Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2003 9:41:15 AM EDT
Just picked up a FN from a buddy that has a Thumbhole stock...what do I have to do to replace it with a non Thumbhole...I'm really confused with all this section "922" stuff I've been trying to figure out...any easy way, a kit???...etc...
Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just picked up a FN from a buddy that has a Thumbhole stock...what do I have to do to replace it with a non Thumbhole...I'm really confused with all this section "922" stuff I've been trying to figure out...any easy way, a kit???...etc...
Thanks...

Firstly, I highly doubt it is an FN my guess is it is a Century and possibly even an L1A1 and not a metric FAL. You need to have 7 U.S. manufactured parts to have a pistol grip and regular stock if you want a muzzle brake. If no muzzle brake you need 6. I wouldn't spend much on this gun go to www.tapco.com and they have 6pc U.S. part compliant kits for sale. Order that stuff and ditch the thumbhole stock. Check the upper receiver if it is an IMBEL you are good if it is Hesse or Century I would seriously consider having the headspace checked. For that matter, I check headspace on all my guns before I fire them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the really stupid part about this.  When that gun came into the country, the BATF said the presence of a butthole stock made it a sporter and not an AW.  Then, they changed their minds and decided it was really a pistol grip and therefore, an assault weapon.  Because it used to be considered a "sporter", they didn't have to remove any foreign parts.  So, even though its current condition would not be able to be imported today, you have to keep it importable by the old standards or make it into a domestic gun by adding US parts.

Clear as mud?  Good.

Now comes the funny part.  The BATF never has published standards for this.  When they change their minds, they don't do it in writing or anything else.  You just have to assume that if it has a butthole stock that it came in during the time that was legal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
As was said, it is probably a Century built gun. Find out if it is an "inch" pattern or "metric" pattern rifle. If, on the side of the upper receiver you see the word "Imbel" it is a quality built receiver of the "metric" variety. These were the best ones Century used.

Go to TAPCO and order an FSE hammer/trigger/sear kit. It runs about $49 but it is head and shoulders above the Century made pos's. DSA also sells a similar kit for around $100 but it's not twice as good as the FSE parts, it's about the same. These are 3 US made parts.

Order a US made stock/handguard/pistol grip kit. There are many to choose from. Here are 3 more US made parts.

You can add a US made charging handle and or gas piston for a total of 8 US made parts. But you need only 6 if you have a nekkid muzzle or 7 if you have a muzzle brake.

For example; Add the FSE h/t/s, a US made pistol grip (the TAPCO SAW grip is the shiznitz, I love it), a US made buttstock, a gas piston and you have the 6 pieces you need, if you want to retain the current handguards. (maybe you like them and want to keep them. You can. Just switch out other parts)

Visit the FalFiles.com. These guys know their FAL's and will be more then willing to help you out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a Century Arms...probably with the crappy rec...I'm dumping most of my cash into a new AR now so I want to dump the sporter stock for the least amount of $$$...I just want to make sure the gun is safe to shoot...how do I check the headspacing...Thank's for the info...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one of those and after a few changes the trigger(fse)was better than expected and the gun runs good.Goodbuy buthole stock!
No comp,and i want to compete in 3-gun with an fal.After a little thought i called Rapid Fire Ohio and asked if they could add my comp onto one of their builds.Todd said he would,i also sent a tapco scope mount so they can finish it alltogether.I'll be sellin this one i got now at the next gun show.I got a few hundred in it i should break even at worst(i hope).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top