BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
Is it ok to dry fire my AR-50?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Its not good to dry fire any weapon, Its hard on the firing pin and if you do it enough it will break. Buy a Snap-Cap then you can dry fire all you want without worrying about harming your firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its not good to dry fire any weapon, Its hard on the firing pin and if you do it enough it will break. Buy a Snap-Cap then you can dry fire all you want without worrying about harming your firing pin.

I've heard the complete opposite.

ETA: With the exception of 1911's
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought only Rim Fire weapons is a No No with out a snap cap
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard from a variety of sources that on modern firearms, it's just fine to dry fire.  I think in earlier years, with the use of sometimes weaker materials, dry firing could break parts, hence why the concern is still around.

Not true about all rimfires either.  I think it even says in my Ruger MkII manual that dry firing is just fine.

I've heard that dry firing a 1911 is just fine as well.

I wish there was a right and wrong answer.  In your case (AR-50) I'd shoot armalite an e-mail.  That's a cat of a different color and could use a different system.

All in all, I don't intentionally dry fire anything very often, just out of habit.  Or maybe I just prefer loading it up when I wanna work the trigger.

Gundraw

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
ive heard that rimfires and any weapon with a hammer that has a attached f/p will damage it

other then that it wont hurt it, (so ive heard.

Also: I dry fire my GLOCK all the time  helps in fine turning your trigger pull techniques
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
don't Try it with a Valmet 76 in .223. I was doing a triger job and dry firing it as I progressed. when i finally got it to where I was happy with the initial pull weight I went to test fire. Click no Bang, WTF. checked primer no dent no marks nothing.

Pulled the bolt and relized what happened, $37 later I had a new pin that I had to fit to the rifles bolt which is a PITA.

Buy a $10 snap-cap and you won't ever worry about it

Jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Armalite said to dry fire all i wanted it wouldn't harm it at all.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top