Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:25:54 PM EDT
Call me anal, but I like to keep my equipment clean and my tools (knives) sharpened and lubed in the field.

Here's my little deployment knife-care kit. The only thing not added is a leather strop...hacked from an old leather belt. I'm going to make a smaller strop for my kit.

Here's my little deployment knife-care kit.  The only thing not added is a leather strop...hacked from an old leather belt.  I'm going to make a smaller strop for my kit.

-DMT Duofold...excellent for the large blades/axes and quick sharpening
-Smith's small diamond rod...great for serrations
-Sanding sponge, good for cleaning and honing convex edges with...
-Some fine grit wet/dry sand paper
-Small toothbrush...helps clean out the saw teeth
-DMT's little credit-card sized hone (will also fit sawblade teeth)
-Small bottle of oil
-Chromium oxide stropping paste...travel size :lol:
-Small rag

-Gatco (or whoever is making it now) ceramic triangle rod (not a part of my kit as the Smith rod is lighter and does serrations better)

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a lot of kit.  How 'in the field' do you mean?  If I have any up keep tools with me when I'm out its a file for the ax and a stone for the knife.  Haha, if I had all that stuff, Id be 'in my house.'
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
well i think he has all thought for an extended bug out correct me if im wrong. very nice little kit though, it gives me a couple of ideas for my new BOB
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
haha forgot i wasnt in the survival forum
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
you have a lot of stuff there.  not knocking it but you may want to trim it down.
you can get by with a single ceramic stick and a hard Arkansas stone.
They will do everything your kit will do and you can clean them with soap and water.
no oil reqd.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#5]
This is more of a BOV kit, but it doesn't take up much weight...I'm not using the smaller triangular ceramic for this kit anymore.  This set up will easily keep me working on blades for a little one-year deployment.  As to the weight...it weighs an about an ounce over a file and small india stone together.  If I get a smaller container for the chromium oxide, I could shave another ounce off.

Your really don't even need the chromium oxide paste, just a good small section of belt or piece of good leather.  The small section of 150grit sanding sponge duals as a scrub pad to clean pitch and other goo off the blade...it also helps when sharpening a convex edge blade with the wet/dry sandpaper.  The toothbrush section does more than just blades...works on firearms and other equipment as well (same as the honing/lube).

You could get by with just the DMT duofold shapener...very compact and light, and will keep edges from an axe, machete or "combat" knfie to smll pocket knife-blade very serviceable.  I'm just going a little further to keep my blades touched up a little more...

ROCK6  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top