Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:25:54 PM EDT
Call me anal, but I like to keep my equipment clean and my tools (knives) sharpened and lubed in the field.

Here's my little deployment knife-care kit. The only thing not added is a leather strop...hacked from an old leather belt. I'm going to make a smaller strop for my kit.

Here's my little deployment knife-care kit. The only thing not added is a leather strop...hacked from an old leather belt. I'm going to make a smaller strop for my kit.

-DMT Duofold...excellent for the large blades/axes and quick sharpening
-Smith's small diamond rod...great for serrations
-Sanding sponge, good for cleaning and honing convex edges with...
-Some fine grit wet/dry sand paper
-Small toothbrush...helps clean out the saw teeth
-DMT's little credit-card sized hone (will also fit sawblade teeth)
-Small bottle of oil
-Chromium oxide stropping paste...travel size :lol:
-Small rag

-Gatco (or whoever is making it now) ceramic triangle rod (not a part of my kit as the Smith rod is lighter and does serrations better)

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:23:02 PM EDT
Thats a lot of kit. How 'in the field' do you mean? If I have any up keep tools with me when I'm out its a file for the ax and a stone for the knife. Haha, if I had all that stuff, Id be 'in my house.'
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:03:19 PM EDT
well i think he has all thought for an extended bug out correct me if im wrong. very nice little kit though, it gives me a couple of ideas for my new BOB
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
haha forgot i wasnt in the survival forum
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:06:50 PM EDT
you have a lot of stuff there. not knocking it but you may want to trim it down.
you can get by with a single ceramic stick and a hard Arkansas stone.
They will do everything your kit will do and you can clean them with soap and water.
no oil reqd.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 5:02:46 AM EDT by ROCK6]
This is more of a BOV kit, but it doesn't take up much weight...I'm not using the smaller triangular ceramic for this kit anymore. This set up will easily keep me working on blades for a little one-year deployment. As to the weight...it weighs an about an ounce over a file and small india stone together. If I get a smaller container for the chromium oxide, I could shave another ounce off.

Your really don't even need the chromium oxide paste, just a good small section of belt or piece of good leather. The small section of 150grit sanding sponge duals as a scrub pad to clean pitch and other goo off the blade...it also helps when sharpening a convex edge blade with the wet/dry sandpaper. The toothbrush section does more than just blades...works on firearms and other equipment as well (same as the honing/lube).

You could get by with just the DMT duofold shapener...very compact and light, and will keep edges from an axe, machete or "combat" knfie to smll pocket knife-blade very serviceable. I'm just going a little further to keep my blades touched up a little more...

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top