Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 2:11:22 PM EDT
Looking for some help here guys..... I'm looking at the Bushmaster Varminter and the DPMS Panther Extreme Super Bull Twenty-Four and I'm not sure which one to go with. I've looked allot on this site about this same issue and none really with this type of AR mostly questions about the Shorty AK. I want it to be very acurate and reliable. The Bushmaster would be about $200 cheeper not includeing shipping or FFL transfer. I really like the looks of the DPMS with the heavy barrel that it has but mostly what I have read the Bushmaster barrel would last longer because its chrome lined and not SS. The only thing I don't like about the bush master is how the barrel dia. is smaller after the handgaurd and the DPMS keeps the same dia. the whole lenght. This will be my first AR and I just want something that is going to last. The only think that is keeping me from making up my mind is looks. The smaller dia. after the handgaurd on the Bushmaster. But I know looks should matter as much as useability. If I could just get a little input to help me out a little that would be great. Thanks

Dustin
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
BUSHMASTER !
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto.....Bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Blow them both off and get a COLT !!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Varminter and can shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with Black Hills match ammo. I feel the gun still has more in it since I am still an amatuer shooter.

-Kc
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If accuracy is a main concern, go with the DPMS becasue of the SS barrel.  The chrome lining lends itself to be slightly less accurate than the ss as the lining slightly varies in thickness.  For durability, chrome. For accuracy, ss.    

Both are great companies with excellent service, you cant go wrong with either choice  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
For some reason it seems alot of people think the SS is just a tad more accurate than other barrel materials when it comes to AR's.  I won't argue with them I have a J&T free floated SS barrel on one AR and it's the most accurate one I have, though none of the others are built for extreme accuracy.  I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, but I'd go with the DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the Bushmaster Varmint rifle is not chrome lined.  It and the DCM model are the only two models that are not, so that is not a factor.

Are you sure you want your first AR to be such a long, heavy SOB?  You will still get great accuracy with a 16" or 20" HBAR, and it will be a more versatile rifle.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks imposter, the barrel is not chrome lined. I just had a DCM/CMP rifle built for me by Frank White at Compass Lake and talked to him quite a bit about barrels. With button rifled and hammer forged barrels, he said he doesn't see any difference between CM and SS as far as accuracy goes, but the SS may last a tad bit longer in throat errosion department. With that said, I'd go with the Bushy, it should have better resale value.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
dieselpwer,
I have the DPMS Panther Bull 24 Special and all that I can say is that it ROCKS! I had to install a riser because the scope was too low without it. I have a Bushnell 6x18x50AO on it and the rifle is alot more accurate than I am. This summer I'm going to workup a nice handload for it. I've owned this rile for 2 years and have had zero problems. I looked at a Bushy V-match when I was buying this rifle and when you compare them side by side DPMS is the best choice. I haven't looked at the Bushy Varmit rifle but it looks alot like the V-match with a 24 inch barrel. If you buy one of these rifles, you will need a bi-pod! I bought the Harris and have really like it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for all the info. I duno where I got that the Bushy was chrome lined from but I read that somewhere. I have read over the specs on there website and it doesn’t say anything about it being chrome lined. Any way I guess I still have some thinking to do now that I have this info. Imposter, the main purpose of this rifle for me is just a real accurate kinda long distance semi auto that’s why I’m going with the 24" barrel is just for the few extra FPS. Thanks again for the info everyone!!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#11]
You got a lot of good info this time. I bought the DPMS 24" bull upper for the same reasons you are considering it, long range accuracy.  The only drawback, weight. The upper weighs more than my Armalite 20" NM, or my Bush 16" ES. Plan to put the Upper on the Armalite lower because of the 2 stage trigger. Varmint shooting and LR informal hole punching. Always consider another upper for more versatility.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's your first I'd get a BM & make it a 20"  A2.

OR you could get a BM dissipator & have Barry
from www.metalcraft-ar15.com

build you a "long range" upper.  

I think the only BM barrels NOT chrome lined are the Varmint & DCM uppers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how accurate a Bushamster 20" HBAR is, especially with a match trigger and free floated the barrel.  More barrel adds very little additional velocity (60 fps or so, a 1.7% increase), and will have no positive effect on accuracy.  

I think reliablity will probably be somewhat better with the 20" also.  The entire system is based around that barrel length, and the gas and ejection systems might be a little off with the different barrel length.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Blow them both off and get a COLT !!!

"BLOW COLT" save your money.  Bushmaster all the way.  Colt just cost more and they put them damn sear blocks in there receivers and cut the bottoms off there bolt carriers so you cannot put in the legal lightning links, or drop in sears.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
As much as I love Bushmaster - its what I have and I love it,  I would go with the DPMS for an accurate rifle.  It's definitely established quite a reputation in its own right.  Lots of stories and articles on it as the standard accurate AR15 rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Then buy a Bushmaster lower and order a DPMS Upper.

Now you have yo love this.  Good one cnatra

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If you were to assume that Bushmaster and DPMS were equal in quality and price, I'd still buy the Bushmaster because DPMS has pulled some truly unpleasant stunts on people.   One specific instance is the four position selector package. (Safe, semi, burst, full) It was designed by a gunsmith as a project and he put it in a few rifles.  DPMS got hold of one and stole the idea and marketed it without giving a penny to the guy who invented it.   Sure, he SHOULD have copyrighted, trademarked, or patented it, but he was a nice guy.  DPMS just TOOK it and started making money on it without so much as a 'thank you'.   Subway rat bastards.
I wouldn't buy a screw from them.

Colt: Sure, they know how to make a good rifle, but the sear block is a lame idea with no point to it, and their open backed bolt carrier is equally stupid.  How many people have EVER installed one of those conversion kits or lightning links in an AR-15 bolt illegally, anyway?   Not more than a handful, at most.
And you can buy genuine M16 pattern carriers any time you want to, anyway.    And let's not forget Colt's equally stupid large pin fire control components, either.

It looks to me like Colt HATES customers that aren't buying hundreds of guns at a time.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
BM! BM! All the way!  h.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top