Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 8:19:17 AM EDT
I have read over the threads on getting a Class III MG.  Am I correct in thinking it's a $200 tax, FBI check and a letter from my CLEO.  The only tough part is the CLEO, right?  

Also, are there MG kits you can buy to assemble or do you have to buy one that was built before a certain date.  

Lastly, can you convert a AR15 to an M16 by buying the correct parts, legally I mean??

Thanks for the input guys.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have read over the threads on getting a Class III MG.  Am I correct in thinking it's a $200 tax, FBI check and a letter from my CLEO.  The only tough part is the CLEO, right?  

Basically that's it. All in all, if you have a nice sheriff, the whole process is pretty painless.

Also, are there MG kits you can buy to assemble or do you have to buy one that was built before a certain date.  

Not really. There is still the odd registered Sten tube that hasn't been built up yet, but most machineguns are already fully assembled. Besides, you'll pay as much for a ready to shoot Sten as the blank tube, so there really isn't much point in it.

Lastly, can you convert a AR15 to an M16 by buying the correct parts, legally I mean??

You can either buy a registered drop in auto sear of a lightning link. That is the only two ways to legally convert an AR15. Links run from $2000-3000 and sears usually go for $3000-4000.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yep
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Just to state the obvious you'll want a gun on a Form 4.

You're already up to speed on the need for a friendly CLEO.  I would make sure of the local situation before doing 'anything' else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You're already up to speed on the need for a friendly CLEO.  I would make sure of the local situation before doing 'anything' else.

Actually, if you really have your pick, you want a gun on a form 5. I've got three of them that way and they all transferred tax free
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if you really have your pick, you want a gun on a form 5. I've got three of them that way and they all transferred tax free

Pony B.,
you're absolutely correct.  I almost went back and edited to say "transferrable" but then figured what the heck ...I'll slide !  (Wrong)

By the way, good "picking."
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes and no. The CLEO needs to directly sign your form 4. You don't need a letter or anything else like that.

The $200 tax is applied for each form 4 transfer. If your in state and buy from an individual, that is one transfer. Or if you buy from a Class III dealer (form 3 to form 4) that is one transfer. However, if you buy from an individual out of state, you have to pay two transfers (which you can work out with the seller). It would go something like this: Seller to Class III dealer in his/her state (Form 4 to Form 3) $200 tax. Dealer to Dealer (Form 3 to Form 3) no tax. Dealer in your state to you (Form 3 to Form 4) $200 tax. Bottom line is there can be a $400 tax involved if you buy out of state.

You could buy a Lightning link, Drop in Autosear, or a registered receiver and build the rifle around the registered part. However, most RRs come with the full gun. (Note: I would recommend a RR).  

The answer to the question I think your asking  is no. However, if you buy a registered DIAS or LL, you can add those to a pre-existing gun (since it is the DIAS and/or LL that is the registered part.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pony B.,
you're absolutely correct.  I almost went back and edited to say "transferrable" but then figured what the heck ...I'll slide !  (Wrong)

By the way, good "picking."

I just got lucky and ran into a deal where a PD was wanting to unload a few guns and didn't mind transferring them straight out into my greedy little hands.

Sure was nice saving $600 though.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top