Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2010 7:44:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 8:45:09 AM EDT by Firebug93]
Which one and why?
ETA: on a 30-06 bolt action
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:31:48 AM EDT

Push feed. I like that I can put a round in the open chamber by hand if I want to and chamber it. I don't think controlled feed allows that.
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:59:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Shooter62:

Push feed. I like that I can put a round in the open chamber by hand if I want to and chamber it. I don't think controlled feed allows that.

FN SPR and I think the new Model 70
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 12:09:02 PM EDT by brasidas]

You are incorrect (about chambering a round, not about being corrected). Winchesters have a beveled extractor, which allows a round to be inserted directly into the chamber. The bolt is then shut and the extractor snaps over the case rim.

Other guns with Mauser-type extractors may not be beveled, I am not sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 12:23:17 PM EDT by X02Wyvern]
Originally Posted By brasidas:

You are incorrect (about chambering a round, not about being corrected). Winchesters have a beveled extractor, which allows a round to be inserted directly into the chamber. The bolt is then shut and the extractor snaps over the case rim.

owning several guns with mauser style actions, most mauser claws are beveled and rounds can be loaded in one at a time.. The M1903 for example even has a magazine cut off so rounds can be chambered one at a time.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:31:04 PM EDT
Unless you are hunting things that will stomp you or eat you then it doesn't matter. If you are hunting things that will stomp you or eat you then you might want to look at something bigger around than a .30.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:33:12 PM EDT
Controlled feed is nice on a bolt-action.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:31:29 PM EDT
Unless you are planning on shooting something that will chew, gore or stomp you, or are planning on shooting your rifle while hanging upside down, then the push feed will be fine. Nothing wrong with a CRF or a pushfeed. I would buy a 30-06 that has either. I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor as to what rifle I would buy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:48:39 PM EDT
Controlled feed. It's just more complete, mechanically, without adding any complexity to the mechanism itself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 9:35:40 AM EDT by Green_Canoe]
I like controlled feed on guns w/ a blind mag (or if i don't feel like unlatching the floor plate). I just slide the bolt back and forth and the rounds come out. No rotation of the bolt handle required.

That said I still own a Rem. 700 so it's not that big a deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:44:25 AM EDT

I always thought that controlled feed ment no dropping a round in the chamber. Learn something every day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:48:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By colklink:

I always thought that controlled feed ment no dropping a round in the chamber. Learn something every day.

Well, there is truth to that. You're flexing the extractor in a manner it is not designed to flex.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:50:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:

Originally Posted By colklink:

Well, there is truth to that. You're flexing the extractor in a manner it is not designed to flex.

Actually I believe a good CRF extractor is designed to do just that.

Some are beveled, and I have seen some that aren't. I was taught to push in on the long part of the extractor on the side of the bolt. The spring tension will flex the extractor outward and allow it to move over the rim.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:11:18 AM EDT
I have a rem 700 in .375 H&H. Might use it on Elk some day no plans for big dangerous game. But just in case a rabid Elephant escapes from the zoo, I tested the merits of push feed in an adverse loading situation.

Any which way including over my head upside down, the push feed managed to get the cartridge into the chamber. Only when working the action ridiculously slow did some issues arise.

Now yes if I get clocked by a 600lb lion in mid feed, maybe some other issue will arise, but I will be out of the fight at that point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 6:21:58 PM EDT by FluffyTheCat]

The OP asked about which would be best on a .30-06 bolt action.

As luck would have it, I'm holding that very gun. It is a Husqvarna Model 640 that was made in 1953. It was made in Sweden on a FN 98 Mauser action. The rifle is beautifully balanced and it points like a dream. The rounds feed as smoothly as greased eels through a funnel and the gun shoots sub MOA groups all day.

The only rifle that might compare to this would be a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 featherweight. In case you haven't guessed, I'm in love with this Husqvarna. She will be my hunting rifle of a lifetime.

Fluffy
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:58:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:01 AM EDT
Wouldn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:58:08 AM EDT
for an ought six, it really doesn't matter, BUT I am a big fan of the Winchester Model 70 pre-64 which had controlled round feeding
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 4:38:19 AM EDT by 17Z]
Push feed is just fine, plus most feature a bolt-face mounted ejector...which launches emptys better than the old Mauser system which depends on bolt speed to achieve good ejection.

Some prefer the old Mauser system because of the ejector...can just pull the bolt back slow, and retrieve the empty. Generaly that's a reloader thing...don't want to stoop and look for emptys.

The 'Mauser claw' is a good system no doubt!.....Bolt-gun dangerous game hunters expounding on it's virtues and strengths, and belittling anything that doesn't have the 'Mauser claw extractor'. But even the Mauser extractor can have issues with a stuck case...and it ain't anything magical when it comes to loading either. I've had 'the world's greatest rifle' (Mauser's) push the round loading ahead of the extractor and jam up the works.

Technology has caught up with the Mauser system....the push feed is just as good...Even the mighty AR is push feed, and popularity is about the only reason the system is still in use....shooters read what was published 50 years ago by the great hunters and shooters...and want the Mauser system on the rifle they use...and will pay a substantial chunk to get it.

My veiwpoint...unless your going to be trying to work the bolt on your rifle upside-down...with a grizzly bear chewing on your ass at the same time, or don't want to stoop over to pick up emptys when target shooting...push feed is perfect...some maybe better because of the ejection.....and the truth be known...a push feed will work fine upside down too...just don't tary while working the bolt.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:57:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 7:58:17 AM EDT by mike_nds]
Top Top