Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2019 11:46:50 PM EDT
So, I already have a Dead Air Sandman K. I’ve been having issues with it getting stuck on my DA Nox’s across the different 10.5-11.5” 5.56 guns it’s mounted on.

Now, I’m gonna get another can. I have a couple uppers coming in for some builds, a couple URGI’s and Super Duty’s. So they all have Surefire muzzle devices, so I have entertained the idea of just getting an SF can. I’m all for getting another can with a different mounting style; I’m not stuck on one type.  I’ve had 300 BO, and wasn’t super into it so at this point I really only need 5.56 capability. I’ve spent 6 years behind a Surefire suppresses M40, I was pretty happy with it then. Does Surefire bring anything to the table to counter my DA mounting woes? I’m otherwise very happy with my Sandman K.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, in for info curious myself. Although I'll say this I have never heard of a sandman not going on from dirt just not coming off. I have seen the ratchet style not even go on from carbon buildup.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn’t Surefire tell you to shoot the can off when it gets stuck?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You have to if it's stuck. KAC silencers are the same way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I own most military cans SF has made in the last 10 years. They get stuck. Way worse on the Warcomp type mounts. But they stick on all of them sooner rather than later. The SFMB, and SF3P socom mounts, are least sticky in my experience.

Multiple KAC owners and dealers who do Le/mil demos have told me the QDC system from KAC does not stick.  As in, can shot on MG lowers for a whole day of demos, unlocked, weapon tilted down, and the can will all but fall off. I have not personally tested this, but multiple users and dealers (who I am not buying from, or buy at cost from, so no vested interest in BSing me) have said the same things about them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was a thread on this last week I think.

The original Nox muzzle devices were out of spec or made out of the wrong coating or something.

Use a different muzzle device.
View Quote
This. The Nox is a SOLGW product. It is made to be dead air compatible but it is not a dead air product.

SOLGW has had issues with some army runs of NOX. how many clicks are you getting when you Rachel’s your can on ?  You should get at least 10-12.

Try you can with an actual DA muzzle device.

If you find your NOX is out of spec contact SOLGW they will make it right.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Your blaming the DeadAir mount while using a non dead air muzzle device.. I would suggest calling the company up who made the device and talking with them or just swapping it out...

What I can tell you is only what I’ve experienced and that is that the “Keymo” is probably the best and most fool proof QD on the market. In my opinion it’s leaps and bounds better then surefire’s which are known to stick frequently. I understand the dilemma of having all the surefire muzzle devices and if they are pinned/welded then maybe a surefire can makes sense for you but from my experience surefire cans tend to be some of the loudest, most expensive, and generally overhyped cans on the market. DeadAir tend to be some of the better, if not best. Not a fan of the sandman K though.. I think a sandman S would be great for you if you are able to swap those muzzle devices and that’s the route I would go if I was in your shoes..
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
“surefire cans tend to be some of the loudest, most expensive, and generally overhyped cans on the market.”

Don’t forget heaviest.

FWIW, the best QD system is YHM’s. Which is comparable, using an adapter, with most modular suppressors.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a thread on this last week I think.

The original Nox muzzle devices were out of spec or made out of the wrong coating or something.

Use a different muzzle device.
View Quote
The were machined then heat treated to spec which caused a dimensional shift that caused the can to be tight when mounted.

All that has been corrected and fixed. If you have one of those nox, get ahold of them and they will swap it out.

As for SureFire vs dead air. It’s really no comparison; ones a flashlight light company, the other is a silencer company.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d go Sandman S unless you were looking to do a clone build. You may also want to take a look at the Nomad if going down the Dead Air path.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you’re getting a DA can stuck, good luck with a Surefire. I think this has more to do with your SOLGW mount than the suppressor itself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive had a Surefire for like 5 years now

Ive never gotten it stuck
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the RC2 and a Sandman L, so both systems.

If I had to choose it would be the dead air can.

Not saying the RC2 isnt a great can, because it is (i've shot it off twice without issue), but i vastly prefer DA's mounting system over the Surefire's.

My RC2 usually gets stuck on every new mount, so i just took to hitting each new mount with some high grit sandpaper around the collar and slap some lube around it each time i mount it. Ironically i use old leftover froglube for that and it never gets stuck now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ive had a Surefire for like 5 years now

Ive never gotten it stuck
View Quote
I didn’t get my wife pregnant for 5 years...

It’s common. You are careful/lucky. Similar to shooting ASR mounts off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had a can get stuck with Keymo.  Stop using the SOLGW mount and switch to DA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I coat my muzzle devices in fireclean and remove suppressor when warm. Never had an issue getting my SureFire or Sandman suppressors off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info.

SOLGW won’t return my emails. They said some of the earlier ones were improperly heat treated. They haven’t gotten back to me on whether mine was from that batch, so I’m gonna just dump em and go back to the DA mounts.

I may just pick up an RC2 for kicks. I forgot about the shooting off the cans thing, I remember that being the case with their legacy cans as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This if you can get the collar unlocked.

Both are loud but the DA has a better mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top