Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 10:26:51 AM EDT
Can i thread my barrel on my bolt action to add a flash supressor, or supressor(silencer)??

Can i make it full auto too???  (just kidding )
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
No, preban/postban laws do not apply to bolt actions. In order for a weapon to qualify as a semiautomatic assault weapon, by definition it has to be semiautomatic.

So....thread away!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Bolts do not fall under section 922 similarly pump shotguns don't either.  You could place a flash suppresor on your bolt gun but not a "silencer" unless you have a NFA registered silencer on BATF form 3 or 4.  The term "silencer" has very specific meaning in the firearms community.  All silencers fall under the Nationtial Firearms Act of 1934.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can i thread my barrel on my bolt action to add a flash supressor, or supressor(silencer)?

Yes. The "it's a crime bill" only applies to semi-autos. HTH
Charles

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Last Defender, i did mean a Silencer, the Legal ones you transfer. I'm thinking of the AWC Thunderclap for my '06. I'd like to keep it legal. I didn't know if i had to permenatley attach it of not, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The law banned SEMI AUTOMATIC assault weapons.  Bolt action, pump action, single shot and, yes, full auto can have all the folding stocks, threaded barrels, flash hiders, etc. that you want.  If you buy a registered Drop In Auto Sear and put it in your post-ban AR15, then you can do whatever you want so long as the DIAS is installed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I put a registered DIAS in my Remington 700 PSS to convert it to full-auto?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Yep  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Why bother with the cost of DIAS?.. just use the bump-fire method!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
SKSBoy,
Re-think the use of a suppressor on a 30-06.  Granted your going to loose some of the boom, but you will still have the crack due to the round leaving the barrel a sonic speed.  The real purpose for a suppressed High power rifle is disguise the report and location of the origin of the shooter.

Here is a example:
Shooter is at point A.  He shoots to  point B.  The spotter is off to the side of point A,B.
As the round goes down range, making a lot of noise(sonic boom), the spotter hears the round. But, due to the muffled report of the gun, and the noise coming from the round. The spotter with think that the shot began at a point in between point A and C, because that is where he first heard the round.

If you are going for a quiet rifle, then you will have to get the bullet to leave the barrel at sub-sonic speed.  In the 308, there are brass cases that have been produced to allow you to use reduced loads(low volume).  If you just try to reduce the powder in a standard 30-06 case to bring it down to sub-sonic speed, you stand a good chance of blowing up the gun.  By under loading a case, the primer flash can reach the front and the rear of the powder and can create a pressure wave spike due to the powder burning at a uncontrolled rate or double rate.

I don't mean to piss on your parade, but if your going to suppress a firearm, then go with a 9mm or 22. Both rounds are offered in a subsonic round that won't cost a lot of money.

As for my choice,  Ruger mark II with integrated suppressor.  All you hear is the casings tingling off the concrete floor and the bullet smacking the target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top