Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:07:38 AM EDT
My end caps are aluminum and I was wondering is Kroil Oil or PB blaster safe on them?  I have heard Hoppes #9 is not good on aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My end caps are aluminum and I was wondering is Kroil Oil or PB blaster safe on them?  I have heard Hoppes #9 is not good on aluminum.

I know that Kroil is safe on aluminum. AAC recommends it for cleaning their rimfire cans.

I've never heard that about #9. I had thought it was about the mildest (safest on a wide-range of metals, plastics) solvent on the market.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
SWR recommends both Kroil and WD-40 for the warlock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered some aluminum safe carbon remover from orison mfg, one type is for cleaning carbon and powder residue from firearms, the other is a carbon removing dip, that although designed to clean carbon from auto pistons, it is claimed to be non corrossive, ph neutral, aluminum safe, so I'm going to try them on my Coastal Passport suppressor, hopefully it will work, and I'll let you know how it works, if it doesn't and dissolves the baffle, at least they are cheap to replace through Coastal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's wrong with Simple Green?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it attacks aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with Simple Green?

Simple green reacts with aluminum and causes it to become brittle. There was a safetygram that was put out by the Air Force back in the late '90's, early 2000's that hade a huge article on not using Simple Green to clean aircraft parts, since there is alot of aluminum used in modern aircraft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top