Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 11:43:25 AM EDT
Ok, I traded off an AR I had that never saw much use for this FAL.  I know it's on an Enterprise receiver....which I know from reading here can be hit or miss.  Other than that I don't know anything about it.  What kind of pieces are the rest of the rifle made of?  Can you tell by the pics?  I always see people talking about Argentine, this, that and the other.  There is a small marking on the black heatshield piece towards the end of the barrel, but I don't know what it is.

What kind of flash hider is this?  Shouldn't it be tightened down all the way ? LOL.  I can turn it by hand and take it off.  It came with three mags, one fits ok, but the other two I have yet to get to "latch" in all the way.  

This is metric so it will take either type of mag correct?  Anyways, anything anyone wants to chime in with, please feel free.  I know absolutely NOTHING about this rifle, other than I've always wanted one lol.  

Thanks, as always.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Forearm is Israeli light barrel, flash hider looks like a DSA short stoll.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Rear sight looks likes tandard STG, handguards are Izzy, flash supp, either DSa, or cut down STG.

Not sure about takedown lever, not STG
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
And you can tell that from that marking on the black piece, what the barrel is?  

Also, so what section am I going to look at if I visited DSA's website?  They have a section for L1A1 products and FAL SA58.  How do I know what parts/pieces fit my rifle?

Everyone always says visit FAL files for info.  Do they not have sticky's like here that help you with the basic info everyone asks over and over and over and over?  Show a diagram on how to field strip it, etc?

When I said I know nothing about this rifle, I meant NOTHING! lol

Whether it was dumb or not I just kind of jumped into it when this rifle came along, so now I have to learn lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
DSA Short Steyr type flash hider (yes, tighten id down snugg ++)
G1 Lower
Imbel barrel (crhome lined) and forend gas system, sight, sling swivel parts)
Izzy Handguards (missing a center support spacer)
Metric Sights

Gas plugs is upside down, It won't shoot like that. rotate it 180. cut out notch with (A) faces up.
Gas Regulator should be screwed in until it hits the gas block, then back if off to adjust for pressure (with all the paint, it probably wont move much further) LOL

Pure bread MUTT!

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, guys thank for all the info so far!  Anyone else have anything to throw in?  Any tips, hints, other various info? LOL
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dare I say it here...  FALfiles
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is metric so it will take either type of mag correct?  

Vice Versa. Inch pattern accepts either mag. Metric only takes metric.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the makings of a fine running FAL.  Take it out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Worst I have seen......give ya 400 bucks for it.

I say rattle can the whole thing, and have at it!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dare I say it here...  FALfiles

I just visited the FALFILES and got this message

vBulletin Message
The server load is currently too high to support your request. Please do not keep hitting refresh (we know you're doing it, we know everything, don't even think of hitting refresh again and go put some clothes on for cryin out loud!). Go get a cup of coffee, take a potty break or maybe even spend some quality time with your significant other (We're sure that they miss you) and come back in a few minutes. The more people hit refresh because the site does not load the longer this will take.

Spend time with my significant other?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Was super slow earlier, still slow, but ok now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Gas plug looks inch pattern as well.  Type III upper receiver takes metric mags.  Looks like a hadge podge of different parts.  Entreprise receiver, if fitted correctly should give you no problems.  I am not feeling the love for the paint scheme and wood handguards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Everyone knows a mutt is the best dog one can have.
Take'r out and shoot'er, she'll love ya back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I'm not worried about it being a mutt at all as long as it's a shooter!  I agree with the wood handguards.  What would be a good alternative if I wanted something different?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#16]
A set of Imbel / U.S. made handguards would work very well.  I find the actual Imbels to be made much better than the US made stuff.  Or you could get some nice STG steel handguards and have to wear an oven mitt to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dare I say it here... FALfiles
These guys are a great wealth of knowledge and help. Also ARF is said to have some great people too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd strongly recomend you take it to someone who knows what they're doing. If the FH was only finger tight, I can imagine what the headspace is and the barrel torque as well. It looks like you just got a parts kit that happens to be somewhat assembled. Do the other two mags (that don't lock up) have a larger catch on the front? They may be inch mags.

As far as resale goes, good luck. I nor any of my friends will touch an enterprise gun. I've personally seen 3 with issues that couldn't be addressed without major surgery.

Good luck. I've learned more expensive lessons than that, before. It pays to know about what you're getting before getting it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#19]
According to the guy i got it from, he's fired it before, it was a gift from his father in law so they could go coyote hunting together.  I'm not worried about resale really, i didn't buy it for that.  I try to keep all the guns I buy, so there's not any regrets later lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as the FH is concerned, you can either time it with a washer (mostly cosmetic) or just hand tighten it.  Not a problem, if it is left hand thread it isn't going anywhere.

The Israeli LB HGs are worth probably $35 or more and if you sell them it should fund almost any kind you want.

There are plenty of good running rifles built by Entreprise or built on their receivers.  If it runs, it runs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
That's all I'm really concerned about, having a rifle that works.  I'm not out to impress anyone with it lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll toss in my .02 in favor of the Enterprise receiver. The biggest complaint with them back in the day was they could be challenging to build on. It took more work than most of the others and most smiths finally got to the point where they could not work with them. However, once they are put together properly by someone who knows what they are doing they are excellent shooters. I've never actually heard of a complaint from anyone with a well assembled gun.
Don't sweat the hand tight muzzle brake, they are supposed to be hand tight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks hkshooter for your .02!  I enjoy hearing everyones opinion, good and bad.  Gives me ideas, and things to think about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top