Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 9:19:07 AM EDT
I just got a criterion barrel screwed on my former woodless dane.  problem is i can't get the gas cylinder back on, it's too tight!  anything i can do, or should i take it back to the smith and have him finish it?  i'd rather not, it's pretty clear the guy knows nothing about garands
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
i managed to tap it in place with a rubber mallet.  i fitted it against the gas cylinder of my other garand, with similar results.  the grooves are just very tight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i managed to tap it in place with a rubber mallet.  i fitted it against the gas cylinder of my other garand, with similar results.  the grooves are just very tight.

Well, that's a good thing.  Unless you couldn't get it on of course.  People with old barrels are always trying to get it tight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
that's what i figured.... as long as it goes on the tighter the better.  it holds the front handguard in place very tightly as well
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]

as long as it goes on the tighter the better. it holds the front handguard in place very tightly as well

Uh....  Tannerite.... a tight gas cylinder is a good thing....  a gas cylinder that is tight against the front handguard is a BAD thing.  

The M1 is designed to have the front handguard rather loose.  Many will rattle when the rifle is shaken.  This is to prevent stringing when the rifle heats up.  It also prevents cracking the handguard as the metal expands.

There should be a small gap of from .010-.020" between the rear ring of the gas cylinder and the front handguard ferrule.   You will need to trim the handguard if yours is too tight....

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks, didnt know that.  i'll scoot the gas cyl up a bit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top