Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 7:37:24 PM EDT
I just cleaned the bolt on my Marlin 25N .22lr. I took an old toothbrush, diped it in Shooters Choice, and scrubbed the outside of the bolt. Then I wiped it down with a rag, and lubed it. Was this a good decision? I'm having second thoughts about it, I'm not sure why, but I am. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont see why that would be bad

I use Hoppes 9 and CLP to clean and lube.

Edited because its "Hoppes" and not "Hobbes"
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, thanks. Do you use Break Free CLP on the bolt and the bore? I know it's bad to use (Break Free) CLP in the bore because of the teflon, but is it bad on the bolt? I ask this because I am thinking of trying Break Free CLP because I am fed up with the Hoppes lube, (orange squeeze bottle) it really sucks. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
i use clp on everything in all my guns..they have been working so far.i clean the barrel/bore with sum crap that desolves the copper and brass and then i clean that up with CLP,,run sum dry patches and then the last patch is lightly coated with clp..no rust , no problems from storing them .and i clean the bolts and other metal parts with CLP.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Use Hoppe's #9 instead of Shooter's Choice. Shooter's Choice is a copper removing bore cleaner. Using it to wash away powder residue is just wasting an expensive product. Hoppe's #9 is perfect for this chore. All my .22's get cleaned with Hoppe's #9, interior, exterior, bore, everything - everywhere.

I use plain Hoppe's gun oil or CLP to lube my .22's. Sometimes a dry lube for the semi-autos, because they blow powder crap all around in the action and a wet lube will collect it and make a bigger mess, sooner.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the teflon in Break Free CLP? Isn't that bad in the bore? What is the CLP that the military uses now? It's not Break Free anymore is it? Is it avaiable to the general public? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Hoppes #9 to clean just about anything on or in my guns. I then use RemOil to keep everything slick. I occasionally use CLP to wipe down some of my toys but not much lately. FWIW I don't like Hoppes oil/lube WTH ever it is, it's too thick and kinda funky IMHO. For my 30/30 I use Hoppes #9 Benchrest formula to remove the copper from the bore. Sweets 7.62 and some of the others are too harsh (IMO) for me to use in the bore of MY guns. Assuming htat the bolt on the 25N is similar to the one in my 25MN, did you take it apart as well?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to take the bolt apart, but I have no idea how to. If you know how, please IM me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Where in Cali are you?

Well heres how you take the bolt apart. First decokc the bolt by twisting the head with a pair of pliers. Then twist the front of the bolt, where the firing pin/extractors are. Twist until that part comes off. Then at the back of the bolt there is a screw, unscrew untill it comes out. Its small, so dont loose it. Then it all comes apart. Place everything ir reverse order
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Snorkel_Bob. I live in La Crescenta. Or as other people say, "In the valley." Ever been to the Angeles Shooting Range?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
nope Im in the central valley. ive my own ranges I go to. The one in Visalia is my fav. Ive got keys and I can go whenever I want. I prefer at night when I dont have to worry about sharing with LEOs
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess I should stop by here mrole often. Snorkel_Bob is on the money.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey hickboy, I used to go to Angeles Range all the time when I was a kid. Ever get up to Fish Canyon in San Gabriel Valley?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
sk1911, I have never been up to Fish Canyon, but someone at Turners told me about it. Have you seen the new commericials for Angeles Shooting Ranges? They started showing them for the first time like last week. I love it, they are soooo pro-gun... in CA too!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top