Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 3:31:42 PM EDT
Well.  This just goes to show that pleasant suprises can come years after acquiring a firearm.

I was at the range today with my friend to test my new Enfield No. 1, Mark 3 (Jungle carbine #5) fake.  I brought my '03 Springfield for him to fire just for the fun of it.  I affectionately call that rifle "Slobberknocker" and make a habit of NOT firing it too often.  Anyhoo, he gets situated on the bench, looks the rifle over, and say "Hey, look at this!"  It ends up that I have a 1903 Mark 1 that has a modified receiver to accept the Pederson device.  www.odcmp.com/services/Rifles/pipsqueak_pistol.htm

Of course, I don't know how rare/valuable this rifle is and I will never sell it, but any further information that anyone has will be greatly welcome.  I truly don't think that my grandfather (who gave it to me years ago before he died) had any idea about this.

Just thought I'd share this since I think it's kinda cool.

-White Horse

Found another link:  www.remingtonsociety.com/Pedersen.htm
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Great deal, dude.

Not too many years ago these modified 03's were cheaper than the unmodified 03's. I kept eyeballing them at funshows.

Now, the collectors are into them and prices for them are higher than the unmodified 03's.

There are few of these than the standards, though. It just took a while for the market to catch up, I suppose.

Any book on Springfields worth it's salt will have a good section covering the Mark 1 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Have seen a couple of these Mark Is at shows over the past few years. Don't recall that they were being sold for anything more than other WW1 era '03s.  Still, it's an interesting varient, and I for sure would hang on to it. It certainly isn't going to get any LESS valuable as the years go by
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw one that was cut for $1500 last year.  I see 1 or 2 a year at shows.  The real gem would be the Peterson device.  I think there are less than 10 that are known to exist, maybe less.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Macloud:

According to the web article, the devices were destroyed by the gov't.  It would be a very cool shop project to get the specs from the patent office and make one up.  Of course, there is the question of legality and finding/making the ammo.  Still, nice to dream.

-White Horse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top