Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 10:06:42 AM EDT
Do you need to grease a Carbine like you do a Garand? And if so where at?

Sorry for the stupid questions i am new to Garands and Carbines.

Thanks E3
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
They work better if greased, MOST rifles do.

Grease:
The bolt body and locking lugs.
The rear of the receiver where the bolt slides under.
The groove in the receiver where the op rod slides
The front face of the hammer.
The cam cuts in the op rod.
The grooves in the barrel where the op rod "box" slides.

Use just a little grease.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on what was said.  

My only tip on greasing is to go to Lowes and get yourself a big ol' tube of white lithium grease for $1.29 and then look for some of the glue syringes that they have as well.  The syringe does a great job for being able to accurately apply small amounts of grease.  I have three loaded up with grease, each having the syringe tip cut at a different length so I have different hole sizes for more or less grease application.  Its worked well for me and may be worth trying.

However, please do keep them greased or at least oiled.  The last time I was out I wound up helping out some guy who kept blowing the op-rod on his garand out of the track.  Not only was he shooting commercial hunting ammo (which probably was the problem) but the rifle was BONE DRY...  It made me want to cry.  In fact, I could hear John Garand crying...  So, please, grease or oil.  Your rifle will appreciate.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well thanks for the info. guys. I have been oiling all those areas but i never greased any gun in my life except for the breach plug on my muzzle loader.
Will 550 degree wheel bearing grease work?
Thanks E3
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#5]
is that while there is a sling and oiler?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top