Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:27:33 PM EDT
In general are the current Springfield Armory M1A's built good?  Recently, I considered a Polytech M14 but have decided to reconsider SA M1A's because of the extra work needed to the Polytechs in case the headspace is bad. Plus Chicom replacement parts are in limited supply.  

I've liked my SA Nat. Match for a long time & would like to get a standard base model for general use.  What's the current thoughts on the M1A's now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally I think they are pretty good.

Try to find one on a shelf and go through it before purchase, make an inventory of GI parts. If you find
one with a GI oprod, bolt, and trigger housing, wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

Saw a SA recently on the shelf at local gunstore with TRW bolt... go figure...

I might suggest that every bad story you here about current Springfield guns is offset by 100 or more positive stories... The old maxim that if you make a customer happy they tell one friend, you piss off a customer they tell 10 friends ... or post to a newsgroup...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In my neck of the woods it's very rare to see one in a shop, and since I can get a standard w/birch stock from my bud that has an FFL for a little less than $1000 I'll have to see what I get.

I'm going to swap out the birch stock with a USGI fiberglass that I got from Fred's a few years back.  It's camo'd from Fred's so I'll put it on & maybe get one of those Amega Ranges scout mounts (when they're available) to replace the handguard. Then I can put a Aimpoint Comp M3 on it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I would highly suggest going over a new SA M1A to check for burrs. My worst spots were the Op Rod and a couple corners on the bolt. Mine were not deburred at all and quite sharp. Watch the finish as you start shooting to check for sharp wear lines, just in case you missed any.

Currently, of my small and growing 7.62 NATO collection, the SA M1A is in last place. It is a very tight race though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Look elsewhere, like at an LRB for example.    

My M1A had to go back to the factory three different times before it would work correctly.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do get one, get one with a GI stock, either birch or the painted black crinkle job (which will peel BTW). I made the mistake of buying one with the aftermarket walnut stock without the cutout - the stock was a POS that didn't fit the action correctly and SA Inc told me I was a crybaby basically. I had to purchase a GI stock from Fred's out of my own pocket on top of the $1250+ I already spent to make the rifle right.

SA inc has substantial quality control issues, and it's well documented here and elsewhere. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The occassional clinker gets out - seems like '03-'04 was a bad period QC wise at SA, Inc.  Their M1 Garand reproduction did seem to have more than it's fair share of problems.

I've owned 4 M1A's and still own 3.  I've had to send SiG's and other well thought of pieces back for warranty work, but never an M1A.  With SA's lifetime warranty, I don't worry about it either...

LRB, Smith and Fulton owners all find something to bitch about as well.  The difference is that all of those rifles sold combined don't put a dent in SA's numbers.

I don't give any credence to the cast versus forged issue either.  The cast SA receiver has proven reliable for decades now.  

The vast majority of M1A's are terrific firearms and a great value...with or without GI parts.  Even if a few folks would tell you differently...

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
1971 vintage M1A serial numbers 000001 and 000049 are still hanging tough.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got several hundred rounds through my SA standard. I had it apart a couple days ago for a long overdue detailed cleaning and noted that I had both an H&R bbl and trigger assmebly.  A few of the mags I bought through Ammoman needed attention before functioning well but overall I am very happy with my SA M1A and if I had another $1000 laying around, I'd buy another one.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I chose a SA Super Match over a LRB or Fulton Armory because of the positive experiences shooters I know have had.  I know LRB & FA make great products but I'm sure they put out the occasional dog.  This debate seems a lot like the glock vs 1911 debates that get resurrected every other week.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Different,

Do you really have the first M1A ever sold to the public?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

LRB, Smith and Fulton owners all find something to bitch about as well.  

This LRB Owner has never had a bitch about anything

On the other side, I was at Sportsman's Whse today, and I looked at 6 different SA, Inc M1A's today and not a one of them had USGI Parts in them, all cast parts  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
how can you tell if the parts are surplus GI parts???
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Different,

Do you really have the first M1A ever sold to the public?

I have M1A serial number 000049.  M1A serial number 000001 is owned by a gentleman in Texas but I was given photos of it.  The photos of M1A serial number 000001 (one with Elmer Ballance in the photo) are posted on my web site.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top