Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 11:25:16 AM EDT
One of my Great uncles passed away the other day & My aunt gave me an Inland M1 carbine that he was working on, He rebarreled it with a new chrome lined barrel, Reparked it & refinished the stock; It Looks beautiful! The problem is that when I checked headspace the bolt will not close on the Go Gauge. Can I use a chamber finishing reamer & ream it out to proper size?Will the Chrome Lining prevent me form doing this?  Are there any other solutions?
Can I file the bolt locking lugs & Re harden them?
Should I just rebarrel with a the New non chrome lined Marlin made barrel I found laying around in my uncles shop?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Can I file the bolt locking lugs & Re harden them?

NO! You should NOT have to mess with the bolt.  The issue is, I'm 90% certain, with the barrel.

I would take it to a gunsmith and ask how much he'd charge to finish ream it.  The reamer is not cheap, something close to $90.  

If nothing else, replacement barrels are easy enough to come by.

Another thing: how certain are you he didn't rechamber it to something else?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you done a chamber casting and slugged the barrel yet?  Do those things before any reaming.  Leave the bolt lugs alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’ve got access to any other bolts, try swapping them out.  You might get lucky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw quite a few M1 Carbines in the last 2 years with this problem. Did the bbl come from KY Imports? Most of the ones I saw (approx 30) were well worn then hard chrome plated and sold as "Like New". At least 1/4 of them had head space problems. You can cut hard chrome with a carbide ream (but try to find one). Don't dick with the bolt. Change the bbl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top