Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2012 4:34:11 AM EDT
So the last time I shot my No4 Mk1 I noticed that it was shooting further and further to the left. Turns out the front sight will drift under finger pressure. Is it time for a new blade, and if so, where is the best place to get one?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on time and place of manufacture, your rifle's front sight base may have a set screw at the front. If so, tighten it and see if that helps. If it does not, or it still moves, you can peen the edge of the blade's dovetail and/or the base to get a tighter fit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No4 front sight has two variations of the block, three protectors and four blades styles, any combination could be called original.

Most all the front sight blocks have a screw at the front that tightens the dove tail.  Inverse slot head.  I use a 3/16 allen tip and cut a slot in it.  The war time expedient base does not have the screw, found mostly on Long Branch and Savage, most have been removed from service over the years.

If yours does not have a screw you can peen the dove tail with a center punch.

Front blades are found on evil bay.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a simple dovetail. Looks like I've got some peening to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The blades used in the solid foresight block are supposed to have a cut at the bottom to act as relief when pushed into the slot.  If you have a blade without a cut, that may be the problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The blades used in the solid foresight block are supposed to have a cut at the bottom to act as relief when pushed into the slot.  If you have a blade without a cut, that may be the problem.

It does have a cut.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top