Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:24:27 PM EDT
Well, I was going through my safe and came across my Mossburg 500 Persuader.  I realized that I haven't used it in like 5+ years.  I got it all tricked out with a 6-round Side Saddle on the receiver, an ATI folding stock, and a 5-round Side Saddle mounted on the stock.  Also holds 7 rounds in the tube.  Basically, its an 18 or 19 (if you leave one in the chamber) rounds of SHTF 12 gauge zombie slayer.

It's nice to have a weapon like this for home defense, but a part of me is thinking I should sell it and load up on ammo or get another piece of hardware.  Here is a list of what I have:

Sig P220 45acp
Sig P226 9mm
Springfield XD 45acp
Para-Ordnance Tac Four 45acp
Para-Ordnance P12 45acp
Glock 22 40caliber (dept issued weapon)
Taurus Millenium 9mm
Charter Arms Off-Duty Snub Nose 38special
New Heritage Frontier 22lr
Bushmaster M4A2 223
WASR-10 Hi-Cap 7.62

Also, my wife has a S&W 5906 9mm and Rossi 38special snub nose.  

Do you think my Mossburg is a vital option needed in my collection in a SHTF scenario or basic home defense?  Or am I pretty well covered without it?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You always need to have a shotgun or two. Or if you are like me you need to have at least a dozen shotguns.

Looks like you are off to a very nice collection. I would say pick up a few more rifles.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You always need to have a shotgun or two. Or if you are like me you need to have at least a dozen shotguns.

Looks like you are off to a very nice collection. I would say pick up a few more rifles.

Chris

A dozen shotguns?!  I pity the fool that tries to break in your castle.  I don't hunt or skeet either, so not too big on bolt action rifles or real nice shotguns.  I sold off some of my more "modest" guns to build up on my collection.  Kept the Taurus Millenium since I it's a compact 9mm and the Charter Arms since its a snubby, and the Heritage Frontier as a plinker.  When you say pick up a few more rifles, are you meaning bolt-actions or something along the line of AK-74, FAL, etc?  As for another shotgun, a Franchi Spas-12 would be awesome and impractical.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You should always have at least one shotgun in the collection. just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless You are on a Really Tight Budget, I dont see why you wouldnt have a shotgun
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You have all the HANDGUN needs covered---everyone should have at least one good shotgun in the arsenal---plus you would probably take a hit selling it due to the "extras".
I think you should concentrate on a few more rifles also, maybe in the 308 area, plus a scoped "reach out" rifle.
my 2 cents anyway
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

A dozen shotguns?!  I pity the fool that tries to break in your castle.  I don't hunt or skeet either, so not too big on bolt action rifles or real nice shotguns.  I sold off some of my more "modest" guns to build up on my collection.  Kept the Taurus Millenium since I it's a compact 9mm and the Charter Arms since its a snubby, and the Heritage Frontier as a plinker.  When you say pick up a few more rifles, are you meaning bolt-actions or something along the line of AK-74, FAL, etc?  As for another shotgun, a Franchi Spas-12 would be awesome and impractical.

For rifles I was thinking a real nice .308 FAL, HK91 type or AR10. A good .308 bolt action is always good to have in the collection.

I am really not into hunting firearms either.....but I love hunting and shooting skeet. That is why I deer hunt with a HK91 and FAL and bird hunt with a 21" 8 shot Benelli

If you are not into hunting or skeet shooting you only need one shotgun. But I think shotguns are like golf clubs, and it is good to have a mix bag.

.308 rifles are more spendy to shoot vs .223 but they are a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I will keep the shotgun and work on getting a semi-auto 308.  Heck, I might even get a basic 308 bolt-gun too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You have all the HANDGUN needs covered---everyone should have at least one good shotgun in the arsenal---plus you would probably take a hit selling it due to the "extras".
I think you should concentrate on a few more rifles also, maybe in the 308 area, plus a scoped "reach out" rifle.
my 2 cents anyway

Yes,

I agree , you are already heavy on handguns (not that there's anything wrong with that ) You need to keep that shotgun and get a longer range rifle in .308 caliber. A nice compromise might be a new Saiga .308 semi-auto. You are already familiar with the AK series, You can mount a cheap soviet ranging scope and have a semi-auto, semi-battle rifle for under $450 total. The only bummer is the 5 to 8 round magazines but that's more than my 4 shot Rem M700 in .308.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree, keep the shotgun for home defense. Nice collection of pistols. I believe you need a battle rifle or two.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]

My grandfather taught me several rules for life

First: Shotguns for food. Handguns for when you can't carry a rifle. A rifle is, well a rifle its a rifle do your part and it will do its.
2nd:  Keep it simple. Not a lot of clutter.
3rd:  Enough is never enough.

SO by what my grandfather Rules:  

You have a lot what some might consider enough   Hope you have got a lot of 45acp and  9mm, because you have a lot of different guns that feed the 2, plus having to keep up with the magazines and maintenance. Do you keep ENOUGH mags with ammo loaded IN THEM for the Shit hits the fan senario. Now really think about it.   (See Rule 3.)

You have a lot of clutter 9mm 45 40 cal 22LR 556 7.62  .38   Do you have the space to keep all that ammo in sufficent quantities.  Can you get to it quickly and easily and employ it easily without, Without having to load the mag THEN load the gun.      (See Rule 2   KEEP IT SIMPLE.)

Finally Shotgun will kill the food. Hope you can shoot slugs for the bigger game (Deer). Do you carry the pistols regularly  and instantly be able to know where your point of aim is for each and EVERY one. Think about that one.  The rifles  WELL See Rule 1.

Now for the breakdown.     Stick to one caliber (just pick the one you and wife BOTH like)  for the handguns look at what caliber the LE's use and if you like then stick with it (40 cal dept issued there you go).  Then buy a lot of Mags or speedloaders(Revolvers) and I MEAN A LOT.  Keep the shot gun just keep it Ready to go.  Remember the zombie senario shoot them in the head. are you THAT GOOD A SHOT.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
M48's, M-44's and bandoleers of ammo for each.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
it depends on your definition of doomsday.  if you are refering to the day the next rediculous gun ban comes around driving prices through the roof, then yes i do have some.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Chris

Damn, I've got 5...

Including a SPAS-12, with another on the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
SPAS 12 will be my next shotgun. I only have 2 now, a Mossberg 500 and a Benelli M4.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, I was going through my safe and came across my Mossburg 500 Persuader.  I realized that I haven't used it in like 5+ years.  I got it all tricked out with a 6-round Side Saddle on the receiver, an ATI folding stock, and a 5-round Side Saddle mounted on the stock.  Also holds 7 rounds in the tube.  Basically, its an 18 or 19 (if you leave one in the chamber) rounds of SHTF 12 gauge zombie slayer.

From my research, 12 guage is a lousy round for zombie slaying. The round is too slow for follow up shots, and the gun doesn't hold enough ammo. When you have a hoard of hungry dead bearing down on you, you want a high capacity, easily controllable carbine, like your M4, WASR, or any 9mm carbine. Remember, all you need is a head shot. You don't need to blow the head off. If you use a shotgun, I hope you can run fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top