Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 2:19:14 AM EDT
I put together formulas in Excel to do this but they don't seem to work out 100%.

Anyone know of any that are posted so I can compare notes???
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
  answer1 = (velocity * (bulletweight + 1.75 * powderweight)) ^ 2
  answer2 = 64.348 * weaponweight
  recoil energy in ft.lbs = answer1 / answer2

This one works for most rifle velocities.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Basic physics.  Newton's First Law.  Only the velocity of the powder mass depends on pressure at the muzzle, anywhere from 5500 ft/sec for a high powered rifle to 3000 ft/sec for a pistol.

Note, the product of the mass and velocity of the powder and bullet must equal the product of the mass of the firearm and its free recoil velocity.  Knowing this free recoil velocity, one can determine free recoil energy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
AeroE: Thank you for providing the links. My numbers do match when I plug them into the links.

I was using some data to cross check my formulas out of Hatcher's Notebook and the numbers do not reflect what he had listed… I have to re-examine that, only I need to read both chapters thoroughly!

That is what I get for doing something on the spur of the moment while watching TV!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If anyone is interested:

Cell Name - Input

Wg =           Weight of Fiream – pounds

W1gr =        Weight of Bullet – grains

W2gr =        Weight of powder – grains

Vp =            Muzzle Velocity – fps

Vc =            *Powder Charge Velocity - fps

Recoil Velocity =(((W1gr/7000)*Vp)+(Vc*(W2gr/7000)))/Wg

Recoil Energy =(((W1gr/7000)*Vp)+(Vc*(W2gr/7000)))^2/(64.348*Wg)

*I am using 4,700 fps constant for Powder charge velocity at the moment. (this is one area I am still researching.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top