Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:52:47 AM EDT
My friend just got his M44 carbine last night. We have completly broken it down and are cleaning it. The stock is melting the cosmoline as I type. My question is, how long should it take (roughly) for all the cosmoline to melt off. P.S. There doesn't seem to be a lot of it, but i'm not sure because this is my first time cleaning an old rifle. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:59:12 AM EDT
i don't know what you mean by melt and i can't see the gun so i can't tell you how long it will take to clean. you will have to do it until it's done. when it's clean all the waxy buildup will be gone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:18:09 PM EDT
Sorry, the cosmoline is "Dripping" off the stock. How long should it take?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:00:07 PM EDT
Once again, too vague. What methods and materials are you using to clean the stock?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:17:00 PM EDT
Maybe a week if using the "leave it in the sun" system. But you will still get more leakage whenever you fire it. The hot barrel will ensure that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
Ok, I must be missing something here. What should I be using to clean off the cosmoline? All I did was take off the barreled action and put the wood stock propped up on a fence outside. There was cosmoline dripping, but if there is a faster way to do it, i'm all ears!! Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:41:16 PM EDT
My russian M44 was the nastiest one to clean up.

that damn grease they used did the job.. the crap got everywhere!

I did a total dissasembly. I used EasyOff oven cleaner (hi octane stuff(yellow ?))

I had to refinish the stock, but its clean and pretty now
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:41:55 PM EDT
7IDL, do you have any pics of your rifle? I would like to see it after it is all pretty'd up. Thanks either way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:08:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:58:03 PM EDT
7IDL, that is a great looking rifle!! I guess my friend and I have some work ahead of us!! If you could, please explain how you stripped and refinished the entire rifle. You could IM me if you want. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:25:16 PM EDT
Here's the quick and un-dirty on it

strip all the metal off the stock that you can..

using easyoff, in / over something to protect everything else.. let it soak for about an hour.

rinse off with a sponge and hot water.
Repeat as necessary.

when the wood is free of grease / finish, you may want to use a hot iron and wet cloth to raise any dents at this time.

after the stock is clean and dry, follow the instructions for staining and finishing the stock. I think I used Tung oil as the finish.

while waiting on the stock, you could do a total disassemble on the metal. Soak/clean the parts in the cleaner you prefer. I think I used kerosene to get the heavy stuff. IIRC, some people use paint thinner or acetone. (test what you want to use before doing your whole rifle)

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:34:02 PM EDT
Thanks, should I use EasyOff for the metal and the wood? I've heard something about the color of the bottle being important. Yellow or something?? Anyway, thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:15:56 PM EDT
yellow can

not for the metal parts
Top Top