Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2001 12:04:59 AM EDT
Hi, I remember reading a post a while back where you had taken off the old ZM Weapons folding stock (on your LR300) and were trying to adapt an ACE LTD stock. How did that work out? Got any pictures? Is the ace stock lighter? Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi,
Got your email and replied, but I'll post it here anyway, just realized you have an AOL addy, for some reason I can't send messages there

The Ace stock is lighter, it's more comfortable to shoot because the standard steel ZM stock has a rough sandpaper like surface, the Ace unit is made of aluminum, the upper tube is covered by a plastic like material so it won't freeze on your face.  I don't quite like the folding mechanism though.  On the ZM stock you don't have to do anything to unfold, you only have to push it down when you want to fold it.  Ace stock you have to push it in an unnatural way to fold and unfold.
I talked to the owner at Ace, he said he'd put the Ace stock on the ZM mechanism, a nice guy, he used to work for ZM.  He also told me they'd have new folding mechanisms soon, that was back in April :(
Also the Ace stock extension (that screws into the lower) isn't nearly long enough, when installed it only leaves a little bit inside the lower.  It looks cool but if I want to fold/unfold in a hurry, and want something that will absoultely work with the ZM system (the Ace stock isn't exactly designed with ZM in mind, the ZM stock/mechanism is), Ace specifically says it's for the short recoil system.  The ZM stock extension has a tube in which a synthetic buffer resides, when the bolt carrier is blown all the way back during firing, it hits the buffer instead of bare metal.  There is no such accomodation with the Ace stock extension, since all it is is a piece of solid, threaded aluminum with two holes in the rear for the folding mechanism to screw in. I'd stick with the ZM stock, or send the stock and ZM folding mechanism in to have Ace install the Ace stock into the ZM mechanism.
Here's a pic:

Here's the ZM stock/folding mechanism

Here's the Ace stock/mechanism/extension
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, thank you so much for the very detailed post. I guess I'll send in the ZM stock and have them convert it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No prob, I think I'll do the same
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top