Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/5/2002 7:32:50 PM EST
I know nothing about the forms, taxes, class 3 or anything. How would a regular citizen from start to finish legally obtain an M16 or similar?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:43:01 PM EST
this is very genral, and pry not what you looking for. but anyway

pick out the weapon, and arrainge that you will buy it (depepding on seller, you may pay now, may pay later) now, you must get your stamp. im not sure how, but you get a form, and get fingerprinted. after you have your form you can get your gun from the dealer. the stamp will cost 200$. it will take upto 6 months for the paperwork (so i have heard). for a detailed answer, go to the class 3 forum here at ar15.com. this is right up their ally. also, a good way to do it would get to know somone with class 3, and have them walk you through it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:24:49 PM EST
1. Make sure the state you live in allows NFA items such as machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, silencers, etc. Some states allow all NFA items and some states allow certain ones and prohibit others.

2. Locate a Class III firearms dealer in your home state. Generally dealers charge $100 to do the paperwork for you (Form 4) for the transfer.

3. Locate the item you wish to purchase and arrange payment and shipment to the Class III dealer in your home state shipment. Get all the info about the item such as barrel length, overall length, serial number, manufacturer. You will need this info for the Form 4.

4. Take the Form 4 (2 copies)completed by your Class III dealer and have them signed by the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the jurisdiction of your residence. This could be a chief of police, sheriff, and I heard that District Attorney works, too.

5. Have your fingerprints made on 2 sets of fingerprint cards. Your dealer should provide these for you or you can get them from ATF. You will need to have the prints professionally made - the regular everyday office ink pad will not work. You can probably have them taken at the same place and time as getting the CLEO signature.

6. Get 2 passport sized photos made - 1 for each copy of your Form 4. Photos should be taped to each Form 4 in the space provided by placing a strip of clear scotch type tape across each edge, making sure to cover the entire edge.

7. Return the 2 copies of your CLEO signed Form 4 with photos and 2 fingerprint cards to your Class III dealer along with a check or money order made payable to the Department of the Treasury in the amount of $200. The Class III dealer will complete the Form 4's and mail them with your check and fingerprint cards to the ATF.

8. Your Class III dealer will hold the NFA item until he receives your returned copy of your Form 4 with tax stamp.

9. Wait about 3-6 months and your Class III dealer should call when the Form 4 returns and you can then take possession of the NFA item.

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:39:28 PM EST
Maybe there should be a FAQ for this forum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:21:20 AM EST
Before doing anything do the following first:

1 - Verify the state you live in allows full autos.

2 - Verify the local sheriff will sign.

I know two people that live near each other but in different counties. One can own one but the other can not because the sheriff won't sign.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:39:40 PM EST
CALL Ms. Cleo.

She will guide you through the Process. That's how i got mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:42:53 PM EST
!!!! There is a legality forum and an M16/Full Auto forum.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:05:15 PM EST
And be prepared to spend several thousand on buying it.

I don't think full auto is worht all that money, but thats just me.
Top Top