Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 8:49:18 AM EDT
Okey, I have a few questions for all the proud DPMS owners in here How2. Does anyone know if the DPMS Sweet Sixteen would be okay as a target gun? How accurate is it?
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Daily-PMS

Customer service need lots of improvement before a buy from them.

But that is only my opinion.

Hawaii
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's my DPMS Sweet Sixteen.  Mine was ordered with a high-rider upper and fluted 16" black teflon coated SS bull barrel.  I've since added an Accuracy Speaks comp trigger and Ergo Grip pistol grip.  The scope is Tasco Custom Shop 30mm tube, 8-40X56mm.  It easily shot 0.750" with factory ammo (Winchester 50gr BSTs) right out of the box.  Much smaller groups .5's and .4's have been achieved with my reloads using 26.0gr of Varget and 55gr Win BSTs.  To make a long story short, this rifle is more accurate than its shooter.  My rifle slings spent cases about 5 to 6 ft.  I would consider a 20" barrel for target application, especially at longer ranges - NOT that a 20" is more accurate - IT ISN'T, but velocity will be 150 - 180 ft/sec higher at extended ranges - so you'd have to contend with less bullet drop.  I use my rifle for thumping varmints - shots seldom exceed 150 yds - unfortunately I don't live in woodchuck country.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Daily-PMS

Customer service need lots of improvement before a buy from them.

But that is only my opinion.

Hawaii

I just bought a DPMS upper to go with a DPMS lower and kit that I built this spring.  I have to admit that I was not impressed by their service.

I ordered a post-ban upper and they sent me a pre-ban, so I had to grind off the lug and attach a permanent muzzle brake myself.  

It was very accurate right out of the box, but I am not impressed by the quality of the bolt carrier as compared to my Bushmaster.  The DPMS firing pin is not fully chromed and I have had some extraction problems.  It's possible that I needed more CLP in the bolt carrier when breaking it in, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the extraction problems.  I will let you know as i put more rounds through it.  (16" HBAR upper, fixed CAR-stock lower).
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The "AR15.COM 2002 LEGP" rifles are DPMS for a reason!

Also, anyone questioning the integrity of their customer service, should have been at the BRC, to see these guys in action.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a 16" Stainless Fluted Bull Barrell upper.  Never a problem with it.  It was nice looking and shot very well too!  Accuracy was enough to punch holes in quarters at 100 yds.  (with a very good Leupold scope)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The "AR15.COM 2002 LEGP" rifles are DPMS for a reason!

Also, anyone questioning the integrity of their customer service, should have been at the BRC, to see these guys in action.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rifle.  Great accuracy and looks fantastic!  Still, what happened, happened.  When I called to inquire, they were like:  "well, you'll have to wait 2 months for a post-ban..."  I am a sales rep, too, and it's probably not how I would've handled it.  I wish I were happier about it because they're located in MN.  I'm sure my rifle will work fine, but that's the experience I had with DPMS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's my DPMS Sweet Sixteen.

Quick question - how the hell do you shoot that thing?! Don't get me wrong, not critiquing you (I have a very similar setup myself, though I have the extended rail.) That scope of your's is waaaaay too far back to be shot comfortably, isn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top