Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2020 7:09:18 PM EDT
Well I did a search for "stock" and nothing really popped up but people looking for a particular one or talking about some retailer that has something back in stock.

I have a few different builds in progress and have not really picked out any stocks but looking for advice (advantages/disadvantages) and recommendations are welcome.  This might be more of a personal item, kinda like buying a set of pants, but figured the more I know can't hurt.  I have been wrong on that before though .

The AR-9, AR-15 and AR-10 platforms are what I am concentrated on.  The AR-9 will probably be first followed by the AR-15.  Not sure if I want a folding stock on anything either, most of them look a little cumbersome.  I would think having QD sockets and telescoping to be something everyone would want but then again with no true knowledge I could be missing something.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I like the Mission First Tactical 'Minimalist' stock. Works great for 556 and 9mm. In another vein, the Dead Foot Arms side folder with the Modified Cycling System (puts all recoil springs and parts in a very short buffer tube assembly) and allows for firing the gun folded or unfolded. But, its not cheap. For the AR10 I'm going with any of the decent mainstream collapsable designs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.  Most everything I plan to build will be range fun but due to my past shooting do not plan on using a bench rest that much except to get a good zero or verify the zero is GTG.  My opinion is every weapon I have could be used as SD so I plan to train and have fun at the same time.  I see myself on most occasions sitting at the firing line with weapon in hand (each position at the range has like a picnic table to use and I would have my elbows on the table top).  After this probably some supported kneeling position and then offhand.  I doubt I will attempt the prone position unless I get really bored or find the perfect ditch (me trying to get up is like a turtle on its back).  I did find the adjustable stock (cheek wield) on my bolt action was rather nice.  I will probably look for this feature but not mandatory.

I will start running through some of the "post pics of X" here threads and show some examples of things that interests me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Note, most of all my selections are based on looks alone and what I think I might like.  I will be more concerned with fit/finish/durability than price.  This was only after the first thread I found, it happened to be a "quiet' thread.  It looked like many repeats of the same stock, not sure if in other threads I might get more of a variety.

This gets my attention first but probably heavy, the rest are in no particular order:

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I also looked at the Mission First battelink utility commercial stock.  They also have an adjustable cheek wield for it.  Seemed nice but don't know.

One consideration after looking around, I currently do not have any night vision accessories but plan to in the future.  I see the battery storage but figure I would ask how usable are they; are they more of a gimmick or actually nice to have?

I also see some stocks listed as military and others listed as commercial.  I would assume this has to do with the buffer tube but not sure.  I was planning to run mil-spec everything just to be consistent but is there an advantage of using the commercial versions and how are they different?  If I did go the Mission First route it doesn't appear they offer the stock I am looking at in the mil-spec version.  I will need to get the buffer assembly, trigger, and sights to complete most of the builds (the trigger and sights I will just have to experiment with to see what I want, open to suggestions here as well but not trying to get off topic or open a can of worms either).

Currently I am leaning more towards the Magpul PRS for rifles that can go the distance (1000 yards +).  Then the Magpul SL-S for anything under 1000 yards.  At this moment I have a couple of pistol braces for the AR-9's.  I need my form 1's to come back anyway and plus it will give me more time to see what I want (maybe I will be happy with the brace?).
Top Top