencer internally. I don’t think the narrower Max11 could.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive shot the Max-11 mk2 and Max-11k, but only own the K

To me a submachinegun should be short, lightweight and compact.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/102065/IMG_0014-341258.JPG

Also have the obsidian 9. I usually run it in the K configuration with 147 fmj which is naturally subsonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BiYXO8r0iw
View Quote
Oh very nice.  I like that set-up and thanks for the video with the Obsidian
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the k, folding k stock, the sear, comp trigger (I did s/a version), the safety and the grips. Basically one of everything lage makes. That to me is the right setup. Get the lage sights or find some of the CZ scorpion sights and a red dot of your choice.

l finally got a mill and will be making a scout light mount just because I can for mine.

the other more expensive slower version is a semi k upper and the cfw tungsten bolt. I like the speed of the k slow fire upper. The tungsten bolt is beautifully machined, but I never use mine.

ETA: and shockwave mags!
mine with the collapsible when I was trying to (unsuccessfully) dewobble the stock.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Few other comments
1) I went with the FA only trigger as its a lighter pull and I don't miss the semi option at all.
2) Pick up every lage part you can, sears, springs, selector, etc...
3) Go with the heavy bolt or get the SK and pick up a tungsten, either way slowing down the ROF helps.
4) The suppressor will also help with recoil.
5) If you have never shot a open bolt subgun its a little strange. You do have a lot of reciprocating mass compared to say a MP5.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've fired a Max-31, a MP5K, and now own a Max-11k. MP5K is my favorite of course, but out of budget. The 11k came with the gun and I like it so far. The 31 does feel a bit bulky in comparison especially with a drum on it.

If I was starting from the beginning I would choose a Max 11Sk and buy a CFW bolt. There's a waiting list for those that should ship some time this spring. You could have a factory bolt and a slow fire bolt in the same upper that uses modern optics, a fore grip, etc. There are other options for factory style uppers with rails. See Practical Solutions and their side charging uppers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get the k, folding k stock, the sear, comp trigger (I did s/a version), the safety and the grips. Basically one of everything lage makes. That to me is the right setup. Get the lage sights or find some of the CZ scorpion sights and a red dot of your choice.

l finally got a mill and will be making a scout light mount just because I can for mine.

the other more expensive slower version is a semi k upper and the cfw tungsten bolt. I like the speed of the k slow fire upper. The tungsten bolt is beautifully machined, but I never use mine.

ETA: and shockwave mags!
mine with the collapsible when I was trying to (unsuccessfully) dewobble the stock.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158773/316AE7B3-E9C1-4905-8B74-E7108A47BE7F-525902.jpg
View Quote

What can are you running on that?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Omega 9k, but I'd get one of the modular ones now. Dead air wolf maybe.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've fired a Max-31, a MP5K, and now own a Max-11k. MP5K is my favorite of course, but out of budget. The 11k came with the gun and I like it so far. The 31 does feel a bit bulky in comparison especially with a drum on it.

If I was starting from the beginning I would choose a Max 11Sk and buy a CFW bolt. There's a waiting list for those that should ship some time this spring. You could have a factory bolt and a slow fire bolt in the same upper that uses modern optics, a fore grip, etc. There are other options for factory style uppers with rails. See Practical Solutions and their side charging uppers.
View Quote

Good advice.  I checked with Vegas SMG on their latest run and the issue now is getting the raw materials from China because of the virus.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had most uppers and my favorite is the max11k.  I do like the oem upper with tungsten bolt but the max11k runs a big faster rpm and I like that.  Either way, you’ll want everything.  That’s the beauty of the m11/nine is there are so many options.

And with .22 kit
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’ve had most uppers and my favorite is the max11k.  I do like the oem upper with tungsten bolt but the max11k runs a big faster rpm and I like that.  Either way, you’ll want everything.  That’s the beauty of the m11/nine is there are so many options.
https://i.imgur.com/fe7pYxW.jpg
And with .22 kit
https://i.imgur.com/2ZS7dan.jpg
View Quote

Man that is sharp setup.  Is that Lage folding stock?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss my mac.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I miss my mac.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity if you do not mind me asking why did you get rid of it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Man that is sharp setup.  Is that Lage folding stock?
View Quote
Yep that's the Lage K stock.  One tip is to use some of the rubbery gun grip tape on the lage buttstock, gives it some stickiness on your shoulder. Just heat up the tape a little with a heat gun and it'll get done in the grooves.

here is another shot of mine with the k stock and a much larger bowers vers 9s:

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Folding Adapters are out there for the magpul zuchov stock and the CZ stocks...

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow cool who makes the stock adapters?
View Quote

Www.norse-forge.com

They should be back for sale in a few weeks..
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of Lage’s first run I think #25-28? Love it just got the 556 upper ... & methinks im gonna buy another m11, lage has changed the value of this weapon and they are gonna become more valuble because of its versatility .
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought one of Lage’s first run I think #25-28? Love it just got the 556 upper ... & methinks im gonna buy another m11, lage has changed the value of this weapon and they are gonna become more valuble because of its versatility .
View Quote

Could not agree more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would argue a lot of that value is already factored into the price. When lage announced the Max11/15 the price ran up from about $6,000 at the time to close to $8,000 in about a year and that was before any uppers had shipped. The M10 and M11A1 didn't follow the same price trend until after Lage announced they would eventually make a 5.56 uppers for those as well.

All I'm saying is don't buy it thinking its going to be worth $10k in a year because of the 5.56 uppers availability, the market has already accounted for that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
K smaller is better...   I rarely run my Lage with a can.   Seems many M11/9s don't like flat nose subs and I am not running more expensive round nose 158gr through it except for special occasions.  If I reloaded, it would be different.

Have not had much luck with the 22 conversion kit either, been handfitted twice by Lage.  Loading the mags is tricky and doesn't help reliability.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the Max11mk2 and I am happy with it on my m11.

it runs and runs as long as I keep it clean and use quality magazines.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Could not agree more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could not agree more.

+1

Although as Spartikis said, the current market has already accounted for it to some degree. Five to fifteen years could tell a different story.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
K smaller is better...   I rarely run my Lage with a can.   Seems many M11/9s don't like flat nose subs and I am not running more expensive round nose 158gr through it except for special occasions.  If I reloaded, it would be different.
View Quote

While I have bunch of IMI 158gr subs, I have double of 147gr FPs that don't run worth a shit in my '13-vintage Max-11 upper (with 750rpm bolt.)

I think I'll wind up with a Max-11SK that I'll use with my original bolt.

It's only money.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Great thread.. Not to hijack, but is the only difference between the MAX11-k and the MAX11-sk is the SK uses the standard bolt? I have a tungsten bolt already and a standard bolt with a  speed cube.. So it seems like if I got the Max11Sk i could go slow around 600-700 or speed it up to 1400ish. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great thread.. Not to hijack, but is the only difference between the MAX11-k and the MAX11-sk is the SK uses the standard bolt? I have a tungsten bolt already and a standard bolt with a  speed cube.. So it seems like if I got the Max11Sk i could go slow around 600-700 or speed it up to 1400ish. Is this correct?
View Quote

SK is a non-reciprocating charging handle and uses the regular M11 bolt. To slow the ROF down you would need the tungsten bolt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes loveski5, the tungsten bolt will work in the SK upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

SK is a non-reciprocating charging handle and uses the regular M11 bolt. To slow the ROF down you would need the tungsten bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want the SK to go with my original bolt.

Why? I am not sure.

Getting bored with this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Details?
View All Quotes

SWD m11/9
Lage Max-11K upper
Scorpion sights
Noveske flush QD point
Fortis RAP
ILWT trilug
Lage grip
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SWD m11/9
Lage Max-11K upper
Scorpion sights
Noveske flush QD point
Fortis RAP
ILWT trilug
Lage grip
View All Quotes

I like!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I feel like my Max11sk is about as optimized as the platform is going to get.

I use a CF tungsten bolt. It’s a lot of fun to shoot under nods.

I’ve added some sling attachments and a WML white/IR light on the left rail since this pic, otherwise it’s ready to go.

I’m a big fan of 45 cans on these 9mm rigs. If it starts to back off, it buys you that much extra tolerance before you full auto blast your baffle stack. Maybe not necessary if you’re on 3-lug.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got my SWD M11/9mm back from jail and ordering the MAX11 MK2 Lage today, but not sure on the standard 1/2x28 barrel or upgrade to the 3lug barrel.
I only have two 9mm cans at the moment, Bowers CAC-9 or Gemtech GM-9.

Anybody know if a Gemtech GM-9 can will suffice, any experiences with that model?

I have both the direct thread & 3lug mounts/lids. Hoping it'll be fine, to avoid the large clunky CAC.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got my SWD M11/9mm back from jail and ordering the MAX11 MK2 Lage today, but not sure on the standard 1/2x28 barrel or upgrade to the 3lug barrel.
I only have two 9mm cans at the moment, Bowers CAC-9 or Gemtech GM-9.

Anybody know if a Gemtech GM-9 can will suffice, any experiences with that model?

I have both the direct thread & 3lug mounts/lids. Hoping it'll be fine, to avoid the large clunky CAC.
View Quote

The CAC’s volume really shines on a full auto subgun.

3 lug all the thingz!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where's the best place to sell one of these? I bought mine several years ago with all the Lage stuff, but my local range won't let me shoot it there. I don't see many guns for sale here in the ARFCOM EE, just parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where's the best place to sell one of these? I bought mine several years ago with all the Lage stuff, but my local range won't let me shoot it there. I don't see many guns for sale here in the ARFCOM EE, just parts.
View Quote

Personally, I’d look for another range.

If you must sell, try the EE here first.  Another popular place is the NFA market board on Sturmgewehr.com
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you must sell, try the EE here first.  Another popular place is the NFA market board on Sturmgewehr.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uzitalk.com too, but def here abd the sturmboard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for another range because if you sell, you’d be -1MAC...

UziTalk’s classifieds gets them sold quickly, especially when priced right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Frank at Midwest tactical if you need cash fast.

I would hold onto it and look for another range.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#43]
If at all possible, to avoid potential post purchase cognitive dissonance, I suggest that you try to find a way to test shoot whatever uppers you are considering.  The fit and feel of how they shoot is a more than somewhat subjective experience.  Your body and your physiological-physiological reactions are different from everyone else.

Best of luck with your SMG and whatever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Lots of great stock and upper options for the Mac
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I have an AR stock on my M11/9 and run the Max-11mk2 about 99% of the time along with a Bowers can.  

Is it tiny and light?  Nope.. Does it work with my super long, chimpanzee like arms?  Absolutely :)

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I own an SWD 11/9 with a Lage Mk.II Upper. It has become my favorite MG to shoot. There was an ~200 round break-in period to get everything running together (including the ZMAGS) but it has been humming along now for thousands of rounds without a failure. I did install ONE Lage rate increasing block to tune it to the  ROF I desired. I have a Romeo 5 RDS on top. Make sure to buy ZMAGS. Absolutely the best mags for these guns.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#48]
How do you like that Lage collapsible stock?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How do you like that Lage collapsible stock?
View Quote

Well this thread cost me 8k...just bought a m11/9, unfired in box.  Guess I should have done it years ago.  On the list for a Lage upper....and trying to stop myself from getting the max11/15.  Keeping my fingers crossed to have her by the 4th of July
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Unless you already have a RR, RDIAS, or LL I'd get that MAX-11/15. It's worth it IMHO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top