Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2018 2:33:42 PM EDT
Regarding Dillon powder measure & bar de-burring and polishing:

To those who’ve done this... what are the results?
Is it worth the time and effort?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I found it to be worth doing. The throws are definitely more consistent.

I eventually need to do all of my PM's but right now I did the 2 most used (9mm/45ACP).

You can also use some wax on the metal as well (dryflash suggests this) to further make the metal very slick. Just don't go overboard with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
I found it to be worth doing. The throws are definitely more consistent.

I eventually need to do all of my PM's but right now I did the 2 most used (9mm/45ACP).

You can also use some wax on the metal as well (dryflash suggests this) to further make the metal very slick. Just don't go overboard with it.
View Quote
I'm curios what powder you were using and the variation before and after?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
More on Good Technique tonight.
View Quote
Excellent, thank you
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#6]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

I'm curios what powder you were using and the variation before and after?
View Quote
DF pretty much summed up my experience with most powders. I have now moved to pretty much all ball powders but still have some flake powders that is +/- .1 grain.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
All it takes is a small white buffer wheel on your Dremel and some Mothers or Wenol.  It doesn't take 5 minutes to make it into a mirror.  You will use one white buff per measure.

Who cares if it works, it just eliminates one more thing.

I also put an aquarium pump on my measure when I am reloading rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
More on Good Technique tonight.
View Quote
My press is mounted to a 3/8" steel plate on a strong mount.  My case feeder is isolated from my press.  That makes good technique much easier.

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been having issues in my powder funnel with A2230.

It appears static electricity or something else is causing a few kernels to stick to the sides of the funnel. When I lower the shell plate and seat the next primer, it knocks some powder loose from the funnel walls.

My powder is off by up to .3 grains, because not all of it drops in the case.

Should I polish the funnel to correct this? Any suggestions on a dremel attachment?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to have good rhythm or technique.  A stop at the top of the stroke so the powder can drain.  Especially when using stick/extruded powders.
Make sure the fail safe rod is functioning properly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
If all you use is ball powder, the Dillon PM needs no tuning. It will throw ball powder exact with good technique.

With a little polishing, the Dillon PM will throw small grain flake powder (Bullseye) exact with good technique.

Large flake powder (Unique, Trail Boss, 700 X, Blue Dot ect) + or - .1 gr.

Folks that can't throw these powders to this standard are not "using good technique".

When you move up to short cut extruded powders, (Re-15, IMR 8208 XBR, H-4198, ect) polish and the wax job makes a large difference.

With good technique throws of + or - .2 grs is possible.  This results in accurate loads with these powders.

Wax mentioned is Minwax paste wax. Wipe on let dry wipe off, metal is now very smooth and slick.

No the wax does not effect the powder.

When polishing a Dillon PM, don't forget the inside of the powder drop tube.
View Quote
I guess i've been pretty lucky with dillon powder measurers most of mine are 25~ years old.

No polishing

Bullsey , 335 , tac throw exact or less than a tenth.

Unique . titegroup never over a tenth that i've seen.

IMR 4064 + or - .3

I'm curious what "difference" was made?    IE it threw + or-  .2 better with stick  etc
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a small pump spray bottle (about the size for the Dillon spray lube).

Mix part Downy anti-static fabric softener to 2-3 parts water. From 12 or more inches away lightly spray powder measure assy. with extra emphasis on powder hopper. Coating should be very fine, not enough to bead up or run. Let dry completely and repeat after 30-45 minutes. Overspray on the rest of the press is fine, just avoid the primer magazine. Do not spray inside the powder magazine unless unit is disassembled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
To control static I dip the plastic hopper in soapy water and let dry, then the metal body of the measure is grounded to either an outlet or a water pipe above my bench (depending on where I an reloading... mobile press stand).

This eliminates all static without sprays and sheets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Update:  WOW, what a difference

I suppose I should’ve been more specific... I’m after very consistent powder throws for a precision load.  
TAC meters great of course but I’ve found that it gives up close to 100fps when compared the same cartridge with 8208-XBR.  
In my never-ending quest for better accuracy, tighter SD, etc. I’m experimenting with H4895 which is even grittier than 8208.  Prior to hotrodding my Dillon PM I was seeing +/- .2-.3, or an extreme spread of six tenths.
Which is simply too much, which is why I had been hand measuring each charge with 4895.

The powder measure tuning has cut that deviation down to less than a tenth in either direction.  
It’s ~almost~ as consistent as ball powder

Now I’m kicking myself for not having done this years ago
I’m very happy with the results.  Thanks fellas, much appreciated
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Is this for static?
View Quote
Yes - when its really dry I have seen a ring of powder flakes hanging from the rim of the powder funnel. Touch the die body with a damp rag and they all immediately fall off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Just for kicks ‘n grins, I did the same tuneup on an old RCBS Uniflow.
I typically use that one for coarse extruded powders.

It needed a bit more work as the ‘bowl’ portion was very rough compared to the Dillon.
But it was well worth the effort
Smooth and consistent, +/- 0.1 with Varget.  Which is incredible as far as I’m concerned.

Once again I kick myself... why didn’t I do this years ago?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of good info in this thread.

It will take me a while to give the polishing a try, but I'll update everyone one the results when I do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch3no2] [#25]
Originally Posted By pointman66:
Lots of good info in this thread.

It will take me a while to give the polishing a try, but I'll update everyone one the results when I do.
View Quote
It is SO very much worth the time & materials (requires very little of both)
What I did:

500 grit, 800, 1000,1200.
Blue Magic metal polish (smells nasty, polishes incredibly well)
Johnson’s Paste Wax (used primarily as a release agent for bedding jobs... had it sitting on the shelf)

I took dryflash’s advice and did the drop tube as well.  Which meant warming up the aluminum with a heat gun to wiggle the tube out (no big deal).  The tube itself has a rough-ish machined funnel at the top so that took a bit of elbow grease.  Still no big deal.  Warmed up the PM body again to squeeze the tube back in using a bench vise.  I’d rather not smack on this stuff if it can be avoided.

All total I put maybe an hour and a half into it.  Probably tripple what is necessary, but I tend to get a little carried away with this stuff
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats!  I was like why not try it too.  I now follow DFs advise on any powder measure and it works great.  I have one cheap Lyman Brass Smith I dedicated to 700-X for .38 loads, almost spot on when averaging 10 throws.  Like + .1 or .2.  I now really only use two Dillon PMs and they are extremely consistent with any powder, if not it's probably my fault.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:30:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:19:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#29]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top