Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 9:51:40 AM EDT
What do you guys think about the Fabrique Nationale Model 49 rifles that SOG is selling in .308 caliber?

www.southernohiogun.com/

Think they are worth spending $695 for one?
How much are these things selling for privately?

Anybody know the history on these rifles?

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
An FN-49 in good condition goes for about $400 or more depending on model.  8mm is around $400, .30-06 around $1200.

1) Argentina used their FN-49 rifle in 7.65 Argentine.

2) 30 round mags are Very rare, and they don't look like Fn-49 mags.

I would stay away from this rifle.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They were also butchered to meet ATFE specs for importation.

I belive there are weld spots on the barrel where the flash-hider was removed and a thread cover was welded on.

A LOT of people report that the welds are pretty bad, lot's of burrs inside the barrel.

Buyer beware.

Av.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle, while over built, in reality suffers from a reciever that becomes very brittle in cold weather.  The British had to have theirs removed from Korea in the cold winter.

All models thereafter (1952 I think) were made with softer metal so they wouldn't crack.

The 7.65 Argentine round, while giving .308 performance, is a much lower presure round.  I wouldn't trust it with the .308/7.62
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I really appreciate your advice.

I think I'll pass on this one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
For the most part, the FN49 is a decent rifle. They do suffer from a few faults, (Broken firing pin generating unexpected forays into MBR full auto simulation, loose trigger group screws will do the same..) I've seen a pre ban variant of this rifle, although it was an AFN, not the more common SAFN.. Looked like it used a modded FN/FAL mag..

I would personally want one in 7X57, or .30. Egyptian variants in 7.92 are not that rare if you need to cure your FN jones.

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top