The 550 looks like it has this on it.  

Swageit
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably just like some of us.

Now where did I set that bushing driver?

After 2 weeks of looking for it, I guess I better order a new one from Dillon.

2 weeks after getting the new one, Ah, here is the old one. I better put it in a safe place so I can remember where it is.

2 months later. Where did I put that bushing driver.

Look for it for a week. Must've loaned it to somebody since I can't find it.

Oh well, Order another from Dillon.

Or depending on how many primer systems he had purchased over the years from Dillon, they might have included the bushing drivers with them.
View Quote

I can see that, but this.  Three, must have been knocking them off bench a lot

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 550 looks like it has this on it.  

Swageit

https://i.imgur.com/YZaVILsl.jpg

That is the primer seater off of the BL550 loader. You single load the primer, then put the case in place.

Saves you a little money, and comes without the primer or powder assemblies.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Upgraded electronics, old looking pretty bad.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is the primer seater off of the BL550 loader. You single load the primer, then put the case in place.

Saves you a little money, and comes without the primer or powder assemblies.

View Quote

Believe it's the B version, hollow pins up top.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Getting two fans mounts 3-D printed to mount them on fins. It extends down the sides and held by small screws. The motor had the short fin coolers and the long fins were in a box that came with. Took tape of bottom and used CPU silver paste, getting safety wire to hold them on, zip ties now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Bummer, that is just the seater on the most basic model.  It can still load but isn't up to full speed at all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bummer, that is just the seater on the most basic model.  It can still load but isn't up to full speed at all.
View Quote

I can hand prime faster than that thing using RCBS universal square tray, have done a few thousand 300blk, 308, and 300wm.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can hand prime faster than that thing using RCBS universal square tray, have done a few thousand 300blk, 308, and 300wm.
View Quote

The real auto primer on a 550 is sweet.  That thing, nope.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking for a RT1500, no where to be found complete, just motor. Guess they can't source the power cord and switch box.  Is it just a common screw connector on motor that can be bought off Amazon?  Switch and cord are easy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking for a RT1500, no where to be found complete, just motor. Guess they can't source the power cord and switch box.  Is it just a common screw connector on motor that can be bought off Amazon?  Switch and cord are easy.
View Quote

You need to look for an AMP 206060 plug. It should pop up as a 4 pin connector, even though the 1500 only uses 3 wires.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure the motors are DC.  Is the rectifier in the switch box, or in the motor itself?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure the motors are DC.  Is the rectifier in the switch box, or in the motor itself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

165 VDC  rectifier and such in box
.  Just gonna wait for Dillon to get the complete unit in stock.

From Dillon:
There’s more to the cord set than just wires and a prong.  The motor runs on DC powder.  The switch box contains a bridge rectifier as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the call from Dillon, 1050 in pretty bad shape, 600.00 and change out the door, 370.00 in non warranty parts to bring it up to new specs.  Should be done by Thursday, then back to me.  Think I have the GSI bullet feeder, (.45) tweaked to work now, at least manual function test, real test is on the 1050.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got the call from Dillon, 1050 in pretty bad shape, 600.00 and change out the door, 370.00 in non warranty parts to bring it up to new specs.  Should be done by Thursday, then back to me.  Think I have the GSI bullet feeder, (.45) tweaked to work now, at least manual function test, real test is on the 1050.
View Quote

I saw a lot of wear so I don't find that to be a surprising cost.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
but with a commitment from the Previous Owner (if you can get it) to assist you via a phone call or text or whatever if you have questions, but a commitment from YOU that if there is something missing or broken, there will be no recriminations.  
View Quote
There is no sale of anything I have ever done:  car, press, house, gun, atv, tile saw, widget, etc. where this would have ever been acceptable, nor would I burden a seller with such nonsense.

Dillon:  1-800-223-4570.  Memorize it.  It is all you will ever need for help with a Dillon press.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no sale of anything I have ever done:  car, press, house, gun, atv, tile saw, widget, etc. where this would have ever been acceptable, nor would I burden a seller with such nonsense.

Dillon:  1-800-223-4570.  Memorize it.  It is all you will ever need for help with a Dillon press.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but with a commitment from the Previous Owner (if you can get it) to assist you via a phone call or text or whatever if you have questions, but a commitment from YOU that if there is something missing or broken, there will be no recriminations.  

Yeah. If a person buys a used product the buyer is responsible unless there is a written agreement.

I had a guy who wanted to buy an 03 Tahoe from me and wanted a warranty, on a used Chevy via a private sale. I laughed in his face.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I went into it knowing it had bad crank bearing, missing some parts, and needing a rehab, no buyers remorse, got a my moneys worth when considering everything I got.  Something new to toy with, never loaded pistol ammo, so that  is new.  I'm getting things together now to load 223 and also process brass on the 1050.  I need to start shooting more to justify the machine.
 Loaded thousands of 300 blk on my T7 and was happy with it, but I'll be setting the 550 I also got with deal to load 300 blk now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I saw a lot of wear so I don't find that to be a surprising cost.
View Quote

Good eye. There was one part that cost 170.00, forgot which one (think link arm) that kicked the price up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went into it knowing it had bad crank bearing, missing some parts, and needing a rehab, no buyers remorse, got a my moneys worth when considering everything I got.  Something new to toy with, never loaded pistol ammo, so that  is new.  I'm getting things together now to load 223 and also process brass on the 1050.  I need to start shooting more to justify the machine.
 Loaded thousands of 300 blk on my T7 and was happy with it, but I'll be setting the 550 I also got with deal to load 300 blk now.
View Quote

You'll be in for a treat once you get the 1050 setup.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You'll be in for a treat once you get the 1050 setup.
View Quote

Thank you. Was on the phone with Dillon today for a spent primer cup for 550 and he informed me the 1050 has shipped, no tracking info yet, but excited.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you. Was on the phone with Dillon today for a spent primer cup for 550 and he informed me the 1050 has shipped, no tracking info yet, but excited.
View Quote

I just duct taped a vacuum hose to mine that dumps into a little mop bucket.  The cup is actually kinda messy.  I may get a new cup for my RCBS Rock Chucker, one of those that require you to flip the ram around and it dumps out the back into a tube.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just duct taped a vacuum hose to mine that dumps into a little mop bucket.  The cup is actually kinda messy.  I may get a new cup for my RCBS Rock Chucker, one of those that require you to flip the ram around and it dumps out the back into a tube.
View Quote

I was reading they don't do a very good job of catching all primers, bought the 3-D printed extension.  Snake oil??, maybe, seems everything has a flaw that can be improved on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was reading they don't do a very good job of catching all primers, bought the 3-D printed extension.  Snake oil??, maybe, seems everything has a flaw that can be improved on.
View Quote

I just run the tube right up to the little flapper.  Thing is, sometimes the primers just pop out and have a mind of their own.  I end up using the shop vac often.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
July 1 is delivery day for 1050 if all goes well.
Watching a U-tube vid and this old guy designed a bullet drop for MBF, so I sent it off for printing.  223 and 9mm bullet drop tubes.  Uses a proximity switch instead of micro switch, pretty cool idea. Have all the electronic to fab up so it works with the MBF,  I did break down and buy one for 223.   Gonna try the GSI for .45 and if it doesn't work I'll get the MBF change kit.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Finding more odd stuff.   Different thickness

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Finding more odd stuff.   Different thickness

https://i.imgur.com/CyxGG5Vl.jpg
View Quote

Those are shims for tuning the mbf collator/flipper, and the detent balls for the mbf dies.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Those are shims for tuning the mbf collator/flipper, and the detent balls for the mbf dies.
View Quote

No shit. Bunch of different size ball bearings. .40-4mm, .45-3.5mm, 9 3/8 4.5mm

Forgot to ask. What do the numbers mean?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Enjoying the thread.

On my second 1050. Sold the first one. Took over 20 years to get a replacement. Just a cool press with lots of options.

Keep the pics and updates coming.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No shit. Bunch of different size ball bearings. .40-4mm, .45-3.5mm, 9 3/8 4.5mm

Forgot to ask. What do the numbers mean?
View Quote

The balls for the 40S&W are 4mm dia, 45 are 3.5mm dia, and 9/38 are 4.5mm dia.  I believe they all use the same die body, and the different sizes fit the projectile diameters for controlling the drop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The balls for the 40S&W are 4mm dia, 45 are 3.5mm dia, and 9/38 are 4.5mm dia.  I believe they all use the same die body, and the different sizes fit the projectile diameters for controlling the drop.
View Quote

Makes sense.  thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Finished the bullet feed tube project.  223 and 9mm drops. Would be more for the people that 3-D print their own collator, but I'm gonna try it on the MBF.

Wires that cut power to motor, normally the drop tube micro switch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#35]
3-D printed fan mounts arrived.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#36]

That is cool.  I have never been able to figure how I could put a 3D printer to use.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Any possibility you have the print file for the fan mounts? What fans did you install onto it right now I use a small box fan
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Any possibility you have the print file for the fan mounts? What fans did you install onto it right now I use a small box fan
View Quote

Hey. email Seth [email protected] ; I gave him info, he created a file and printed.  He's updating file now, was a tad short, (4mm), my fault.   Tell him [email protected]  gave you info.

Fans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QRMAJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Might want these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHYVVZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9BRNHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

How hot do the fins get?  May need a higher RPM fan, I haven't run mine yet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#40]
1050 arrived today at 1:30 eastern..  When the driver pulled it out of truck the primmer tube was sticking out of one end of a XL750 box, not sure if that matters, but it wasn't packed very well,  . Unpacked to find the tube was bent.  Called Dillon and spoke to Mike about it, he's was going to talk to shipping and call back with instructions.  6:46 eastern and no call.  I removed this when I shipped to them knowing it would do this, like a spear.

Anyway, I installed some upgrades, my original 1200.00 investment

three off these also

Installed GSI .45 tool head and did a function test, worked as advertised, real test when bullets are dropping.  Collator, well that needs some tinkering, bullets pile up the side sometimes and jam, need to figure a rake of some type to keep them separated.    vid.  https://youtu.be/qGv8d5AveSw

Mounted it on AMMOBOT frame, problem, cooling fins on motor are tall now and with fans on top it hits the brass collator mount, it's a different style than I normally see on a 1050, re-positioned fans at an angle. Hooked up motor and electronics, powered up, pulled handle down, hit reset, hit auto, and away it went, worked perfect, ran RPMs up looking good.

Vid
https://youtu.be/Kkr0OOIKRjM    
Installed brass collator, 17.5" new tube I bought was short, needed a 24.5" tube, which I found in the box of stuff I collected when bought, damn thing is to ceiling, gonna build a lower bench.

Now I need to adjust dies, primer setter, powder drop, and swag rod, then a manual test run.

Getting wiring and switches together to add a kill for powder check, deprimer die, primer pocket checker when used.  AMMOBOT will not offer an upgrade to the MK1, so I have to do my own.

Have pics and vids, trying to get  off phone now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
List of work.  Really happy with everything they did, except packing. Can't believe I didn't go blue years ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Normal for this to be up so high or wrong rod?

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Normal for this to be up so high or wrong rod?

https://i.imgur.com/LaicH4wh.jpg
View Quote

Post a pic of the bellcrank end.  Is it in the failsafe correctly or does the powder drop even have a failsafe device?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Post a pic of the bellcrank end.  Is it in the failsafe correctly or does the powder drop even have a failsafe device?
View Quote

Should I have the tool head spring with ammobot?  I have the gas strut from GSI on it's tool head.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Thought I had room on 223 tool head to have powder checker with bullet drop, seater, and crimp.  Guess not, need more holes. GSI tool head works with all, because bullet feeder/seater are one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Should I have the tool head spring with ammobot?  I have the gas strut from GSI on it's tool head.

https://i.imgur.com/0hx7Ztmh.jpg
View Quote

Looks like the right rod to me.  Mine has a dogleg instead of a spring pin to hold it in but they work the same.  I would bet you are good with that, but is the powder drop setup correctly?  What cartridge are you loading?  The lock nut is not spun down and snugged against the tool head.  If the powder drop is working correctly and belling the case mouth on straight wall cartridges if you are loading them, then run your locknut down.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Looks like the right rod to me.  Mine has a dogleg instead of a spring pin to hold it in but they work the same.  I would bet you are good with that, but is the powder drop setup correctly?  What cartridge are you loading?  The lock nut is not spun down and snugged against the tool head.  If the powder drop is working correctly and belling the case mouth on straight wall cartridges if you are loading them, then run your locknut down.
View Quote

Thanks. Still setting dies, so it will probably change some. Had dies up while checking auto drive.  Looks like Dillon is shipping RT1500 now, got a charge and shipping yesterday.  Sent tech Support an email about primer tube, need that fixed to start loading..
About powder drop. Thought the 1050/1100 was different from the others, they sent one identical to the 550 one, including part that screws in tool head? I know the original part screwed in head was black .
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks. Still setting dies, so it will probably change some. Had dies up while checking auto drive.  Looks like Dillon is shipping RT1500 now, got a charge and shipping yesterday.  Sent tech Support an email about primer tube, need that fixed to start loading..
About powder drop. Thought the 1050/1100 was different from the others, they sent one identical to the 550 one, including part that screws in tool head? I know the original part screwed in head was black .
View Quote

The blue wing nut will be moved once you set the powder drop correctly for your brass length. I am pretty sure your rod is correct.

I don’t know if there is a difference between the big boys and the 550 powder measure. I thought it was the hopper size only.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The blue wing nut will be moved once you set the powder drop correctly for your brass length. I am pretty sure your rod is correct.

I don’t know if there is a difference between the big boys and the 550 powder measure. I thought it was the hopper size only.
View Quote

I could have swore the old powder drop I sent with 1050 was larger.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Starting to wonder about Dillon the more I look into this 1050..  They included a Square D powder drop when unit was repaired.  On the phone I was assured it was all the same, but why different part numbers then.   It has the wrong die for 1050. I questioned the length of powder bar return rod, seemed too long.  Well I started comparing things part numbers are in fact different for rods  1050 - 13960, 550 - 9700, 650 - 13629,  Square D - 13876 one I was sent.  Been on the phone with them twice to get bent primer tube issue fixed because of bad packing and also about  powder drop issue, which they seem to O-well it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top